Tire change for 2000 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4cyl.

Old December 22nd 04, 01:41 AM
grandma

Default Tire change for 2000 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4cyl.

I would like to change from oem 195/65/15 to either

205/60/15
or
205/65/15

Consumer Reports and Tirerack recommend staying with 195/65/15 or going
with 205/60/15.

Honda,BFGoodrich,Michelin, and Bridgestone recommend 205/65/15 and
going from 6.0 to 6.5 rim(for optimal results though a Local Honda
Dealer said you can put 205/65/15 on a 6.0 rim with no problem).

Mainly the change is for more confidence around curves. Like to know if
anybody who had made change to wider tire, what has been their
experience with hydroplaning and snow traction.
Tires considering are Bridgestone G009 or BF Goodrich Traction TA both
H rated.

Thanks

Old December 22nd 04, 02:43 AM
SoCalMike

grandma wrote:
> Mainly the change is for more confidence around curves. Like to know if
> anybody who had made change to wider tire, what has been their
> experience with hydroplaning and snow traction.

i went from a 185/65 14" (OEM firestone FR680) on my 98 civic to a BFG
195/60. makes a big difference in traction, and gives a smoother ride.
course, the OEM tires sucked to begin with...
Old December 22nd 04, 03:01 AM
Imminent Vengeance

SoCalMike wrote:

> grandma wrote:
>> Mainly the change is for more confidence around curves. Like to know if
>> anybody who had made change to wider tire, what has been their
>> experience with hydroplaning and snow traction.

> i went from a 185/65 14" (OEM firestone FR680) on my 98 civic to a BFG
> 195/60. makes a big difference in traction, and gives a smoother ride.
> course, the OEM tires sucked to begin with...

If he's concerned with snow traction, it is not a good idea to upgrade to
a wider size, be it with all-seasons or winter tires.

Old December 22nd 04, 01:15 PM
grandma

Thanks,

I am aware of not upgrading knowing you need to cut through snow with a
skinnier tire.
I was still wondering if tradeoff(not being able to afford snow tires
and allseason nor having storage) if it is worth the trade off of 3
months Winter driving vs 9 months Spring and Summer driving. This is
why I wondering (specifically with an Accord though I appreciate the
Civic owner-I had a Mazda 323 and it helped immensely by putting on a
wider tire) if someone had actually experienced this so I know
specifically what the tradeoff was for them in all facets of driving
through the year.

Thank you all.