06 Corolla puzzling creaks at start-up

Old August 18th 11, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dan[_6_]

Default 06 Corolla puzzling creaks at start-up

I'm getting sometimes creaking noises coming from under the glove-box
area for about 10 seconds after start-up.
Car has digital climate control, so I suspect it's some actuator
involved in this creaking.
Other than the funny noise, the HVAC works OK.
Any ideas? Cause for concern that a part is soon going?
Old August 19th 11, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Dan > wrote in news:b91e3fd8-765a-4953-9a84-ef7644314d36
@o9g2000vbo.googlegroups.com:

> I'm getting sometimes creaking noises coming from under the glove-box
> area for about 10 seconds after start-up.
> Car has digital climate control, so I suspect it's some actuator
> involved in this creaking.
> Other than the funny noise, the HVAC works OK.
> Any ideas? Cause for concern that a part is soon going?

The only /known/ problem concerning a "creak" type noise in that general
location is covered by Toyota TSB-0141-10. It seems there are some poorly-
designed clips around the glass that can cause a similar noise.

Have your dealer call up that TSB and check out your car.

--
Tegger
Old September 27th 11, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dan[_6_]

This is not a constant creak like one from a glass gasket.
It definitely sounds like some sort of actuator, and it occurs *only*
for a few seconds and only after engine has been started. And
sometimes there's no creak at all.
I tried to activate the different HVAC functions and for some I hear a
slight actuator type sound, but none of the buttons cause the creaking
to occur.
Is it possible there's a valve that controls coolant flow at the
heater core and it opens/closes at engine start?
Old September 30th 11, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Sep 27, 2:18*pm, Dan > wrote:
> This is not a constant creak like one from a glass gasket.
> It definitely sounds like some sort of actuator, and it occurs *only*
> for a few seconds and only after engine has been started. And
> sometimes there's no creak at all.
> I tried to activate the different HVAC functions and for some I hear a
> slight actuator type sound, but none of the buttons cause the creaking
> to occur.
> Is it possible there's a valve that controls coolant flow at the
> heater core and it opens/closes at engine start?

My guess is that it is something vacuum-controlled, likely a door/
flapper controlling airflow, but the last is just a WAG. That would
explain the noise occurring only on startup - it's only when the car
has been sitting for a period of time that vacuum bleeds out of the
system to the point where all the doors etc. return to their "rest"
positions.

Does it not make the noise if you just run into the store for 5
minutes and then immediately restart the car?

nate