740 E38 - Tick from under bonnet / whine from tranny or torque converter..

Old July 24th 05, 04:34 PM
Paul Aspinall

Default 740 E38 - Tick from under bonnet / whine from tranny or torque converter..

Hi all,

I have a 2000 740i, which has covered 95,000. It had a new tranny installed
2,500 miles ago, and has full service history, and still under BMW warranty.

I have only just bought the car, but have owned 2 740's before, and a 745Li.

With the window down in the drivers seat, I can hear a feint 'tick' from
under the bonnet. It seems to be linked to the engine speed.
Is this normal??

Also, there seems to be a drone / whine which appears to come from the auto
box, or the torque converter. This seems particularly loud to me when on
overrun (ie. costing in from a high speed, with the engine essentially
idling, or engine braking).
I have never been aware of this on my previous 740s but it may have been
there.... ??? I never noticed it on my 745 either.

I may be being too sensitive, as the BMW warranty is about to expire, and I
don't want any large bills, if I can avoid them. In my experience the
dealers aren't much good at detecting things that are problematic, they can
only tell you things once they have fully failed.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Old July 24th 05, 07:17 PM
R. Mark Clayton

"Paul Aspinall" > wrote in message
o.uk...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a 2000 740i, which has covered 95,000. It had a new tranny
> installed 2,500 miles ago, and has full service history, and still under
> BMW warranty.
>
> I have only just bought the car, but have owned 2 740's before, and a
> 745Li.
>
> With the window down in the drivers seat, I can hear a feint 'tick' from
> under the bonnet. It seems to be linked to the engine speed.
> Is this normal??

Hydraulic tappets, especially if started after a few days not run.

> Also, there seems to be a drone / whine which appears to come from the
> auto box, or the torque converter. This seems particularly loud to me when
> on overrun (ie. costing in from a high speed, with the engine essentially
> idling, or engine braking).

Are you sure its the box - could be the diff.

> I have never been aware of this on my previous 740s but it may have been
> there.... ??? I never noticed it on my 745 either.
>
> I may be being too sensitive, as the BMW warranty is about to expire, and
> I don't want any large bills, if I can avoid them. In my experience the
> dealers aren't much good at detecting things that are problematic, they
> can only tell you things once they have fully failed.

AND your warranty has run out.

96 Integra A/C whine Kevin Honda 2 July 15th 05 03:15 PM
Regulator Whine Andrew J. Staves VW air cooled 1 July 14th 05 03:39 AM
Mercedes e class bonnet stuck [email protected] Technology 0 April 7th 05 07:01 PM
2003 explorer eddie bauer axle whine Ken Ford Explorer 2 January 19th 05 02:52 AM
Access denied! (Bloody bonnet release) Hughes. Alfa Romeo 5 August 12th 04 09:37 PM