Clutch life prediction?

Old December 13th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Anthony Giorgianni[_1_]

Default Clutch life prediction?

For those of you who have or had a manual Explorer, what kind of like did
you get out of the clutch. Per my other recent posts here, I've just brought
my XLT tot he dealer for a clutch pedal problem. And the dealer is
suggesting that now - 85,000 miles - is a reasonable time to do the clutch
anyway. I was hoping it would go lots further than 85,000. I'm very gentle
with the clutch. And idea what I should expect for clutch life?

Thanks

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

Old December 13th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Craig

"Anthony Giorgianni" wrote...

> For those of you who have or had a manual Explorer, what kind of like did
> you get out of the clutch. Per my other recent posts here, I've just
> brought
> my XLT tot he dealer for a clutch pedal problem. And the dealer is
> suggesting that now - 85,000 miles - is a reasonable time to do the clutch
> anyway. I was hoping it would go lots further than 85,000. I'm very gentle
> with the clutch. And idea what I should expect for clutch life?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Regards,
> Anthony Giorgianni

I have a '96 XLT, V6, 4dr, 4wd, standard rear axle, no towing
done--currently at 124k miles with no indication that the clutch needs
replacing. Then again, even with my bad forest roads, highway driving,
running around town, etc., I must be a gentle driver as I get better gas
mileage than most and still have half of my original brake pads!

Craig in Flagstaff

Old December 13th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Anthony Giorgianni[_1_]

Thanks Craig!

I think I'm in the same position as you (except for maybe a failing slave
cylinder). I'm at 85,000 and hardly any wear on the front disk pads - though
the rears are a bit worn, which sounds strange to me.

By the way, when you downshift, do you rev the engine a bit before
reengaging the clutch so that the clutch doesn't have to bring the engine
speed up to match the lower gear? I do this, but I'm wondering if it's a bad
idea. It seems like it makes the clutch's work easier. If I don't, the truck
will slow down rapidly as the clutch forces the engine speed up. If I bring
up the engine speed in advance, the truck doesn't jerk. What's your
thoughts?

Old December 13th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Vito

I traded in my 93 XLT 5 spd with 154K miles on it...and never had a clutch
problem

Old December 14th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Vic Klein

Mine, bought new in the Fall of '96, was having trouble shifting at 160K,
due apparantly to a slave cylinder problem. So I replaced the clutch and
slave cylinder and now am up to 225K miles. Runs like new. 85K life is short
unless the clutch has been abused.

=Vic=
Bear Gap, PA