Which oil in older car?

Old September 22nd 06, 08:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
J J

Default Which oil in older car?

I have a 1988 Ford 5.0 V8. Owners manual calls for 5w30 oil. The oil
change places want to use 10w 30. A Ford dealership says they use 5W
20 on every car and that it makes no difference.
So far I have insisted on using the 5w30. (The engine ticks when first
started when using 10W30 in winter.) Who is right?

Old September 22nd 06, 11:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shep

The owner's manual.

Old September 22nd 06, 11:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel

J J wrote:
> I have a 1988 Ford 5.0 V8. Owners manual calls for 5w30 oil. The oil
> change places want to use 10w 30. A Ford dealership says they use 5W
> 20 on every car and that it makes no difference.
> So far I have insisted on using the 5w30. (The engine ticks when first
> started when using 10W30 in winter.) Who is right?

first of all an '88 is not an "older" car. Secondly if the manual
recommends 5w30 there's no reason to use anything else, unless you have
an oil pressure problem.

The ticking you hear with the 10W30 is telling me that the 10W30 is too
thick when cold to really make your engine happy.

just MHO

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old September 22nd 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

J J wrote:
> I have a 1988 Ford 5.0 V8. Owners manual calls for 5w30 oil. The oil
> change places want to use 10w 30. A Ford dealership says they use 5W
> 20 on every car and that it makes no difference.
> So far I have insisted on using the 5w30. (The engine ticks when first
> started when using 10W30 in winter.) Who is right?

Ford Motor Company and therefore the owners manual.

Old September 22nd 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
K B

How can i tell if they put in the right oil or not? Most places wont
let you go in shop area.

http://community.webtv.net/katelyn_c/doc

Old September 22nd 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kaz Kylheku

J J wrote:
> So far I have insisted on using the 5w30. (The engine ticks when first
> started when using 10W30 in winter.)

Why would you switch to a thicker-pouring oil in the winter?

Old September 22nd 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
J J

I can see a couple of ways you could convince them to show you whats
happening on the rack. Trade rack for rack?
http://community.webtv.net/katelyn_c/doc

Old September 23rd 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Nate Nagel wrote:

> The ticking you hear with the 10W30 is telling me that the 10W30 is too
> thick when cold to really make your engine happy.

OR its just a Ford 302 saying "good morning!" like they all do.

:-)

I sure wouldn't use 5w20 EPA-pleasing monkey **** in any engine I cared
about, but 5w30 vs 10w30 is a toss-up. No reason for 5w much south of
Kansas, though.

Old September 23rd 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

K B wrote:

> How can i tell if they put in the right oil or not? Most places wont
> let you go in shop area.
>
> http://community.webtv.net/katelyn_c/doc

Change it yourself. It takes a half hour once you know how and have
bought a pair of ramps, and you KNOW you're getting a good filter and oil.

Old September 23rd 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Steve > wrote:
>K B wrote:
>
>> How can i tell if they put in the right oil or not? Most places wont
>> let you go in shop area.
>>
>> http://community.webtv.net/katelyn_c/doc

>Change it yourself. It takes a half hour once you know how and have
>bought a pair of ramps, and you KNOW you're getting a good filter and oil.

Agreed. I have seen quick oil change places screw it up so often that
I wouldn't trust any of them, and my dealer wants $75 to do a fifteen
minute job. If there's no chassis lube and you have a screw-on filter
and not a canister there is no reason you can't do it in fifteen minutes
flat in the driveway with ramps. My wife can.
--scott