Perennial Shifter Bushing Problem

Old March 10th 05, 05:51 PM
Randall Brink

Default Perennial Shifter Bushing Problem

Has anyone ever tried coating the Type 1 shifter rod with some sort of
rubberized coating where it runs through the bracket, to prevent the
repeated problem with the bushing?

--
Randall Brink
Author

1970 VW Type 1
1973 Mercedes-Benz W115 240D

Old March 11th 05, 03:30 AM
Jack Woltz

I have not tried it myself, but some large diameter heat-shrink tubing
might help.

=================================

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Old March 11th 05, 12:50 PM
bill may

Heim Joint would work better. Rubber? may as well use jb weld.

Old March 12th 05, 12:38 AM
Randall Brink

Heim Joint. I'm not familiar with that. What is it exactly?

--
Randall Brink
Author

1970 VW Type 1
1973 Mercedes-Benz W115 240D
ups.com...

Old March 12th 05, 03:41 PM
Wolfgang

Is your shift rod well covered with grease? If its rusty suspect it would
eat at the bushing real fast. Repeated? - They seem to last 10 years or
so.

news

Old March 13th 05, 05:13 PM
MUADIB®

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:20:56 -0800, "Randall Brink"
> wrote:

>No, the rod has been thoroughly polished. The bushing falls out, possibly
>due to using the wrong kind of grease.

Randall, The hole the bushing sits in, or the bushing, is not the
right size (possibly bushing is too damaged), The bushing will *not*
fall out if it is all correct size.(also correct materials)

I watched the original thread about the bushing issue, even made an
entry...............I am not at all sure of your repair. You said you
use both the bushing, and the bracket replacement if I recall
correctly. Is it possible that I misunderstood?

Anyway, the bushing should fit well, and like it's barbed into the
bracket. Once the bushing is in the bracket, the shift rod is supposed
to "fill" the center up to a size that makes the bushing tight enough
to both the inner and outer contact, to make it impossible to "fall
out"

It's possible that the bushing is one of the cheap "rubbery" feeling
bushings..............they don't have a good reputation. When it is
new, the bushing you install should be fairly hard and "slick" on the
surface, and should be very rigid along the length of it. The
flexibilty should be in the diameter/circumference, to allow for the
"shrink" to install it without damage.Generally the ones I have
installed have an opening that is not straight front to rear, but
angled through the length of the bushing. Kind of angularly.

I know, by reading your posts that you are not an idiot, so please do
not take my explanation and offering as an indication I think you
are. Seems to me you have a good grip on mechanical operation and
assembly. There are however many nuances to the construction,
engineering, and assembly of these ACVW's..............I, like
everyone else, am here to offer my help (as little as it may seem
helpful)

On the CIP1 Site (page below) the "hanger part " is what I thought
would fix the original concern, along with a new bushing.

Part # VWC-111-0701-255-B

Part # VWC-111-0701-259-A (new bushing)

The Bushing they (CIP1) seem to be out of at the moment...........I am
not sure whether the one they sell is the slick one or the rubbery one
however. Shoot 'em an email and see if you can get clarification.

Good luck once again.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Old March 13th 05, 07:23 PM
Randall Brink

Thank you. I think you have identified the root of the problem--a bad,
"rubbery" feeling bushing. I am going to order some new ones in hopes of
finding a stiffer material. Then and only then will I dismantle the shifter
mechanism again.

Old March 18th 05, 01:19 PM
Juper Wort

"MUADIB®" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:20:56 -0800, "Randall Brink"
> > wrote:
>>

> On the CIP1 Site (page below) the "hanger part " is what I thought
> would fix the original concern, along with a new bushing.
>
> Part # VWC-111-0701-255-B
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=470907974 4
>
> Part # VWC-111-0701-259-A (new bushing)

Please may I ask as to what that link has to do with shifter bushings ??
Interesting item anyhow.....

James