Low Speed Turning shudder

Old July 5th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain Coleman

Default Low Speed Turning shudder

Hello
I've got a 97 2wd Exp with 120K on to odo. I just had my four ball joints
and outer tie rod ends replaced. When I got the truck back from the
alignment shop I noticed a shudder when turning at low speed. I notice it
most when backing out of the driveway. The folks at the alignment shop said
it might be the rack and pinion. Anything else I should try first? Any
comments or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks.

Old July 6th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

We see a lot of steering shudder when stopped or at low speeds when there
is air in the PS fluid. The best way is to use an adapter on top of the PS
reservoi and apply vacuum to the system to draw any entrained air out of the
oil... *Most* times, just driving for a while can get rid of the problem,
but not always...

Old July 6th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jacob

I had a similar problem with my '95 XLT and took it to the dealer many times
when it was new. It kept doing this until when I had about 50,000 miles I
had the transmission fluid changed, and ever since, the problem disappeared!
I have changed the fluid twice since then, and it has 116,000 miles on it
and it's doing fine! I change the oil every 3000 miles, and do the other
stuff that comes up.

Old July 6th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
gordo

"Captain Coleman" > wrote in message
> Hello
> I've got a 97 2wd Exp with 120K on to odo. I just had my four ball joints
> and outer tie rod ends replaced. When I got the truck back from the
> alignment shop I noticed a shudder when turning at low speed. I notice it
> most when backing out of the driveway. The folks at the alignment shop
> said it might be the rack and pinion. Anything else I should try first?
> Any comments or suggestions appreciated.
> Thanks.

If you have the optional traction lock differential, that could possibly be
it.
Changing differential fluid and adding the special oil additive should stop
shuddering of rear axle.
http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/spec1998.htm
Chart is for 98' model but should be the same for yours.
Read the "capacities" specs about 3/4 way down.

Old July 6th 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain Coleman

I forgot to mention that I feel the shudder through the steering wheel and
not really the rest of the truck. I also noticed right after I put the
truck in reverse before I started backing out of the garage. It lasted
maybe a second.

Old July 6th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
stevie

I've noticed this on my 2000 Limited, but I haven't considered it a big
problem.

should I pursue this as something that should be repaired-the vehicle is
still under extended warranty?

2000 Lim, 5.0 V8
75K miles

Old July 6th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

By all means... I do not consider this to be a "normal" condition and
similar vehices that I have driven do not exhibit this.

Two things to remember, extended warranties can be fickle... ensure that
these components are within the terms of your warranty. Also, it is a wise
idea to make sure that your dealer checks OASIS for any possible
guidance..... I do recall seeing TSBs for steering concerns such as this but
can't remember model reference.

Old July 7th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
gordo

"Captain Coleman" > wrote in message
>I forgot to mention that I feel the shudder through the steering wheel and
>not really the rest of the truck. I also noticed right after I put the
>truck in reverse before I started backing out of the garage. It lasted
>maybe a second.

Jim Warman's right.
It's air in your PS fluid.
When the car is on the lift and the mechanic swings the wheels left and
right from underneath with the engine off , air gets worked into the fluid.
Driving it will gradually work the air out.
Making lots of slow left and right turns may speed up the process.

Old July 7th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain Coleman

It did work itself out as today its gone as far as I can tell.
Thanks.
ink.net...

Old July 7th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
stevie

thanks jim.

this isn't a Ford warranty, but I've used it a couple of times and it came
thru OK.