Carb cleaners

Old August 13th 09, 02:57 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.tech
Henry[_7_]

Default Carb cleaners

Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:

> Because they're engaged in an evil conspiracy to get
> rich selling you more gasoline. Same reason they've
> suppressed the 500 mpg carburetor for all these decades.

Back in 1984, Hot Rod Magazine did an article on a
Pontiac Fiero that was powered by what Smokey Yunick
called a "hot air engine". Hot Rod said it might be the
most significant advancement in engine technology since
the Otto cycle engine. They added that this may seem like
an extraordinary statement, but the car they tested is
worthy of it.
Smokey's 4 cylinder Fiero engine made 250hp, got about
50mpg, put out much low emissions than the standard
engine, and ran very smoothly. Basically, the fuel was
vaporized using heat from the exhaust before being introduced
to the combustion chambers. Carburetors and modern fuel
injection puts liquid fuel into the combustion chambers,
which doesn't burn cleanly or completely.
Not saying there was a conspiracy to suppress his
invention, but given that the car was actually built,
and how impressed Hot Rod Magazine editors were, I do
wonder why the technology was never perfected and mass
produced. From what I've read, it was due to legal and
patent issues. Here's a link to the original article from
1984 along with a couple more.

http://tinyurl.com/m8w8f8

http://www.gassavers.org/archive/ind...ne/t-7868.html
http://digg.com/general_sciences/Smo...iabatic_engine

--

http://911research.wtc7.net

Old August 13th 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:57:32 -0400, Henry wrote:

> Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
>
>> Because they're engaged in an evil conspiracy to get
>> rich selling you more gasoline. Same reason they've
>> suppressed the 500 mpg carburetor for all these decades.

> Back in 1984, Hot Rod Magazine did an article on a
> Pontiac Fiero that was powered by what Smokey Yunick
> called a "hot air engine". Hot Rod said it might be the
> most significant advancement in engine technology since
> the Otto cycle engine. They added that this may seem like
> an extraordinary statement, but the car they tested is
> worthy of it.

And I remember one mail respondent's response to that article:

"Abadiated, my ass!"

The technology has actually been used in aircraft engines for years.

Old August 13th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.tech
CEG

On Aug 13, 9:57*am, Henry > wrote:
> Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
> > Because they're engaged in an evil conspiracy to get
> > rich selling you more gasoline. Same reason they've
> > suppressed the 500 mpg carburetor for all these decades.

> * Back in 1984, Hot Rod Magazine did an article on a
> Pontiac Fiero that was powered by what Smokey Yunick
> called a "hot air engine". Hot Rod said it might be the
> most significant advancement in engine technology since
> the Otto cycle engine. They added that this may seem like
> an extraordinary statement, but the car they tested is
> worthy of it.
> * Smokey's 4 cylinder Fiero engine made 250hp, got about
> 50mpg, put out much low emissions than the standard
> engine, and ran very smoothly. Basically, the fuel was
> vaporized using heat from the exhaust before being introduced
> to the combustion chambers. Carburetors and modern fuel
> injection puts liquid fuel into the combustion chambers,
> which doesn't burn cleanly or completely.
> * Not saying there was a conspiracy to suppress his
> invention, but given that the car was actually built,
> and how impressed Hot Rod Magazine editors were, I do
> wonder why the technology was never perfected and mass
> produced. From what I've read, it was due to legal and
> patent issues. Here's a link to the original article from
> 1984 along with a couple more.
>
> *http://tinyurl.com/m8w8f8
>
> http://www.gassavers.org/archive/ind...k-Hot-Vapor-Cy...
> *http://digg.com/general_sciences/Smo...iabatic_engine
>
> --
>
> *http://911research.wtc7.net

Is that why they were prone to fires?
Old August 13th 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer

Henry wrote:

> Smokey's 4 cylinder Fiero engine made 250hp, got about
> 50mpg, put out much low emissions than the standard
> engine, and ran very smoothly. Basically, the fuel was
> vaporized using heat from the exhaust before being introduced
> to the combustion chambers. Carburetors and modern fuel
> injection puts liquid fuel into the combustion chambers,
> which doesn't burn cleanly or completely.

Not true. Even carburetors did a good job of atomizing fuel except at
idle and during accelerator pump operation.

In a modern car engine during normal operation only about a percent or
less of fuel is unburned. The inefficiency comes from heat energy loss,
not raw unburned gasoline.

Smokey pushed a lot of stuff that was less than fully developed.
Old August 13th 09, 04:20 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.tech
Henry[_7_]

CEG wrote:
> On Aug 13, 9:57 am, Henry > wrote:

>> Back in 1984, Hot Rod Magazine did an article on a
>> Pontiac Fiero that was powered by what Smokey Yunick
>> called a "hot air engine". Hot Rod said it might be the
>> most significant advancement in engine technology since
>> the Otto cycle engine. They added that this may seem like
>> an extraordinary statement, but the car they tested is
>> worthy of it.
>> Smokey's 4 cylinder Fiero engine made 250hp, got about
>> 50mpg, put out much low emissions than the standard
>> engine, and ran very smoothly. Basically, the fuel was
>> vaporized using heat from the exhaust before being introduced
>> to the combustion chambers. Carburetors and modern fuel
>> injection puts liquid fuel into the combustion chambers,
>> which doesn't burn cleanly or completely.
>> Not saying there was a conspiracy to suppress his
>> invention, but given that the car was actually built,
>> and how impressed Hot Rod Magazine editors were, I do
>> wonder why the technology was never perfected and mass
>> produced. From what I've read, it was due to legal and
>> patent issues. Here's a link to the original article from
>> 1984 along with a couple more.

>> http://tinyurl.com/m8w8f8

>> http://www.gassavers.org/archive/ind...k-Hot-Vapor-Cy...
>> http://digg.com/general_sciences/Smo...iabatic_engine

> Is that why they were prone to fires?

Is *what* why they were prone to fires, and where did
you get your information? Links with references, please.

--

http://911research.wtc7.net
Old August 13th 09, 04:33 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.tech
hls

"Henry" > wrote in message
> CEG wrote:

>> Is that why they were prone to fires?

The early Fieros were prone to fires because they leaked oil like a
sieve. There was a factory recall that resealed the engine with blue
RTV.

There were lots of teething problems with them.

The Iron Duke blocks were really bad about cracking through the water
jacket just above the valve lifter floor.

Old August 13th 09, 04:44 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Henry wrote:
> Rob Kleinschmidt wrote:
>
>> Because they're engaged in an evil conspiracy to get
>> rich selling you more gasoline. Same reason they've
>> suppressed the 500 mpg carburetor for all these decades.

> Back in 1984, Hot Rod Magazine did an article on a
> Pontiac Fiero that was powered by what Smokey Yunick
> called a "hot air engine". Hot Rod said it might be the
> most significant advancement in engine technology since
> the Otto cycle engine. They added that this may seem like
> an extraordinary statement, but the car they tested is
> worthy of it.
> Smokey's 4 cylinder Fiero engine made 250hp, got about
> 50mpg, put out much low emissions than the standard
> engine, and ran very smoothly. Basically, the fuel was
> vaporized using heat from the exhaust before being introduced
> to the combustion chambers. Carburetors and modern fuel
> injection puts liquid fuel into the combustion chambers,
> which doesn't burn cleanly or completely.
> Not saying there was a conspiracy to suppress his
> invention, but given that the car was actually built,
> and how impressed Hot Rod Magazine editors were, I do
> wonder why the technology was never perfected and mass
> produced. From what I've read, it was due to legal and
> patent issues. Here's a link to the original article from
> 1984 along with a couple more.

The problem with the Smoksters engine was that it couldn't take the
heat. Fieros are notorious for engine fires to begin with as well.

Also in a modern fuel injected engine there is far less than 1% unburned
fuel. The injectors do a great job atomizing the fuel.

--
Steve W.
Old August 13th 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.tech
Schiffner

On Aug 13, 8:43*am, CEG > wrote:

> Is that why they were prone to fires?- Hide quoted text -

No, iirc once around the water cooler with the mechanics the opinion
was not enough sheilding on the header and the catlytic conveter in
conjust with oil leaks. I seem to recall one cure is to drup in a
complete 1st gen Caddilac northstar drive train.
Old August 13th 09, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

The very early ''carburetors'' used a wick, didn't they?
cuhulin

Old August 13th 09, 06:01 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.tech
little man upon the stair

On Aug 13, 6:57*am, Henry > wrote:

> * Back in 1984, Hot Rod Magazine did an article on a
> Pontiac Fiero that was powered by what Smokey Yunick
> called a "hot air engine".

Thanks for the links. I'd heard about Smokey's theory that engines
could run on smoke before, and I've actually worked on power
generation equipment that ran off of vapors caused by heating a solid
fuel until it started smoking so that it could be burnt.

But, looking at the diagrams of Smokey's Fiero engine, it looks like
he needed a bunch of ancillary equipment to do what is now done in
greater safety *inside* the combustion chamber of a modern 4-valve
engine with all the charge tumbling and swirling that goes on.

I don't follow automotive engines that closely any more, but if there
are direct fuel injected gasoline engines that aim the fuel right at
the top of the hot piston, I suppose you could get 50 mpg out of a 2.5
liter engine.