1989 GTI Instrument Panel

Old January 21st 05, 09:59 PM
Lee

Default 1989 GTI Instrument Panel

I need to change the lights in my friends GTI. its a 89. anyhow have a how
to change the lights? I don't see any screen holes. I'm sure there hidden.

-Lee

Old January 21st 05, 10:59 PM
Randolph

Lee wrote:

> I need to change the lights in my friends GTI. its a 89. anyhow have a how
> to change the lights? I don't see any screen holes. I'm sure there hidden.
>
> -Lee

On my '87 GTi, the trim piece that goes around the instrument cluster,
heater controls, stereo etc. is held in with spring clips (unlike on the
Jetta, where there are screws). Carefully pry it straight out. Then
remove the switch for the headlights and the bracket that holds it (one
or two screws, can't remember). Then you can tilt the instrument cluster
out, top first. The speedometer cable needs to come off to get the
cluster out far enough to change the bulbs. Some models also have a
vacuum hose attached to the back of the instrument cluster. The bulbs
are special bayonet mount mount bulbs that you can not get at regular
parts stores. The dealer will have them as will parts stores
specializing in VW. There are several bulbs along the top edge of the
instrument cluster and another few at the back of the cluster.

When one of mine broke last year, I replaced all of them, the additional
expense justified by not having to open it up for another 16 years (I
wish, anyway).
Old January 26th 05, 06:14 PM

You have to take the trim off, 2 screws on top, two on bottom...then you
have to disconnect the speedo cable, then the wireing harnesses....then pull
the cluster out. from their you should see either green or orange plastic
thumb screws (those are the lights) just turn them and out they will
come.....install same as reverese of process.....however the speedo cable
can be pain to put back on.

--
Hatch
http://www.ifeellikebitching.com