Has anyone had an Accord 4cyl 2005+ with a manual transmission?

Old November 13th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred

Default Has anyone had an Accord 4cyl 2005+ with a manual transmission?

Hello,

I was wondering how the transmission being a manual is like to drive? Is it
as smooth as they say? I mean as far as when you let out the clutch and what
about the shifting? Are the gates well defined or mushy?

I had a 1990 Miata 5 speed and the shifting actually made a click sound when
you shifted from one gear to another because the gates were so presise. I
also liked the way the Miata had really short throws, and I was wondering
how people like the shifting on the accord?

I imagine it will make the car perform better than an automatic. Gas mileage
is so close the reason is more for performance than fuel efficiency,
although the manual is about 800.00 less.

Al

Old November 13th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Kevin McMurtrie

In article <j4R5h.2674$bj1.29@trndny05>, "alfred" >
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering how the transmission being a manual is like to drive? Is it
> as smooth as they say? I mean as far as when you let out the clutch and what
> about the shifting? Are the gates well defined or mushy?
>
> I had a 1990 Miata 5 speed and the shifting actually made a click sound when
> you shifted from one gear to another because the gates were so presise. I
> also liked the way the Miata had really short throws, and I was wondering
> how people like the shifting on the accord?
>
> I imagine it will make the car perform better than an automatic. Gas mileage
> is so close the reason is more for performance than fuel efficiency,
> although the manual is about 800.00 less.
>
> Al

The manual transmission on my 97 Civic HX was as easy to shift as
flicking a light switch. The clutch engaged gradually so you could
shift smoothly even on bumpy roads.

The automatic transmission on my 2005 Accord Hybrid is pathetic. When
hitting the gas, the original software needed a laughable 2 seconds to
downshift from 5th to 3rd, during which time the car slowed down. A
software update decreases the time to 1 second, which I bet even Kia
would find too slow for use.

You better test drive the car for several miles.
Old November 13th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave L

"alfred" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering how the transmission being a manual is like to drive? Is
> it as smooth as they say? I mean as far as when you let out the clutch and
> what about the shifting? Are the gates well defined or mushy?
>
> I had a 1990 Miata 5 speed and the shifting actually made a click sound
> when you shifted from one gear to another because the gates were so
> presise. I also liked the way the Miata had really short throws, and I was
> wondering how people like the shifting on the accord?
>
> I imagine it will make the car perform better than an automatic. Gas
> mileage is so close the reason is more for performance than fuel
> efficiency, although the manual is about 800.00 less.
>
> Al

I have an '05 Accord LX manual tranny and love it. It won't be the same
feeling as the miata, but you're comparing a little roadster to a family
sedan. I've always loved the Honda/Acura manual because of the smooth
shifting. Had an '89 Prelude Si before the Accord, a '92 Sentra SE-R, '87
VW Fox and '86 Celica, all manual. I've never driven a Miata but have
driven an '86 RX-7 manual. The Mazda had more of a performance notchy
feeling while the Honda felt smoother, like butter. I also test drove the
Mazda 6 manual and preferred the Honda manual transmission.

The Accord won't have really short throws indicative of a sports car but I
think it's well defined and definately not mushy. You definately can't toss
the car around like a Miata but for a basic family sedan it's fun to drive
(don't care for the Michelin Energy MXV4 tires on it). The speed sensitive
steering is also a plus.

Take it for a test drive and see if it's something you like, and let us know
what you think.

-Dave

Old November 13th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 02:50:55 GMT, alfred > wrote:

>Hello,

>I was wondering how the transmission being a manual is like to drive? Is it
>as smooth as they say? I mean as far as when you let out the clutch and what
>about the shifting? Are the gates well defined or mushy?

Are you buying one mail order?
Why don't you see about test driving the car you're considering?
Old November 13th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"alfred" > wrote in news:j4R5h.2674$bj1.29@trndny05:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering how the transmission being a manual is like to drive?
> Is it as smooth as they say? I mean as far as when you let out the
> clutch and what about the shifting? Are the gates well defined or
> mushy?
>
> I had a 1990 Miata 5 speed and the shifting actually made a click
> sound when you shifted from one gear to another because the gates were
> so presise.

That's not why it made the "snick" noise.

Mazda deliberately designed-in the noise for the purposes of making the
Miata sound more sporty. Normally manufacturers try to *eliminate*
notchiness and noise.

> I also liked the way the Miata had really short throws,
> and I was wondering how people like the shifting on the accord?

If you're used to a good RWD car's shifter, any FWD car will be a
disappointment.

When I replaced my old RWD Corolla with a brand-new Integra many years
ago, I was shocked at the sloppiness and rubberiness of the shifter in
the Integra. Even after 190,000 miles, the Corolla's shifter felt
precise and well-guided compared to the Integra.

Having said all that, you do get used to it over time, so I don't think
it's a big deal. It's still good enough that you won't confuse 1st, 3rd
and 5th. It's not like, say, a 1981 Cavalier...

Go test drive the Accord to see for youself.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old November 13th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

TeGGeR® wrote:
> "alfred" > wrote in news:j4R5h.2674$bj1.29@trndny05:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was wondering how the transmission being a manual is like to drive?
>> Is it as smooth as they say? I mean as far as when you let out the
>> clutch and what about the shifting? Are the gates well defined or
>> mushy?
>>
>> I had a 1990 Miata 5 speed and the shifting actually made a click
>> sound when you shifted from one gear to another because the gates were
>> so presise.

> That's not why it made the "snick" noise.
>
> Mazda deliberately designed-in the noise for the purposes of making the
> Miata sound more sporty. Normally manufacturers try to *eliminate*
> notchiness and noise.
>

>> I also liked the way the Miata had really short throws,
>> and I was wondering how people like the shifting on the accord?

> If you're used to a good RWD car's shifter, any FWD car will be a
> disappointment.
>
> When I replaced my old RWD Corolla with a brand-new Integra many years
> ago, I was shocked at the sloppiness and rubberiness of the shifter in
> the Integra. Even after 190,000 miles, the Corolla's shifter felt
> precise and well-guided compared to the Integra.

that's because on rwd, you're operating the linkage directly. with fwd,
you're operating the shift via long control rods. [personally, i've
never found that to be a problem, even on utter slop boxes like french
renault 4's - and anyone ever seeing the amazing shifter arrangement on
that thing will know what i mean.] anyway, if the link rubbers are in
good condition, shifting is never a problem. it doesn't feel worse,
just different, because of the mechanics.

Old November 13th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> TeGGeR® wrote:

>> If you're used to a good RWD car's shifter, any FWD car will be a
>> disappointment.
>>
>> When I replaced my old RWD Corolla with a brand-new Integra many
>> years ago, I was shocked at the sloppiness and rubberiness of the
>> shifter in the Integra. Even after 190,000 miles, the Corolla's
>> shifter felt precise and well-guided compared to the Integra.

> that's because on rwd, you're operating the linkage directly. with
> fwd, you're operating the shift via long control rods.

Or cables. GM liked those for a while. Some of the worst FWD setups I've
ever driven have been early GM FWDs. Never driven a French car.

Some RWDs, especially older American ones, had linkages on the outside
of the gearbox. You had to adjust them just so or they might not even go
into gear. A bit of wear in the pivot points and they could get sloppy
as anything. And let's not even get into three-on-the-tree
arrangements...

The RWD Corolla mentioned above question had three short sliding rods
rigidly mounted inside the gearbox, on the very top of case. The lever
positively engaged these through a ball that rode in steel tracks. No
slop, no rubberiness, no lubrication or adjustment needed. Wonderful
setup.

> [personally,
> i've never found that to be a problem, even on utter slop boxes like
> french renault 4's - and anyone ever seeing the amazing shifter
> arrangement on that thing will know what i mean.] anyway, if the link
> rubbers are in good condition, shifting is never a problem. it
> doesn't feel worse, just different, because of the mechanics.

As I said, you do get used to it.

Old November 14th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
tww

"alfred" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering how the transmission being a manual is like to drive? Is

it
> as smooth as they say? I mean as far as when you let out the clutch and

what
> about the shifting? Are the gates well defined or mushy?
>
> I had a 1990 Miata 5 speed and the shifting actually made a click sound

when
> you shifted from one gear to another because the gates were so presise. I
> also liked the way the Miata had really short throws, and I was wondering
> how people like the shifting on the accord?
>
> I imagine it will make the car perform better than an automatic. Gas

mileage
> is so close the reason is more for performance than fuel efficiency,
> although the manual is about 800.00 less.
>
> Al

It will be tough to find one on a lot. You may have to special order it.

Old November 15th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
mopa

Hey Alfred,

Oh my gosh, these cars are sweet. Yes, buy a Accord, and get the 4 Cyl
i-vtec manual, your thank me. These cars are very fast, get better gas
mileage than the v6 for sure, and the repairs are much less on the
manual then they are on the autos.

Best car I ever bought, was my Accord!

Old November 15th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
mopa

Hey Alfred,

Oh my gosh, these cars are sweet. Yes, buy a Accord, and get the 4 Cyl
i-vtec manual, your thank me. These cars are very fast, get better gas
mileage than the v6 for sure, and the repairs are much less on the
manual then they are on the autos.

Best car I ever bought, was my Accord!

Johnny
---