Does sun bake rubber trim?

Old May 5th 05, 10:56 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Default Does sun bake rubber trim?

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Leon wrote:

> My friend got a job in Florida (West Palm Beach) and is afraid to take
> his new 530 BMW with him because "it's too hot down there". He is afraid
> that the sun will bake out the plasticizers from the rubber trim that is
> designed for colder German weather. What do you suggest?

I suggest your friend get over his prissy widdle self. If he's losing so
much sleep over the inevitable eventual deterioration of his pwecious BMW
(by rust in the North, by UV in the South), then he should sell the car
and obtain whatever his ignorant little brain considers better suited to
the sunny climate in Florida.
Old May 6th 05, 12:04 AM
Leon

On Thu, 5 May 2005 17:56:07 -0400, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>On Thu, 5 May 2005, Leon wrote:
>
>> My friend got a job in Florida (West Palm Beach) and is afraid to take
>> his new 530 BMW with him because "it's too hot down there". He is afraid
>> that the sun will bake out the plasticizers from the rubber trim that is
>> designed for colder German weather. What do you suggest?

>I suggest your friend get over his prissy widdle self. If he's losing so
>much sleep over the inevitable eventual deterioration of his pwecious BMW
>(by rust in the North, by UV in the South), then he should sell the car
>and obtain whatever his ignorant little brain considers better suited to
>the sunny climate in Florida.

OK, I'll let him know that he should have been richer. Right now he
can afford to buy the car but he cannot afford to ruin it and get
nothing for it in 4 or 5 years.
--
Leon
Old May 6th 05, 12:18 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Leon wrote:

> >> My friend got a job in Florida (West Palm Beach) and is afraid to
> >> take his new 530 BMW with him because "it's too hot down there". He
> >> is afraid that the sun will bake out the plasticizers from the rubber
> >> trim that is designed for colder German weather. What do you suggest?

> >I suggest your friend get over his prissy widdle self. If he's losing
> >so much sleep over the inevitable eventual deterioration of his
> >pwecious BMW (by rust in the North, by UV in the South), then he should
> >sell the car and obtain whatever his ignorant little brain considers
> >better suited to the sunny climate in Florida.

> OK, I'll let him know that he should have been richer.

Looks as if you have a reading comprehension problem.

> Right now he can afford to buy the car but he cannot afford to ruin it
> and get nothing for it in 4 or 5 years.

Is he -- and are you -- *SERIOUSLY* as stupid, ignorant and fearful of
ghosts as you're making yourself look?

Old May 6th 05, 12:25 AM
L Sternn

On Fri, 06 May 2005 02:04:48 +0300, Leon >
wrote:

>On Thu, 5 May 2005 17:56:07 -0400, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 5 May 2005, Leon wrote:
>>
>>> My friend got a job in Florida (West Palm Beach) and is afraid to take
>>> his new 530 BMW with him because "it's too hot down there". He is afraid
>>> that the sun will bake out the plasticizers from the rubber trim that is
>>> designed for colder German weather. What do you suggest?

>>I suggest your friend get over his prissy widdle self. If he's losing so
>>much sleep over the inevitable eventual deterioration of his pwecious BMW
>>(by rust in the North, by UV in the South), then he should sell the car
>>and obtain whatever his ignorant little brain considers better suited to
>>the sunny climate in Florida.

>OK, I'll let him know that he should have been richer. Right now he
>can afford to buy the car but he cannot afford to ruin it and get
>nothing for it in 4 or 5 years.

If he's moving to Florida, he doesn't have to worry about the sun
baking anything. The humidity helps to counteract that.

Now if he were in Arizona, I'd recommend getting sealcoat put on
everything, including his face.
Old May 6th 05, 02:27 AM
Steve B.

wrote:

>OK, I'll let him know that he should have been richer. Right now he
>can afford to buy the car but he cannot afford to ruin it and get
>nothing for it in 4 or 5 years.

In five years you still have a five year old car whether it is driven
and enjoyed or put away and held on to. If he thinks the trim stuff
is going to make a huge difference in sales price then buy new trim
and put it on in five years. I realise it is a nice car but its
nothing really that special that would make it a collectors item in
five years. It will be just another old used car.

Steve B.
Old May 6th 05, 03:58 AM
mjt

("Daniel J. Stern" >) scribbled:

> I suggest your friend get over his prissy widdle self. If he's losing so
> much sleep over the inevitable eventual deterioration of his pwecious BMW
> (by rust in the North, by UV in the South), then he should sell the car
> and obtain whatever his ignorant little brain considers better suited to
> the sunny climate in Florida.

.... well put

--
<< http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com (Metallica - Enter Sandman) >>
Whether you can hear it or not
Old May 6th 05, 04:01 AM
mjt

(Leon >) scribbled:

> >the sunny climate in Florida.

> OK, I'll let him know that he should have been richer. Right now he
> can afford to buy the car but he cannot afford to ruin it and get
> nothing for it in 4 or 5 years.

.... jimminy christmas. tell him to get away from
the manicure table and think clearly. get a friggin
house with a garage and when he has to park somewhere
else, find a parking garage or carry a car cover.

--
<< http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com (Metallica - Enter Sandman) >>
Deliberation, n.: The act of examining one's bread to
Old May 6th 05, 01:37 PM
C. E. White

Leon wrote:

> OK, I'll let him know that he should have been richer. Right now he
> can afford to buy the car but he cannot afford to ruin it and get
> nothing for it in 4 or 5 years.

In 5 years it will be a 5 year old BMW. Lots of BMWs are
sold in Florida and then traded in 5 years. I doubt that
they are anymore worthless in Florida than in more
northernly climates. Also, the Germans are not stupid. I am
pretty sure they understand that their cars are sold in
climates that actually have more intense sunlight than
Germany and have adjusted the composition of the materials
to compenstate.

Ed
Old May 6th 05, 05:12 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Leon wrote:

> Right now he
> can afford to buy the car but he cannot afford to ruin it and get
> nothing for it in 4 or 5 years.

Then I presume he won't be driving it. Your friend is an idiot that
makes me ashamed to own the same marque ('88 535is). Please tell him
to sell his car immediately because it *will* definitely be ruined.
Even if it isn't, a 530i is definitely nothing special. Probably has a
damned slushbox in it and everything. It'll be worth squat in 5 years
even if he hermetically seals it under inert gases in dark storage.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old May 6th 05, 08:38 PM
Leon

On 6 May 2005 09:12:46 -0700, "Motorhead Lawyer" >
wrote:

>Leon wrote:
>
>> Right now he
>> can afford to buy the car but he cannot afford to ruin it and get
>> nothing for it in 4 or 5 years.

>Then I presume he won't be driving it. Your friend is an idiot that
>makes me ashamed to own the same marque ('88 535is). Please tell him
>to sell his car immediately because it *will* definitely be ruined.
>Even if it isn't, a 530i is definitely nothing special. Probably has a
>damned slushbox in it and everything. It'll be worth squat in 5 years
>even if he hermetically seals it under inert gases in dark storage.

His 5 is manual and a good car for trips. Traded in a 3-year old 325
(manual) that was sport. His 3 was driven hard daily but ran and
looked (detailed every year) as good as day one. Lucky guy whoever
has it.
--
Leon