93 Accord SE Thermostat

Old November 9th 06, 01:11 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Glenn[_4_]

Default 93 Accord SE Thermostat

Sorry for the double post but I just learned about cross posting in another
group. Hey, I'm learning here!

Thanks Dave and Tegger!

Does anyone know the correct temperature thermostat for this car? Just
bought it and it never got up to temp. Checked the thermostat and there
isnt one. Somebody took it out. The info I am seeing on the web is
confusing. There appears to be 3 different thermostats, 170deg, 180deg and
192deg. Which one is right? It is an F22A6 engine code.

I also just learned, I think, that thermostats are sometimes rated
differently. Some by opening temp and others by full open temp.

Now I'm COMPLETELY confused.

Glenn

Old November 9th 06, 03:07 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Michael Pardee

"Glenn" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Sorry for the double post but I just learned about cross posting in
> another group. Hey, I'm learning here!
>
> Thanks Dave and Tegger!
>
> Does anyone know the correct temperature thermostat for this car? Just
> bought it and it never got up to temp. Checked the thermostat and there
> isnt one. Somebody took it out. The info I am seeing on the web is
> confusing. There appears to be 3 different thermostats, 170deg, 180deg
> and
> 192deg. Which one is right? It is an F22A6 engine code.
>
> I also just learned, I think, that thermostats are sometimes rated
> differently. Some by opening temp and others by full open temp.
>
> Now I'm COMPLETELY confused.
>
> Glenn

In general, the hotter the better. Fuel efficiency and even engine cooling
benefit from a hotter thermostat.

The big limitation is usually whether the engine "pings" (detonates) under
load with the gas you use. For that reason the 192 might be a bit aggressive
and I'd go with the 180. 170s are mostly sold to people who are having
overheating problems and think (incorrectly) a cooler thermostat will help.

My experience with a thermostat that jammed suggests they probably open very
little in normal use. The car was a 1970 Volvo; I had to use the choke in
the winter even when it should have been warmed up. Turned out the
thermostat was jammed open about 1 mm and would not budge in boiling water.
(Say - did you know some wives get mad when you use their cooking pans to
test thermostats? Strange but true!)

Mike

Old November 9th 06, 04:36 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Glenn wrote:
> Sorry for the double post but I just learned about cross posting in another
> group. Hey, I'm learning here!
>
> Thanks Dave and Tegger!
>
> Does anyone know the correct temperature thermostat for this car? Just
> bought it and it never got up to temp. Checked the thermostat and there
> isnt one. Somebody took it out. The info I am seeing on the web is
> confusing. There appears to be 3 different thermostats, 170deg, 180deg and
> 192deg. Which one is right? It is an F22A6 engine code.
>
> I also just learned, I think, that thermostats are sometimes rated
> differently. Some by opening temp and others by full open temp.
>
> Now I'm COMPLETELY confused.
>
> Glenn

-----------------------------------

Bad news. Aside from running an engine without any oil in it, the next
worst thing you can do to a Honda is running it without a thermostat. If
you still have a chance to return it, you should.

'Curly'
Old November 9th 06, 05:17 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Glenn" > wrote in
nk.net:

> Sorry for the double post but I just learned about cross posting in
> another group. Hey, I'm learning here!
>
> Thanks Dave and Tegger!
>
> Does anyone know the correct temperature thermostat for this car?
> Just bought it and it never got up to temp. Checked the thermostat
> and there isnt one. Somebody took it out. The info I am seeing on
> the web is confusing. There appears to be 3 different thermostats,
> 170deg, 180deg and 192deg. Which one is right? It is an F22A6 engine
> code.
>
> I also just learned, I think, that thermostats are sometimes rated
> differently. Some by opening temp and others by full open temp.
>
> Now I'm COMPLETELY confused.

Your car takes a thermostat that *begins* to open at 170F (78C)
and is *fully* open at 190F (90C).

Such a thermostat will have "78º C" written on it.

Buy a dealer thermostat. For $30 it isn't worth the hassles of running
inot a poor-quality aftermarket unit.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old November 9th 06, 05:18 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Glenn" > wrote in
nk.net:

> Sorry for the double post but I just learned about cross posting in
> another group. Hey, I'm learning here!
>
> Thanks Dave and Tegger!
>
> Does anyone know the correct temperature thermostat for this car?
> Just bought it and it never got up to temp. Checked the thermostat
> and there isnt one. Somebody took it out.

Somebody took it out because he was having overheating problems! Put a
dealer 'stat back in and watch that gauge!

Luckily, most overheating problems are easily solved (and maybe expensive).

Old November 9th 06, 06:57 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Glenn[_4_]

Previous owner replaced head gasket a while back. Probably took out
thermostat in a vain attempt to fix the overheating problem.

Thanks for the help. BTW, the dealer t-stat was $16. Only a couple more
than the AutoZone one.