cj5 shackle question

Old May 18th 05, 08:09 AM
marvin martian

Default cj5 shackle question

ok here goes some friends of mine have a 75 cj5frame with a 46 cj2a body
on it. 36 inch tires. 4 inch lift procomp springs. how long should
shackles be bolt to bolt before it is unsafe? right now i believe
theyre somewhere in the 9 to 9 1/2 inch range to alot for body and tire
clearance/fit.

Old May 18th 05, 01:25 PM
SoK66

"marvin martian" > wrote in message
> ok here goes some friends of mine have a 75 cj5frame with a 46 cj2a body
> on it. 36 inch tires. 4 inch lift procomp springs. how long should
> shackles be bolt to bolt before it is unsafe? right now i believe
> theyre somewhere in the 9 to 9 1/2 inch range to alot for body and tire
> clearance/fit.>

Roughly 4" is the length of a stock CJ shackle. I'd never recommend running
a shackle more than 1" longer than that. 9"+ sounds like a nightmare waiting
to happen.

Old May 18th 05, 01:29 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Nine inches you got to be kidding, you could go into the spring
de-arcing business. Have a picture so I may replace theses ruined
springs example: http://www.billhughes.com/93-YJ-2.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old May 18th 05, 01:36 PM
Mike Romain

3" is the proper length for a CJ's steering alignment.

You should check with procomp to see what shackles their springs are
designed for. Too short will cause springs to bind and be hard, too
long will allow the springs to over flex and go flat or invert.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 18th 05, 04:58 PM
Jeff Strickland

You can't be serious. You have passed the max safe shackle length a long
time ago.

Old May 18th 05, 11:39 PM
bingobongo

I have shackles that look about the same....I have LOTS of arch in my
springs

Old May 19th 05, 12:57 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Lets see the picture troll.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 19th 05, 04:20 PM
bingobongo

I will shortly, those springs in the pic you have are DEAD. If someone puts
a shackle lift on DEAD springs it will probably so not nice things.

Old May 19th 05, 05:41 PM
bingobongo

Pictu
http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/reader-.../jays_jeep.jpg

As you can see they are not flat. They look ALMOST the same as before, maybe
..25 inch difference. I've experienced no driving issues, it's fine. And
those springs weren't even brand new.

Old May 19th 05, 06:18 PM
Mike Romain

How much did you have to shim it and what brand of spring did you use?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's