1999 Cirrus LXI 2.5 6cyl rough Idling, 184,000 km , the dealer cannot fix it!

Old July 9th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Expo

Default 1999 Cirrus LXI 2.5 6cyl rough Idling, 184,000 km , the dealer cannot fix it!

1999 Cirrus LXI 2.5 6cyl rough Idling, 184,000 km , the dealer cannot fix
it!

The car is in the dealer shop for over a week as I write this, the problem
was some what intermittent, now it has become consistent.

I had some prior work done days before this rough idle cam up, They
connected the scanner while I was there, when it was idling rough, the
scanner indicated nothing.

The initial work was to replace 2 leaking frost plugs, purge fuel system.
plugs wires, brakes, flush cooling system.

No service light or error codes are indicated, The car runs great on th
highway, drving, but if you stop for 10 seconds or so, the rough idling
begins.

They have tried apparently, EGR, Fuel filter (my request), Cataylic
converter (removed it ), disconnected A/C compressor, recheck hoses, recheck
their previous work

Help?

Russ

Old July 9th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Expo

Forgot this the transmission had a filter chang aswell on the intial job
Russ

Old July 15th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Gyzmologist

It could be a bad O2 sensor showing a rich condition, or a leaking fuel
injector. At an idle the exhaust shows rich causing the ECU/PCM to lean
out the mixture to compensate.

HTH
Gyz

--
Gyz

07 Saturn Sky
98 Dodge Status ES
94 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
Old July 17th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Expo

Car is still in the garage, they think it is the Distributor.... they
think...
Thanks,
Russ

Old July 25th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Expo

Default 1999 Cirrus LXI 2.5 6cyl rough Idling, 184,000 km , the dealer Did fix it!

The distributor was replaced, so far so good

Russ

Old July 25th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

Distributor? On a 1999? ... Me thinks not.

Bob

"Expo" > wrote in message
> The distributor was replaced, so far so good
>
> Russ
>
> "Expo" > wrote in message
>> Car is still in the garage, they think it is the Distributor.... they
>> think...
>> Thanks,
>> Russ
>>

>> "Gyzmologist" > wrote in message
>>> It could be a bad O2 sensor showing a rich condition, or a leaking fuel
>>> injector. At an idle the exhaust shows rich causing the ECU/PCM to lean
>>> out the mixture to compensate.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Gyz

>>> --
>>> Gyz
>>>
>>> 07 Saturn Sky
>>> 98 Dodge Status ES
>>> 94 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Old July 25th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Bob Shuman wrote:

> Distributor? On a 1999? ... Me thinks not.

99 Mitsubishi 2.5- could be. I've never worked on one, but I know that
the Mitsu****si 3.0 v6 kept a distributor years and years after the
Chrysler v6 engines all went to distributorless ignition.

Old July 25th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

Although just one data point, my 1991 3.0L V6 (Mitsubishi 3000GT) is
distributorless!

The last vehicle I owned that had a distributor was a 1980 GM 231 V6 Chevy
Monza. I've purchased 7 vehicles (that I can recall) since then, and none
of these have had a distributor, condensor, or points!

In my opinion elimination of a distributor and the move to electronic
ignition, coupled with the move to fuel injection resulted in huge
improvements in vehicle reliability and maintainability.

Bob

Old July 25th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Bob Shuman wrote:

> Although just one data point, my 1991 3.0L V6 (Mitsubishi 3000GT) is
> distributorless!

Same block, but VERY different engine managment system from the 3.0 as
used in Minivans through the mid 90s.

> The last vehicle I owned that had a distributor was a 1980 GM 231 V6 Chevy
> Monza. I've purchased 7 vehicles (that I can recall) since then, and none
> of these have had a distributor, condensor, or points!
>
> In my opinion elimination of a distributor and the move to electronic
> ignition, coupled with the move to fuel injection resulted in huge
> improvements in vehicle reliability and maintainability.

I agree on the electronics- the last car I had with points was a '69
model (and its been converted to electronic).

But a lot of 90s and 2000s vehicles still had distributors that were
PURELY distributors. No advance mechanism, no electronic trigger, just a
trigger wheel to tell the computer which cylinder is coming up next for
the sequential fuel injection. Electrically they're just a cap and rotor
to aim the fire at the correct cylinder. Those are a zero-maintenance
item. My father has a Dakota with a 5.2 Magnum, 15 years old and 220,000
miles and the distributor cap has never even been off of the distributor.

Old July 25th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Bob Shuman" > wrote in message
news
> Distributor? On a 1999? ... Me thinks not.
>
> Bob
>
> "Expo" > wrote in message
> > The distributor was replaced, so far so good
> >
> > Russ
> >
> > "Expo" > wrote in message
> >> Car is still in the garage, they think it is the Distributor.... they
> >> think...
> >> Thanks,
> >> Russ

fuel

lean

cannot

the

That application still uses a distributor

Glenn

1999 Cirrus LXI rough Idling, the dealer cannot fix it! Expo Chrysler 0 July 9th 07 03:13 PM
99 Cirrus: Rough idling Expo Chrysler 0 May 25th 07 01:14 PM
unstable idling and rough starts jprusso Audi 6 September 22nd 05 02:22 PM
4Runner 95 $WD 6cyl overheat when hot outside & stationary idling John Bartley 4x4 2 June 17th 05 03:57 PM
rough idling Marc Chumney Ford Explorer 5 November 7th 04 02:45 PM