I have a new Caravan transmission for under $100

Old July 24th 05, 09:15 PM
gary

I asked for the gasket too at the dealer assuming the gasket was standard in
the change and they said there is no gasket for that unit, just use sealant.

Gary

Old July 25th 05, 10:58 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> gary wrote:
>

> > ...BTW next edition of your
> > tips, you might mention to remember to replace the magnet after cleaning

the
> > pan, for the odd weekend mechanic like me. I lined up the pan after

putting
> > the sealant on and ran a couple of bolts into it when I had the sinking
> > thought that I didn't remember replacing the magnet........ added a

little
> > extra work.....sigh.

> And...next edition, he might mention the metal sandwich pan gasket you
> can get from the dealer - re-useable and none of the mess of the
> silicone sealer - would have been less traumatic when you had to take it
> off again for that magnet. Much easier in taking the pan off next time,
> and no clean up of sealing surfaces.

Heh - I'll write these suggestions up and mail them to Allpar, good
suggestions!

I think in a properly running a604/41te you really aren't going to see much
in the
way of metal particles on the magnet - mostly kind of a sludge of very fine
particles.
I think if you see large chunks or slivers the thing is toasted.

Ted

Old July 25th 05, 12:01 PM
Bob Shuman

There is a gasket, but dealers do not use them ... Next time ask them to
check again for the metal/silicone re-usable gasket. (They told me the same
thing...) I've posted the part numbers are in previous threads if you do a
Google search.

Bob

Old July 25th 05, 05:20 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, gary wrote:

> I asked for the gasket too at the dealer assuming the gasket was standard in
> the change and they said there is no gasket for that unit, just use sealant.

You need to use the CORRECT sealant, not just any RTV. There is a
particular RTV, available from the Mopar parts counter, that has chemistry
specifically compatible with ATF.

Old July 26th 05, 10:50 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
.umich.edu...
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, gary wrote:
>
> > I asked for the gasket too at the dealer assuming the gasket was

standard in
> > the change and they said there is no gasket for that unit, just use

sealant.

> You need to use the CORRECT sealant, not just any RTV. There is a
> particular RTV, available from the Mopar parts counter, that has chemistry
> specifically compatible with ATF.

What, you mean you can't use bathtub caulk? ;-)

The Mopar sealer is called "ATF-RTV" it's part is MS-GF41 aka 05010884aa

Look on the back in the fine print where the tube says "developed
specifically
to retain sealing when exposed to automatic transmission fluid"

By the way, Permatex Ultra Black and Ultra Blue both claim resistance to
ATF.

Ted

Old July 29th 05, 05:41 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article <9nEEe.25144$5V4.5789@pd7tw3no>, says...

www.allpar.com/eek/atf.html that says rough shifting can be caused by the
>wrong fluid and gives directions on how to clear that up. Basically I
>dropped the pan and changed the filter, cleaned it all up and replaced.
>Added 4 quarts of fluid and then took the lower tranny line off of the rad
>and pumped another 5 quarts out that way and replaced with new.
>
>Took it for a spin and it was like I was driving a brand new vehicle. I had
>gotten so used to the hard shifts and cringing when it came to a shift
>change that I forgot what it was like to drive a smooth vehicle. I took it
>out for several spins after and it was so smooth I could hardly tell where
>the shift change was.
>
>I'm writing this for anyone who has hard shifting and might want to know a
>cure. It was so simple. I feel like I am driving a new vehicle after a
>year and a half. If your vehicle calls for ATF4+ only use ATF4+ do not use
>a substitute and from what I gather do not use an additive that "converts"
>it to ATF4+.

I hope you send a bill to the repair shop for all the work you did.
----------------
Alex

Old July 30th 05, 11:29 PM
gary

Funny thing is I told him I know Chrysler trannys are sensitive to the type
of ATF they use, so when you top it up, could you write on the bill what
type of tranny fluid I should be using in it. (I did not know it was ATF4+
at the time). So when I got the bill - it said Type F (FLM) for Chrysler 4
speed trannys.

Should we be using a special coolant too in that engine (3.8L)?

Old July 31st 05, 12:04 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005, gary wrote:

> Should we be using a special coolant too in that engine (3.8L)?

Yes, your van (all '98-up Chrysler products, too) requires G-05 coolant.
Old July 31st 05, 02:01 AM
gary

Can this be bought aftermarket or only through a dealer?

n.umich.edu...

Old July 31st 05, 02:32 AM
Bill Putney

gary wrote:

> Can this be bought aftermarket or only through a dealer?
>
> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> n.umich.edu...
>
>>On Sat, 30 Jul 2005, gary wrote:
>>

>>>Should we be using a special coolant too in that engine (3.8L)?

>>Yes, your van (all '98-up Chrysler products, too) requires G-05 coolant.

Four sources that I know of (there may be more):

(1) Mopar brand from the DC dealer - their long-life stuff - it is
reddish-orange colored, but it is G-05 (not DexCool™, which you
definitely don't want)
(2) Ford Motorcraft brand at Ford dealers - bright yellow color
(3) Shell aftermarket - bright yellow color
(4) Zerex aftermarket - bright yellow color

It can be hard to find in the auto parts stores in the Shell and Zerex.
You might try places that service trucks (it is diesel approved) or
police cars. I don't hink it will be significantly cheaper at one place
or another - around $12-$13 everywhere I've seen it, including dealers.
If you've got a Ford dealer nearby, might as well get it there - I
like the bright yellow color - looks nice in a new pressure bottle.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')