Passat better value than Golf/Jetta?

Old November 2nd 04, 05:22 PM
mkl

Default Passat better value than Golf/Jetta?

Hello thereŠ

I was thinking about a "new" car and was wondering if I should
get a Passat over a GolfŠ?

I have done a quick survey on autotrader and automart and it
seems Passats might be a little less money but they are
probably less economical than a golf as they must be heavier?

Does anyone have an opinion on which over 5 years old Passat
would be good to look at?

I would like the '97 TDI but worry about it being discontinued
right after '97Š

any thoughts on Golf versus Passat regardless of the size/fuel
economy difference would be much appreciatedŠ

Michael
Old November 2nd 04, 05:24 PM
Mike Smith

mkl wrote:

> Hello thereŠ
>
> I was thinking about a "new" car and was wondering if I should
> get a Passat over a GolfŠ?
>
> I have done a quick survey on autotrader and automart and it
> seems Passats might be a little less money but they are
> probably less economical than a golf as they must be heavier?

I think you'll find that Passats are generally *more* expensive than
Golfs, not less. And yes, they will tend to have somewhat poorer fuel
economy. The Passat's a damn nice car, though.

--
Mike Smith
Old November 2nd 04, 08:13 PM

mkl wrote:

> Hello thereŠ
>
> I was thinking about a "new" car and was wondering if I should
> get a Passat over a GolfŠ?
>
> I have done a quick survey on autotrader and automart and it
> seems Passats might be a little less money but they are
> probably less economical than a golf as they must be heavier?
>
> Does anyone have an opinion on which over 5 years old Passat
> would be good to look at?
>
> I would like the '97 TDI but worry about it being discontinued
> right after '97Š
>
> any thoughts on Golf versus Passat regardless of the size/fuel
> economy difference would be much appreciatedŠ
>
> Michael

I now have a Jetta TDI wagon. Before that I had Passat 1.8T wagon.
There are obvious difference related to the engines, but other than
that:

1) The Passat (obviously) has more rear seat and cargo room.
2) The Passat (GLS) had a trip computer and outside temp readout while
the Jetta (GLS) does not.
3) The Passat rides a little softer.
4) The noise level at highway speed seems similar
5) The seats, leather in both cars, are similar, and are comfortable in
both cars.

From my experience with Passat and Jetta wagons (Golf would be similar
to Jetta), the main advantage of the Passat is the extra room and softer
ride. The advantage of the specific Jetta I have vs my Passat is that
the TDI gets much better fuel economy than the 1.8T.
Old November 2nd 04, 08:38 PM

I had a 1991 passat from 1995 to this summer. Real nice to drive on th
hwy, feels jeavy around town, milage just OK. Bad reputation but I had
no major stuff happen. Maintenance (tires, brakes and all repairs) were
very stable around 2200cdn$/year. Few repairs (nothing major), but
anything will be expensive (brakes, etc.). I got rid of it because a
gasket job was due for more than the car was worth.

If a jetta does it for you I expect you can maintain it for about 1/2 to
3/4 of the cost of maintaining a Passat. Either way you _need_ a good
mechanic you trust.

Regards,

Hans (now with a jetta)
Old November 3rd 04, 04:25 AM
Matt B.

"mkl" > wrote in message
> Hello thereS
>
> I was thinking about a "new" car and was wondering if I should
> get a Passat over a GolfS?
>
> I have done a quick survey on autotrader and automart and it
> seems Passats might be a little less money but they are
> probably less economical than a golf as they must be heavier?
>
> Does anyone have an opinion on which over 5 years old Passat
> would be good to look at?
>
> I would like the '97 TDI but worry about it being discontinued
> right after '97S
>
> any thoughts on Golf versus Passat regardless of the size/fuel
> economy difference would be much appreciatedS
>

> Michael

I think it all comes down to the rear seat room. Passats have lots more
legroom in back than a Golf/Jetta. In front IMHO they don't feel
substantially different. If rear seat room is important, get the Passat,
else get a Golf/Jetta.

Old November 4th 04, 11:40 AM
Jo Bo

I bought a 96 passat tdi wagon new and for over 100k miles averaged 45 mpg.
Unless your very lucky you'll not find a good passat tdi in the US. I now
own a 99.5 jetta tdi and it averaged 49+ mpg for over 100k miles. Both are
nice cars. Like others have said, the back seat is the difference. If
someone will be riding there reguarly get the Passat. Otherwise go on
condition and price.

JoBo