Range Rover question

Old March 5th 05, 05:47 AM
MercedesGal

Default Range Rover question

The Check Engine light just came on on my 1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE. I took
it to the mechanic who hooked it up to the diagnostics machine. The
readout said that the sensors for 3 items relating to emmissions controls
needs to be replaced. He reset the check engine light. Today the light
came back on. I took it to another mechanic who said that only one of the
valve canisters needs to be replaced, rather than 3 the other mechanic told
me. He also said that the check engine light may mean that my gas cap is
loose. He wants to charge me $90 for a diagnosis.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, how did you resolve it. The
check engine light is very unnerving to me.

Old March 5th 05, 11:53 AM
HarryS

First, a code reader does not diagnose your vehicle it reads a fault code
(check engine light) generated by your vehicle. A fault code provides the
mechanic with a starting point and then they have to use a diognistic manual
to trouble shoot the fault code it could be as simple as a loose wire. Any
who if you knew what the codes were you could get an idea of what is
generating it.

It is very un likely that it is your canister system, 99% of the time it is
your gas cap o-ring that has failed and just simply replace the gas cap.
The gas is the largest cause of a check engine light. The link will take
you to page that discusses codes and you can even put in your code and it
will tell you waht it means providing a starting point. Any mechanic that
just replaces items by set fault codes is not a good mechanic and does not
have basic the knowlegde of diognostics.

Get a new gas cap, it is cheaper than $90.00 and it is more likely the
problem.

http://www.iequus.com/obd_def.asp

HarryS

lkaboutautos.com...

Old March 5th 05, 12:01 PM
HarryS

One thing I forgot your local Auto Zone will read your codes for free.

HarryS

Old March 5th 05, 08:22 PM
MercedesGal

Harry,

Thanks so much for your reply. You don't know how much of a load you have
taken off my mind. I did take the car to another mechanic who said that it
might be the gas cap as well. I am going to investigate that first.

I called the first mechanic back, and he said that it will possible cost
about $900.00 to replace those valves. I just bought the car from a
private party, and had it only less than 24 hours when the check engine
light came on. He did say that nothing will happen if I don't get these
items fixed, but I just can't stand that annoying check engine light
staring me in the face. It is a constant source of stress that something
serious might be wrong with the car.

Old March 6th 05, 01:51 PM
Erik-Jan Geniets

MercedesGal wrote:

> The Check Engine light just came on on my 1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE. I took
> it to the mechanic who hooked it up to the diagnostics machine. The
> readout said that the sensors for 3 items relating to emmissions controls
> needs to be replaced. He reset the check engine light. Today the light
> came back on. I took it to another mechanic who said that only one of the
> valve canisters needs to be replaced, rather than 3 the other mechanic told
> me. He also said that the check engine light may mean that my gas cap is
> loose. He wants to charge me $90 for a diagnosis.
>
> Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, how did you resolve it. The
> check engine light is very unnerving to me.

For Range Rover specific questions you might also try newsgroup
alt.fan.landrover
There is a lot of knowledge there.
Kind regards,
Erik-Jan.

range rover question Sparky Dodge 0 March 5th 05 02:00 AM
Converting a V8 Range rover to diesel minimodz 4x4 3 September 2nd 04 10:16 PM
'94 Range Rover 4.0SE Suspension Interchange w/ '93 Michelle 4x4 1 August 23rd 04 04:45 PM