GMS & Saturns DRLs

Old July 19th 05, 04:56 PM
Roy

I guess I responded to your post in with my response to C. E. White. To
further add to that, at least if they have DRLs other people can see them
from the front and avoid a head on collision. If you come up behind them and
they have no rear markers then you should at least be able to see the
reflection/refraction from the tailights. I realise it isn't as bright as
when the lights are on but it should be enough to prevent you from hitting
the other car unless you are travelling a lot faster than the other car.
Apparently around here we have a law that states your right tires can't be
more than 18 inches from the right side curb when parked on a two way
street. An officer informed me of this and he said the reason was that the
tailights act as reflectors even when the lights aren't on.
"Bob Shuman" > wrote in message
> The biggest safety issue I've seen with DRLs is that some vehicle drivers
> don't realize they don't have their headlights on at dusk since they have
> the DRLs and think they have the lights on, but do not. I've even seen

some
> idiots driving in full darkness with only DRLs and no side markers or tail
> lights. You would think they would figure it out since they have no dash
> lights, but that does not appear to be the case.
>
> I personally prefer to make the decision on whether to use the headlights

or
> not myself and not take the decision away from the driver. I also think

the

Old July 19th 05, 06:05 PM
C. E. White

"Roy" <crawroy @ nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message

> As far as I know this isn't a US only group. Here in Canada where the sun
> spends a lot of the winter at a low angle I see a big advantage to DRLs.

In an earlier post I thought I made it clear I was only grumbling about US
requirements. I have no problem with the people in Canada doing something
different. Just becasue something works in a far northernly climate doesn't
mean it is appropriate for everyone in the world. The US NHTSA conducted a
semi-reasonable study of DRLs and found no statistically valid safety
advantaege for DRLs in the US (and in fact some types of accidents increased
for cars with DRLs). The IIHS website does reference a Candian Study of
DRLs, but I can't find a copy on line (Arora, H.; Collard, D.; Robbins, G.;
Welbourne, E.R.; and White, J.G. 1994. Effectiveness of daytime running
lights in Canada. Report no. TP-12298. Ottawa, Ontario: Transport Canada).
The IIHS claimed this study showed an 11 percent reduction in some sorts of
accidents. However, there was no mention of the effect on the overall
accident rate (i.e., if other sorts of accidents increased). The NHTSA
Report (available at
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...4/809760.pdfda ) make
interesting reading. You might also wat to read an earlier NHTSA report
which conflicts somewhat with this report (available at
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...0/DRL7_RPT.pdf ). In
the US depending on how you spin the data you can show a significant
reduction in accidents, no net reduction, or an increase in certain type of
accidents. Results from other studies are also referenced. Best I can tell,
the people conductiong these studies (for the most part) were out to prove
DRLs were effective and analysed the data in the most favorable light. Not
good science.

- This site (a pro-DRL site) summarizes some studies (with a positive
spin) - http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/DRLs/studies.htm
- Good pro-DRL Europena site (results probably apply to Canada, but not
necessarily the US) -
http://www.swov.nl/en/swovschrift/09...ing_lights.htm
They estimate a cost benefit ratio for DRLs, but since it is based on
northernly countries, it is possible (even likely) the cost benefit ration
for the US would not be attractive (less than 1).
- This site has a summary of pro and con arguements (well some of them) -
http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/DRLs/argumnts.htm
- Rabid anti-DRL Site - http://www.lightsout.org/
- Another anti-DRL Site -
http://www.motorists.com/issues/drl/saturnboycott.html
another anti-DRL Site - http://www.nordicgroup.us/drl/
- An Autoweek Fourm on DRLs -
http://forums.autoweek.com/thread.js...13387&tstart=0
- Other references: http://www.drivers.com/article/000000322 ;
http://www1.tpgi.com.au/users/mpaine/drl.html

I don't have any compalints about Canada requiring DRLs. I think they are
not as effective in the US, particualrly in the Southern US, and I don't
want the US government making them a requirement.

Ed

Old July 19th 05, 08:46 PM
Bob Shuman

I was not making a statement FOR or AGAINST the use of one's head lamps to
alert other driver's of their presence. I think there are valid reasons for
using the lights during appropriate situations. I was stating the simple
fact that DRLs consume fuel and can remove the need to think (this can be a
dangerous thing). In my opinion this should be left to the driver to decide
and that is just one more reason I do not generally purchase GM products.
(My son's Saturn is why I am in this newsgroup, and it has provided
wonderful service and has been an excellent vehicle - I am not bashing GM or
Saturn so please no flames!)

Old July 19th 05, 08:47 PM
Bob Shuman

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Disable DRL'S on 2002 S-10 Daniel J. Stern Driving 3 May 24th 05 04:19 AM
Why no rear lights with DRLs? Don Stauffer Technology 26 April 26th 05 04:16 AM
Chevy Tahoe DRls? BE Driving 0 March 28th 05 03:45 PM
"Saturn's VUE new, improved" Mike Saturn 2 May 28th 04 12:34 AM