How long will my battery last?

Old December 2nd 04, 12:21 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Chief_Wiggum" > wrote:

>"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
.. .
>> No big deal to it:
>>
>> 1) Stop car as far as possible behind car in front in case they
>> back up a little while driving away. The car behind you cannot
>> hurt you.
>>
>> 2) Always turn steer straight when parking on a hill, to avoid
>> long periods of sideways stress on critical steering components.
>>
>> 3) Do not use the manual brake since brakes may be very hot driving
>> hilly area, potentially causing the manual brake to stick.
>>
>> 4) Put gear shift in 5th to have the highest drag on the engine.
>>
>> 5) Lock the doors so that kids cannot get in and knock it out of
>> gear.
>>
>> 6) After the car has stood for an elongated period parked on a hill,
>> grasp the side and shake it back and forward as hard as you can.
>> This stirs the oil, which has collected in a corner of the
>> crank case, reducing start-up wear.
>>
>> It is surprising how many people here in Florida do not know how
>> to park on a hill.
>>
>> Leon

>I can't tell if this is supposed to be a joke, or if the poster is serious
>????

Just seeing whether anybody is awake in this group. Some
people have the nastiest temper when they wake up.

Leon

>the ONLY piece of parking advice that makes any sense is 5! Everything else
>is not only stupid, but in many areas will earn you a PARKING TICKET!!!
>
>DO NOT FOLLOW THIS ADVICE!!! you could kill someone (or worse ) wreck your
>Miata!!!!

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old December 2nd 04, 06:27 PM
Rick Mons

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 00:21:18 GMT,
(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:

>>> 1) Stop car as far as possible behind car in front in case they
>>> back up a little while driving away. The car behind you cannot
>>> hurt you.
>>>
>>> 2) Always turn steer straight when parking on a hill, to avoid
>>> long periods of sideways stress on critical steering components.
>>>
>>> 3) Do not use the manual brake since brakes may be very hot driving
>>> hilly area, potentially causing the manual brake to stick.
>>>
>>> 4) Put gear shift in 5th to have the highest drag on the engine.
>>>
>>> 5) Lock the doors so that kids cannot get in and knock it out of
>>> gear.
>>>
>>> 6) After the car has stood for an elongated period parked on a hill,
>>> grasp the side and shake it back and forward as hard as you can.
>>> This stirs the oil, which has collected in a corner of the
>>> crank case, reducing start-up wear.
>>>
>>> It is surprising how many people here in Florida do not know how
>>> to park on a hill.
>>>
>>> Leon

>>I can't tell if this is supposed to be a joke, or if the poster is serious
>>????

>Just seeing whether anybody is awake in this group. Some
>people have the nastiest temper when they wake up.
>
>Leon

Reminds me of a thread on a VW forum where one poster had suggested
using sandpaper to remove a decal on the body. It was one of those
oft-repeated queries from a new member of the forum and the responder
made the comment trying to reinforce using the FAQ section.

Unfortunately, the reader (a newbie) didn't understand it was
sarcastic. He went ahead with the suggested "cure" and was really
ticked off. Some of us thought it was a joke-within-a-joke but the
reader even posted photos to show the damage.

Sarcasm just doesn't come across well in this medium.

Old December 3rd 04, 12:30 AM
Chief_Wiggum

You know, the thing that chaps my arse about people posting "READ THE FAQ"
or similar, is it takes just as much effort to just answer the question, as
it does to post a sarcastic comment.

If you don't want to answer a ??? because it's been answered 1,000 times,
THEN DON'T! just move on

We're all in this together, and, no matter what field you are a "know it
all" in, there's always another that you are not!

Old December 3rd 04, 01:47 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2004-12-03, Chief_Wiggum > wrote:

> You know, the thing that chaps my arse about people posting
> "READ THE FAQ" or similar, is it takes just as much effort to
> just answer the question, as it does to post a sarcastic
> comment.

And it would have been so much simpler had those professors
just put the answers _on_ the exams for us.

Give a man a fish...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I need "RONDO".
at
Old December 5th 04, 07:39 PM
David-n-Hope 4ever

I just sold my '90 Miata 2 weeks ago, that I bought 4yrs ago from the
original owner. Last winter I "thought" the battery was on it's way out
because it was starting to turn over pretty slowly on cold mornings. I
called the guy up I bought it from (he's a buddy of mine) and he was
certain he'd never replaced the battery! Well I took the cover off it &
guess what..sure enough it was an original Mazda battery. What's even
More amazing is the only thing wrong with it was corroded battery
terminal ends. I scraped off all the green fuzzy stuff..cleaned the
posts & she cranks like new! I guess even tho having the battery in the
trunk does take up a chunk of the trunk space, evidently keeping it out
of the weather makes them last forever. My advice is keep it clean & it
SHOULD last years & years & years &.....mine's going on 155,000 miles &
14 years

How long Do AutoZone Batteries last? [email protected] VW air cooled 5 November 22nd 04 09:25 PM
Battery replacement comments and questions Tom's VR6 VW water cooled 1 November 12th 04 06:12 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 10:54 PM
Alfa Romeo 156 alarm won't turn off problem Alfie Norks Alfa Romeo 14 October 23rd 04 04:33 AM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM