honda historians required!

Old September 10th 05, 08:36 PM
Milleron

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:26:58 -0400, "TWW" > wrote:

>"jim beam" > wrote in message
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda#Company_history
>>
>> the civic wan't the first honda automobile sold in the u.s. can someone
>> please fix this wikipedia page?
>>

>I recall seeing a small two cylinder coupe around 1970 or so. At the time I
>had a Honda 750 4 cylinder bike -- so I remember doing a double take. The
>car I recollect was something you would not take seriously, especially
>considering Honda's forte in motorcycles. When I was in Tokyo, Japan from
>67-69 Honda produced a very small chain drive sports car -- the S600 and
>then S800. They had (I recollect) a liquid cooled dohc 4 cylinder that
>revved very high. It was not all that competitive in autocrosses; at the
>time I was autocrossing a Sunbeam Tiger (modified).

I remember that little gizmo, also. It was remarkable for the very
small wheels, probably no more than ten inches if the image in my
mind's eye is correct. I saw the thing right as I was getting out of
grad school, so around 1971.

Ron
Old September 11th 05, 01:30 AM
Jason

In article >,
wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:26:58 -0400, "TWW" > wrote:
>

> >"jim beam" > wrote in message

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda#Company_history

> >> the civic wan't the first honda automobile sold in the u.s. can someone
> >> please fix this wikipedia page?
> >>

> >I recall seeing a small two cylinder coupe around 1970 or so. At the time I
> >had a Honda 750 4 cylinder bike -- so I remember doing a double take. The
> >car I recollect was something you would not take seriously, especially
> >considering Honda's forte in motorcycles. When I was in Tokyo, Japan from
> >67-69 Honda produced a very small chain drive sports car -- the S600 and
> >then S800. They had (I recollect) a liquid cooled dohc 4 cylinder that
> >revved very high. It was not all that competitive in autocrosses; at the
> >time I was autocrossing a Sunbeam Tiger (modified).

> I remember that little gizmo, also. It was remarkable for the very
> small wheels, probably no more than ten inches if the image in my
> mind's eye is correct. I saw the thing right as I was getting out of
> grad school, so around 1971.
>

> Ron

This info. for the original poster:
If possible, try to buy a copy of this book which provides some excellent
information related to Honda cars that were made in the 1970's. There is
an excellent picture of the Z600 on page 16.
"Honda and Acura Performance Handbook" by Mike Ancas
Barnes and Noble might have it for sale or you may be able to find in on eBay.
Jason

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.