Fading Clutch?

Old December 4th 04, 04:01 PM
Peter Murphy

Default Fading Clutch?

My '91 Miata now has 226k kilometres on the clock and recently I've noticed
that when I hit the gas peddle in fourth or fifth gear the engine responds
fine but the car doesn't accelerate accordingly. Does this mean that the
clutch is worn and should be replaced? Is there any other way of checking to
determine whether it's time for a new clutch?
Peter Murphy,
Brampton, Ontario.

Old December 4th 04, 04:33 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2004-12-04, Peter Murphy > wrote:

> My '91 Miata now has 226k kilometres on the clock and recently
> I've noticed that when I hit the gas peddle in fourth or fifth
> gear the engine responds fine but the car doesn't accelerate
> accordingly. Does this mean that the clutch is worn and should
> be replaced?

Yes.

> Is there any other way of checking to determine whether it's
> time for a new clutch?

It's time to have the clutch rebuilt.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I just had a MAJOR
at CONTRACT DISPUTE with
Old December 4th 04, 08:51 PM
Simply Pete

I think you did pretty good to get it this far... the way I drive my '94 (
spirited ), I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't last that long, but then
again it's only at 108k km now.
My son's '93 MX6 with the V6 is starting to behave as your Miata does...
he's got over 335k km on it, so he's just driving it real careful so it'll
get him thru the winter. He's not interested in investing any more money in
it.
To my knowledge, there is nothing to have a quick look at to verify a worn
clutch... the symptoms of slipping ( ie. rev's going up without a
corresponding increase in speed ) when nailing the gas in higher gears, are
the only sign I'm familiar with.

best of luck,

Pete Breemhaar
Georgetown, Ontario

"Peter Murphy" > wrote in message
> My '91 Miata now has 226k kilometres on the clock and recently I've

noticed
> that when I hit the gas peddle in fourth or fifth gear the engine responds
> fine but the car doesn't accelerate accordingly. Does this mean that the
> clutch is worn and should be replaced? Is there any other way of checking

> determine whether it's time for a new clutch?
> Peter Murphy,
> Brampton, Ontario.

Need good clutch for '94 4Runner V6 Matt Lang 4x4 4 January 13th 05 11:40 PM
Wacky Clutch Peter Pontbriand Jeep 14 December 19th 04 11:42 AM
Clutch pedal effort on 96 Civic Udayan Bhapkar Honda 1 October 11th 04 02:24 PM
Sticky clutch pedal (A4) Robert Kidd VW water cooled 2 October 1st 04 01:07 AM
Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM