Dumb Q: DRL's

Old July 29th 05, 01:48 AM

Default Dumb Q: DRL's

Are some late '90's DRL's controllable as to whether they come on or
not, by the ECM (apart from the DRL module)?

Reason for dumb Q:

My Tracker ('96) has had its DRL's out since I got it used, which is
fine with me, and I never see others on the road with DRL's on, even
though it's originally so equipped & an integral part of the lighting
ckt. In doing an under-dash job & moving a lot of stuff around for
access (batt disconnected), upon repowering I suddenly had DRL's.
Then, after poring thru the manual electricals & retrying an hour later
without driving nor disturbing the vehicle, they are off again by
themselves (which is fine with me again too). It *appears* that they
may be some programmable function(?).

Been wondering how everyone else got their DRL's disconnected or off.
The DRL module has to be connected & working for the rest of the
headlamp functions to work, there is no separate DRL fuse, and the DRL
resistor is 'way under a wheelwell where no one likely fools with it
(interference/access). Did dealers disable the DRL's (in areas like
mine where they are not required) somehow via the ECM? Or did everyone
else's DRL's just poop the bed (seems unlikely)?

Since I seldom see DRL's burning on other similar year vehicles too, I
thought it might be a general Q.

Much thx re answer to this curiousity.

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Disable DRL'S on 2002 S-10 Pete Technology 41 May 24th 05 04:19 AM
Disable DRL'S on 2002 S-10 Daniel J. Stern Driving 3 May 24th 05 04:19 AM
Why no rear lights with DRLs? Don Stauffer Technology 26 April 26th 05 04:16 AM
Dumb Cunt Falls out the Car Window N E One Driving 9 April 19th 05 12:17 AM