'86 honda civic's steering wheel seems to be getting stiff.

Old October 4th 05, 07:23 AM
wannadoitmyself

Default '86 honda civic's steering wheel seems to be getting stiff.

My old backup car, an '86 civic is getting harder to turn the steering
wheel. When I turn either to the left or right, after comencing to go on a
straight road, the steering wheel seems to keep being turned to either
direction. I adjust it hard enough, but if for instance I had turned
right, then when I adjusted it to the left it may want to stay to the
left. The car's response when "avoiding potholes" is not as quick. Unless
I turn it hard but I know this is not normal. Can anyone please give me
some advice on what the problem may be? Thank you.

Old October 4th 05, 01:37 PM
jim beam

wannadoitmyself wrote:
> My old backup car, an '86 civic is getting harder to turn the steering
> wheel. When I turn either to the left or right, after comencing to go on a
> straight road, the steering wheel seems to keep being turned to either
> direction. I adjust it hard enough, but if for instance I had turned
> right, then when I adjusted it to the left it may want to stay to the
> left. The car's response when "avoiding potholes" is not as quick. Unless
> I turn it hard but I know this is not normal. Can anyone please give me
> some advice on what the problem may be? Thank you.

ball joint seizing up.

Old October 4th 05, 06:42 PM
TeGGeR®

jim beam > wrote in
:

> wannadoitmyself wrote:
>> My old backup car, an '86 civic is getting harder to turn the
>> steering wheel. When I turn either to the left or right, after
>> comencing to go on a straight road, the steering wheel seems to keep
>> being turned to either direction. I adjust it hard enough, but if for
>> instance I had turned right, then when I adjusted it to the left it
>> may want to stay to the left. The car's response when "avoiding
>> potholes" is not as quick. Unless I turn it hard but I know this is
>> not normal. Can anyone please give me some advice on what the problem
>> may be? Thank you.
>>

> ball joint seizing up.

And we know what a barrel o' fun that is...
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...int/index.html

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old October 5th 05, 02:27 PM
wannadoitmyself

Thanks all of you once again for your advice. It was very accurate. I found
this out just yesterday, as I went to school and when I got to the parking
lot, as I was turning right to get in the parking spot the wheel came off!
because the ball joint popped out. I am glad it didn't happen down on the
highway at 70 mph.!!! Thanks for your advice. Lesson learned.