Repair shop rate

Old December 12th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Anthony Giorgianni[_1_]

Default Repair shop rate

Hello All

Per my earlier post (Clutch issue 92), I've decided, as advised, to have the
clutch fluid replaced. A Ford dealer says they can do this and test the
system at the same time. The dealer has a $90/hour rate. That seems a bit
high (northern Westchester, NY) Just wondering what rates shop rates -
dealer and non-dealer are other seeing these days?

Thanks.

Tony Giorgianni

Old December 12th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Anthony Giorgianni wrote:
> Hello All
>
> Per my earlier post (Clutch issue 92), I've decided, as advised, to have the
> clutch fluid replaced. A Ford dealer says they can do this and test the
> system at the same time. The dealer has a $90/hour rate. That seems a bit
> high (northern Westchester, NY) Just wondering what rates shop rates -
> dealer and non-dealer are other seeing these days?

That's a really easy job. Essentially all you need to do is have a
helper depress the clutch pedal while you open the bleed fitting. Close
the fitting when the flow slows to keep air from getting back in, then
have your helper let off on the clutch pedal, and repeat. Do that until
the fluid runs clear, which won't take long. Keep topping off the
reservoir during the process so it doesn't run out of fluid.

You don't need to pay a highly skilled Ford mechanic to do it, any
place that works on brakes can do the job. Same for replacing the
master cylinder, it's less complicated than a brake master cylinder- no
ABS, no vacuum servo, only a single circuit instead of two.
-Paul

Old December 13th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Anthony Giorgianni[_1_]

Thanks. Apparently, they are not just going to change the fluid, but they're
also going to pressure test the system some how to see if perhaps there is a
leak somehow. Based on the result, they'll decide whether the clutch problem
is being caused by leak or something else - or maybe just contaminants in
the fluid. I don't have anyone here to help me try it myself. And I don't
know how to pressure test the system. I'll report back.

Since I posted, I called two other dealers - another near Westchester. NY is
89 an hour, and one near Hartford, CT where I used to live is 80. I'm not
concerned about paying for the fluid change and test. But if the slave
cylinder needs to be replaced, along with the clutch, etc., that will be a
huge bill - maybe even more than my 92 is worth (though the vehicle remains
immaculate) Haven't even worn the original brakes much. I really baby this
thing.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.
ps.com...

Old December 13th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Big Shoe

You have a '92 with the original brakes!!!! Front brakes on my '92
were a constant problem, needed repair every 25,000 or so. My '99 was
a whole different story, originals lasted 85,000.

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 01:59:00 GMT, "Anthony Giorgianni"

Old December 13th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Anthony Giorgianni[_1_]

Yeah, my front brakes have hardly been worn at all!!!! I really try not to
use them. I take the foot off the gas when I see a red light ahead, keep at
least four seconds between me and the car ahead and coast around a lot (and
I have a manual tranny). Oddly, the back drum brakes are worn more than the
front disc ones. I'm always torquing the lug nuts and regreasing the
calipers and slide rails, too. Keeps the brakes sliding nicely and prevents
rotor warp. And if I do replace the pads, I'd sand but not turn the rotors.
Now that I moved to hilly Westchester, New York, I'm having to use the
brakes a bit more.

Old December 13th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Al Williams

I think the main reason the older models last so long is they don't have
calliper slide rails to grease any longer. If you didn't grease them
regularly in the older models the brakes would prematurely wear.

My 98's original brakes are still going strong...

--
Allan Williams