CHP Speeder Crackdown

Old June 16th 05, 04:03 PM
Furious George

Default CHP Speeder Crackdown

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> As reported today by the KTLA Morning News, there was a 24-hour
> crackdown on speeders yesterday by the CHP, apparently part of a
> multi-state crackdown along the entire length of I-5 from Washington
> to the Mexican border. During the crackdown, the usual 10 MPH
> tolerance was whittled down to 5 or 6 MPH.
>
> All in the name of "speed kills."
>
> --
> Life is short - drive fast!
> http://www.geocities.com/scottenaztlan/

It's about damn-time. They should confiscate the speed-killer's cars.

Old June 16th 05, 04:29 PM
Arif Khokar

Furious George wrote:

> It's about damn-time. They should confiscate the speed-killer's cars.

I've always wondered why some people are obsessed with doling out
greater penalties for speeding. It's clear to me that they're envious
that the majority of us are more than capable of driving above the speed
limit every single day and don't experience problems. It's also obvious
that they're irritated by the fact that we get away with it as well.

Given those facts, it's really pointless to complain about speeders
because there's nothing you can do about them. Politicians aren't
interested in lowering speed limits and many are considering raising
them in the near future.

In the end, we speeders win, and those who complain can only resort to
posting opinions on newsgroups that are either ignored or derided.
Old June 16th 05, 08:40 PM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> As reported today by the KTLA Morning News, there was a 24-hour
> crackdown on speeders yesterday by the CHP, apparently part of a
> multi-state crackdown along the entire length of I-5 from Washington
> to the Mexican border. During the crackdown, the usual 10 MPH
> tolerance was whittled down to 5 or 6 MPH.
>
> All in the name of "speed kills."

Fine with me... but is it really that hard to do the speed limit when
conditions allow for it?

I mean, ignoring all the standard excuses and the usual mantra, just
maintain precise control of the throttle and let off a bit if necessary.
Even easier, if the vehicle has it, use the cruise control.

Old June 16th 05, 09:06 PM
N8N

Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
> "Scott en Aztl=E1n" > wrote in message
> > As reported today by the KTLA Morning News, there was a 24-hour
> > crackdown on speeders yesterday by the CHP, apparently part of a
> > multi-state crackdown along the entire length of I-5 from Washington
> > to the Mexican border. During the crackdown, the usual 10 MPH
> > tolerance was whittled down to 5 or 6 MPH.
> >
> > All in the name of "speed kills."
> >

> Fine with me... but is it really that hard to do the speed limit when
> conditions allow for it?

Fair enough, but the only time conditions allow for it is generally
during rush hour. Otherwise doing the speed limit means sticking in
the right lane and still being tailgated by little old ladies in
Buicks.

> I mean, ignoring all the standard excuses and the usual mantra, just
> maintain precise control of the throttle and let off a bit if necessary.
> Even easier, if the vehicle has it, use the cruise control.

See above.

nate

Old June 16th 05, 09:45 PM
C. E. White

"Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
> Furious George wrote:

> I've always wondered why some people are obsessed with doling out greater
> penalties for speeding. It's clear to me that they're envious that the
> majority of us are more than capable of driving above the speed limit
> every single day and don't experience problems. It's also obvious that
> they're irritated by the fact that we get away with it as well.

Maybe they are irritated becasue they feel reckless speeding endangers their
lives. Or maybe it is the rude and arrogant behavior exhibited by many
"speeders." Often the speeders are the same people who tailgate, jump lanes
at intersections, cut people off at ramps, weave throught traffic, etc.
Persaonlly I've never worried about speeders on the open road. If someone
wants to go faster than me, I sincerely want them to get on up the road so
they'll be out of my way. I don't care if they get away with it or not. I
drive my speed (usually 5 mph aboive the posted limit) and don't want the
rigid limit enforced on me. However, if speed limits were actually enforced,
I'd be OK obeying them. As it is in most jurisdictions, the posted limit is
little more than a suggested speed. I do think it is wrong for the police to
decide to spring rigid enforcement of the speed limit on an unsuspecting
public. I prefer consistency.

> Given those facts, it's really pointless to complain about speeders
> because there's nothing you can do about them. Politicians aren't
> interested in lowering speed limits and many are considering raising them
> in the near future.

Don't count on it. Politicians can and do change their minds. I like having
the higher speed limits. I am worried that the nanny elements in our society
will manage to use some excuse (death rate, fuel usuage, etc.) to reimpose
draconian speed limits. Reckless speeders ( I am talking about people who
are driving 15 or 20 over the posted limit) are furthering the casue of
these nannies. I'd rather have uniformily enforced relatively high speed
limits than often ignored, randomly enforced, low speed limits.

> In the end, we speeders win, and those who complain can only resort to
> posting opinions on newsgroups that are either ignored or derided.

Sort of like the people who whine about left lane blockers and others who
may (or may not) be violating the inconsistent tangle of KRETP Laws. Only
difference I see is that most of the people who are offended by speeders
don't harass the speeders on the road (except by driving around in a legal
manner). The militants who want strict enforcement of KRETP Rules seem to be
quite willing to harass people that they perceive to be violating these
rules (harassment includes tailgating, flashing headlights, brigths at
night, rude gestures, etc.). In fact that they often harass people who are
not actually violating the actual rules.

I find it inconsistent that people are upset when one set of laws is
enforced while simultaneously complaining that another set of laws is not
enforced. Particularly when the other set of rules may not even exist, or
not exist as they wish they existed.

Regards,

Ed White

Old June 16th 05, 10:15 PM
Arif Khokar

C. E. White wrote:
> Reckless speeders ( I am talking about people who
> are driving 15 or 20 over the posted limit)

The problem with that particular cutoff is that, in many cases, that's
the actual speed of traffic where speed limits still reflect NMSL era
values (55 mph). For instance, when driving on I-279 in PA, most people
including myself were going 70 to 75 mph despite the fact that the
posted limit was 55 mph.

Where the limit is 70 mph, not many drivers go 85 mph or above.
Old June 16th 05, 10:17 PM
Nate Nagel

C. E. White wrote:

> Sort of like the people who whine about left lane blockers and others who
> may (or may not) be violating the inconsistent tangle of KRETP Laws. Only
> difference I see is that most of the people who are offended by speeders
> don't harass the speeders on the road (except by driving around in a legal
> manner).

Bull****! The SLOWEST drivers are IME the rudest, or most clueless
depending on your interpretation of their actions. Quite often the
people just driving along at, say, 10 over are likely to be the ones
watching their mirrors, signaling their lane changes, leaving
appropriate "cushions" etc.

When I see a driver traveling significantly below the speed that
everyone else is traveling, big warning flags pop up in my head.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old June 17th 05, 06:31 AM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> As reported today by the KTLA Morning News, there was a 24-hour
> crackdown on speeders yesterday by the CHP, apparently part of a
> multi-state crackdown along the entire length of I-5 from Washington
> to the Mexican border. During the crackdown, the usual 10 MPH
> tolerance was whittled down to 5 or 6 MPH.
>
> All in the name of "speed kills."

The speeding problem would vanish overnight if the speed criminals knew
they'd lose their license or spend a couple weeks in jail. As long as
this deadly crime is punished by fines it will continue - perhaps the
loonies who say it's all about revenue are right.

Old June 21st 05, 03:44 PM
dr.benway

Take an enema. it would improve your disposition1

Old June 21st 05, 03:47 PM
dr.benway

Heres the interesting thing. while there were a few extra cruisers on
the I5, there were swarms of them on surface streets in towns adjacent
to the I5. The local yokels are cashing in.