Valve adjustment on 1993 Mazda Protege' 1.8L DOHC?

Old August 15th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
coldje

Default Valve adjustment on 1993 Mazda Protege' 1.8L DOHC?

Does anyone on this list know whether the 1993 1.8L DOHC engine has the
tappet and shim-type valve adjustment or hydraulic lash adjusters?

The Haynes manual says that 1995 and later 1.5L DOHC engines, 1.6L, and
1.8L DOHC engines have the tappet and shim adjustment. Does that mean
all 1.8L DOHC engines have the tappet and shim or just 1995 and later?
I also understand that the tappet and shim adjustment is a dealer
service since it requires a large assortment of shims?

jc

Old August 15th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

coldje wrote:
> Does anyone on this list know whether the 1993 1.8L DOHC engine has the
> tappet and shim-type valve adjustment or hydraulic lash adjusters?

Your '93 DOHC has hydraulic adjusters (followers) that ride over the
valves in the same bores. You would have to remove the cams to really
see them. No adjustment is necessary.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old August 15th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

> The Haynes manual says that 1995 and later 1.5L DOHC engines, 1.6L, and
> 1.8L DOHC engines have the tappet and shim adjustment. Does that mean
> all 1.8L DOHC engines have the tappet and shim or just 1995 and later?
> I also understand that the tappet and shim adjustment is a dealer
> service since it requires a large assortment of shims?

I can't speak for the 1.5, but I do know that the 1.6 and 1.8l DOHC
engines have hydraulic valve actuators. I hesitate to call them
'lifters' since they sit on top of the valve and the cam sits on top of
the actuators. Mazda calls them "HLA's"

Chris

Old August 16th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
TeGGeR®

"Comboverfish" > wrote in
ups.com:

> coldje wrote:
>> Does anyone on this list know whether the 1993 1.8L DOHC engine has the
>> tappet and shim-type valve adjustment or hydraulic lash adjusters?

> Your '93 DOHC has hydraulic adjusters (followers) that ride over the
> valves in the same bores. You would have to remove the cams to really
> see them. No adjustment is necessary.

I have to ask: What are the benefits of hydraulic followers other than a
reduction in owner maintenance?

--
TeGGeR®

Old August 16th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 00:58:18 +0000 (UTC), "TeGGeR®"
> wrote:

>"Comboverfish" > wrote in
oups.com:

>> coldje wrote:
>>> Does anyone on this list know whether the 1993 1.8L DOHC engine has the
>>> tappet and shim-type valve adjustment or hydraulic lash adjusters?

>> Your '93 DOHC has hydraulic adjusters (followers) that ride over the
>> valves in the same bores. You would have to remove the cams to really
>> see them. No adjustment is necessary.
>>

>I have to ask: What are the benefits of hydraulic followers other than a
>reduction in owner maintenance?

Quieter. No valve adjustment necessary on the production line or in
the field.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old August 16th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
coldje

Your answer begs another question:

There's quite a bit of clacking going on from underneath the valve
cover on this Protege'.
If I do have hydraulic followers, then how do I fix the clacking?

jc

Old August 16th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

coldje wrote:
> Your answer begs another question:
>
> There's quite a bit of clacking going on from underneath the valve
> cover on this Protege'.
> If I do have hydraulic followers, then how do I fix the clacking?

If the noise *is* from the followers, then the noisy ones most likely
need replacement. Mazda had a TSB regarding an improved HLA (follower)
design and a procedure to test the old ones. They wanted you to check
for a very small clearance between the cam lobe and the HLA.
Basically, any clearance would indicate a collapsed or stuck HLA. If
the HLAs are good, you could have restricted oil flow to the HLA feed
ports, low oil level, wrong viscosity or contaminated oil.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old August 17th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On 15 Aug 2006 21:25:09 -0700, "coldje" > wrote:

>Your answer begs another question:
>
>There's quite a bit of clacking going on from underneath the valve
>cover on this Protege'.
>If I do have hydraulic followers, then how do I fix the clacking?

Check the oil? We have cars come in all the for all kinds of reasons,
Tony starts the car to drive it in and check the brakes or whatever
-- Damn, that motor's kind of noisy! Pulls out the dipstick and its
dry. Owner says "But I get the oil changed every 4000 miles." Who
lied to all these folks and told them the dipstick is obsolete?

Sometimes an oil and filter change will shut up noisy valve
hydraulics, sometimes not. Replacing parts will get expensive.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com