Monsoon CD suddenly won't play disk

Old January 26th 05, 12:35 AM
Jeff McLean

Default Monsoon CD suddenly won't play disk

Hello drivers--

I've got a Y2K Passat wagon with the Monsoon sound system and VW branded
CD player. Additionally, I bought the useful Aux-input converter from PIE
(http://www.pie.net/vw_aux_inst.htm) to allow me to hook up my iPod. Up
until a week or two ago, all was well.

Now, quite suddenly, the CD player will no longer accept disks. Further,
I can't use the "Selection" button on the CD player to even choose the
in-dash player. It always defaults to "CD Changer" regardless whether the
Aux-input is plugged in or not. CDs are sucked into the drive, but then
promptly ejected.

Have tried unhooking car battery to see if some sort of hard restart of
the stereo system would help: nope. Have tried turning off system while
a CD is (briefly) in the drive to see if it would wake up and start
spinning: nope. After ejecting a disk, there's an interval, and said
disk is sucked back into the drive: that doesn't start it playing,
either. No amount of irritated jabbing of the "selection" button will get
the player to play a single CD. Suggestions? Must I buy a new CD
player? Ugh.

Luckily, the radio still works, and if I've remembered to bring my iPod
along, and it's charged up, it works too. Still, I'd like to occasionally
be able to play an individual CD. Help!

Thanks,

Jeff
Old January 26th 05, 01:02 AM
Rob Guenther

Try cleaning the lens in the player with a lens cleaning CD - I've never
used one, but I hear they can work

Inspect your CD's - how scratched are they? - My VW in dash player doesn't
like badly beating up CDs, or CDs that are so cold they have developed a fog
on them from handling (tho when this disapears they are fine)

Hold the "Select" switch down to switch over from your Changer/Aux-In (that
is a pretty neat idea, I used to have an Aux-In on my 1991 Golf (Aftermarket
deck, tho I think one of the VW decks from that era had the jack as well), I
don't know why they don't put these on every radio, so much nicer then using
a tape deck adaptor! - most cars don't have a tape deck anymore, yet no line
level in (White/Red RCA jacks), or headphones/mic style inputs - 1/8th inch
jack IIRC)

I hear you on not wanting to change out the player, it's quite a bit of
money for a new VW deck/player or standalone player (don't know which style
you have... I have a separate headunit and player - on the newer cars they
are integral) and the VW unit isn't lacking in sound quality when playing
CD's.... Plus aftermarket decks get stolen, they look ugly, and they are a
pain in the ass to use, and they are designed to appeal to pimple faced 16
year olds who put more money into their stereo's then they spent on the car
that holds the stereo.

Old January 26th 05, 02:22 AM
Jeff McLean

Thanks Rob, good tip on cleaning the lens. Maybe that will work.
The CD's tested are pristine: it's not caused by scratched disks.
And I must not have made myself clear: Holding, pushing or
even glaring at the Select button makes no difference. The rotten
player still insists on shifting over to "CD Changer" rather than
"CD player". Player and radio are separate units: at least I won't
have to spring for a new radio as well. jdm

In article >, "Rob Guenther"

Old January 26th 05, 09:59 PM
Rob Guenther

The player is still a few hundred bucks at least... look for used ones on
E-Bay tho... I bought mine from my mechanic, the instruction manual was for
a VW Lupo or Polo (I think he bought it when he was over in Germany looking
for an exporter of Audi parts)