'85 Accord, Hatchback

Old March 10th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default '85 Accord, Hatchback

Need guidance please - My grandaughter is trying to keep her 1985 Accord
going. this week it died on her -she and her friend replaced the battery...
today she called and it had died on her between Dayton and cincinnati.. said
the battery light came on 'weaklt' and it stuttered and died (her
description)... they are towing it to her Mom's house so I plan to check it
out.. said there was no 'noise' at all when she tried a restart. I am
thinking it may be the ignition switch... maybe the belt is loose on the
alternator.
Any other known issues (other than old age) which should be checked out..
any advice appreciated. thanks... Ralph G.

--

The novelist George Eliot once said that "it is never too late to become
what you might have been."

Old March 10th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Check the alternator brushes. My site linked below has a
discussion of this, based on input here as well as a bit of
my own hands-on with my 91 Civic.

http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id13.html

"NewsGroup" > wrote

Old March 22nd 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

NewsGroup wrote:
> Need guidance please - My grandaughter is trying to keep her 1985 Accord
> going. this week it died on her -she and her friend replaced the battery...
> today she called and it had died on her between Dayton and cincinnati.. said
> the battery light came on 'weaklt' and it stuttered and died (her
> description)... they are towing it to her Mom's house so I plan to check it
> out.. said there was no 'noise' at all when she tried a restart. I am
> thinking it may be the ignition switch... maybe the belt is loose on the
> alternator.
> Any other known issues (other than old age) which should be checked out..
> any advice appreciated. thanks... Ralph G.

Sounds like a charging issue to me. First troubleshooting step is to
try a jumpstart - if that works, the ignition is good. If so, once it's
running, disonnect the battery - if it dies, then the alternator is not
working, which could be a loose belt, or that the alt itself is toast.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0612-0, 03/20/2006
Tested on: 3/22/2006 9:11:23 AM