The 6-cyl Mustang is a dog

Old July 5th 05, 05:04 AM
RichA

Default The 6-cyl Mustang is a dog

Terrible performance for a six in this day
and age. Ford has clearly decided to not take
the Japanese route and provide real power
(I don't even believe the current rating for the
6 at all) only to the V8.
-Rich
Old July 5th 05, 05:25 AM

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 00:04:45 -0400, RichA > wrote:

>Terrible performance for a six in this day
>and age. Ford has clearly decided to not take
>the Japanese route and provide real power
>(I don't even believe the current rating for the
>6 at all) only to the V8.
>-Rich

ford is not smart enough to compete with the asian market

i like it

Old July 5th 05, 12:21 PM
Ritz

RichA wrote:
> Terrible performance for a six in this day
> and age. Ford has clearly decided to not take
> the Japanese route and provide real power
> (I don't even believe the current rating for the
> 6 at all) only to the V8.

For a recent vintage Mustang, Vortech makes a supercharger kit that adds
about 80-90HP and about 60 ft/lbs of torque. So that's a bit more power
than the stock 260hp 4.6L V8 (until they upped the V8 to 300hp
recently). If you're stuck with a V6, that might be an alternative for you.

My advice, if you're into making a fast car, is to start out with the
4.6 (or the 5.0 if you're into fox body Mustangs). It's a lot
cheaper/easier to make those engines perform than it is to squeeze extra
ponies out of the 3.8.

Cheers,

Old July 6th 05, 01:39 AM

RichA wrote:
> Terrible performance for a six in this day
> and age. Ford has clearly decided to not take
> the Japanese route and provide real power
> (I don't even believe the current rating for the
> 6 at all) only to the V8.

Rich,

The 6 delivers performance comparable to early the 5-ohs cars of 20
years ago, and the early 4.6 cars. Low 90 mph trap speeds for a base
model that retail for under $20Gs is pretty damn good.

If you're not satisfied with that answer, then realize the sales of all
those less horsepowered, lower cost, 6-cylinders are helping finance
the V8s we all want to own.

Patrick
'93 Cobra
'03 Focus ZX3

Old July 6th 05, 02:04 PM

RichA wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2005 17:39:30 -0700, wrote:

> >RichA wrote:
> >> Terrible performance for a six in this day
> >> and age. Ford has clearly decided to not take
> >> the Japanese route and provide real power
> >> (I don't even believe the current rating for the
> >> 6 at all) only to the V8.

> >The 6 delivers performance comparable to early the 5-ohs cars of 20
> >years ago, and the early 4.6 cars. Low 90 mph trap speeds for a base
> >model that retail for under $20Gs is pretty damn good.

> >If you're not satisfied with that answer, then realize the sales of all
> >those less horsepowered, lower cost, 6-cylinders are helping finance
> >the V8s we all want to own.

> The V6 in Canada is $23k
> The V8 in Canada is $36k.

> It's not subsidizing anything.

A higher horsepower base model would likely cost additional dollars and
lower fuel economy numbers -- two things that may cause some entry
level buyers to look elsewhere. Fewer overall sales means, higher
prices for the rest.

> Lets be realistic here; The Ford Mustang uses old, long paid-for technology.

You mean the 4.6 that continues to get refined/improved? The one and
only component I can think of is the solid axle.

> It's practically the only car you can "update" from time to time with minimal > cost, especially the engines. Cubic inches and not technology drives it's
> power, so the idea that there is some cost involved such as would be the cost
> to develop a 3L Acura V6 putting out 270hp is a bit silly.

How much horsepower do you feel the base model needs? It already has
210... so what, 260-280...? And then the GT will need... 325-350?

Patrick
'93 Cobra
'03 Focus ZX3

Old July 6th 05, 07:46 PM
RichA

wrote:

>> >The 6 delivers performance comparable to early the 5-ohs cars of 20
>> >years ago, and the early 4.6 cars. Low 90 mph trap speeds for a base
>> >model that retail for under $20Gs is pretty damn good.

>> >If you're not satisfied with that answer, then realize the sales of all
>> >those less horsepowered, lower cost, 6-cylinders are helping finance
>> >the V8s we all want to own.

>> The V6 in Canada is $23k
>> The V8 in Canada is $36k.

>> It's not subsidizing anything.

>A higher horsepower base model would likely cost additional dollars and
>lower fuel economy numbers -- two things that may cause some entry
>level buyers to look elsewhere. Fewer overall sales means, higher
>prices for the rest.
>
>> Lets be realistic here; The Ford Mustang uses old, long paid-for technology.

>You mean the 4.6 that continues to get refined/improved? The one and
>only component I can think of is the solid axle.
>
>> It's practically the only car you can "update" from time to time with minimal > cost, especially the engines. Cubic inches and not technology drives it's
>> power, so the idea that there is some cost involved such as would be the cost
>> to develop a 3L Acura V6 putting out 270hp is a bit silly.

>How much horsepower do you feel the base model needs? It already has
>210... so what, 260-280...? And then the GT will need... 325-350?
>
>Patrick
>'93 Cobra
>'03 Focus ZX3

How come when the Mustang v8 sported about 210hp (1986?) it ran a
second faster 0-60 than the "210" hp v6 does now? That 210 (I'd say)
is highly optimistic.
I should point out something anyway; I'm not advocating the v6 get
more power, I only pointed out that it lacks power, nothing more.
In fact, it's insurance cost is only 2/3 or less that of the GT thanks
to it's price and lack of power so maybe the market sector serviced by
it would be hurt if it sported more h.p?
-Rich