Accelerator Cable Disaster

Old November 26th 04, 05:13 PM
Hartmann

Default Accelerator Cable Disaster

on the way home my acceleratpor cable snapped. or i think it did. also there
is a snapped spring onthe left hand side of the clutch pedal.

i know its a huge job, but i must get this thing replaced before the end of
the weekend. so what must i do to replace the accelerator cable?

I'm unsure what the spring on the left does. i can't see a reason why it
should exist, and i presume it needs to be replaced also. i need to know how
to do this as well.

all assistence is welcomed.
Dieter

Old November 26th 04, 06:49 PM
jjs

"Hartmann" > wrote in message
> on the way home my acceleratpor cable snapped.

Piece of cake. Mine broke the other day and it took only a few minutes to
replace.

If there is any of the cable showing by the pedal, put a vice-grip on it.
Detach cable from the carb linkage and try to pull it through and out the
back. If it does come out, then pull the rest out through the front with the
vice-grip. (See, it's a bit nasty sometimes to pull a broken part into the
tube.)

Install new one from the pedal side. Grease it lightly. Push it through.
Fasten to pedal (The cable probably has a 'jog' at the end that just slips
into the pedal hole.) Crawl under so you can see where it's coming out of
the body and guide it up into the tube that runs through the fan shroud.
Pull from the back and fasten to the carb linkage.

That 'extra spring' you see by the pedal is normal. It's more obvious when
the pedal flops backwards because the cable is not holding it up.

Old November 28th 04, 05:55 AM
Sleepy Joe

"Hartmann" > wrote in message >...
> on the way home my acceleratpor cable snapped. or i think it did. also there
> is a snapped spring onthe left hand side of the clutch pedal.
>
> i know its a huge job, but i must get this thing replaced before the end of
> the weekend. so what must i do to replace the accelerator cable?
>
> I'm unsure what the spring on the left does. i can't see a reason why it
> should exist, and i presume it needs to be replaced also. i need to know how
> to do this as well.
>
> all assistence is welcomed.
> Dieter

After you fix it quick, get a super 'bulletproof' cable from aircooled.net.
Old November 29th 04, 05:14 PM
Seth Graham

On 2004-11-26, jjs > wrote:
> "Hartmann" > wrote in message
>> on the way home my acceleratpor cable snapped.

> Install new one from the pedal side. Grease it lightly. Push it through.

Lost mine recently too, this was by far the most annoying part
because the metal piece that the cable exits from by the carb
popped out of the tube that goes between the tunnel and the
firewall, couldn't for the life of me reassmeble it with all four
tires on the ground.

Needed to adjust the brakes anyways so I pulled out the jacks and
made an evening out of it. :P

Mine was easy to field repair because it snapped at the metal piece
that hooks into the pedal, pulled out some bailing wire and a butt
connector, was on the road again in under 5 minutes.

Woulda been a great workout if it snapped in the middle, considering
it's uphill the whole way home.