Headlight opinions

Old December 13th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Vito

Default Headlight opinions

I have a 96 EB AWD V8 with 242K miles on it. The headlights are starting to
take on that yellowed appearance.

Has anyone else tried any of the aftermarket OEM replacements, or the
"Diamond cut lenses"?

Which provided greater light output without blinding oncoming drivers, and
still retained the OEM aiming capabilities?

Old December 18th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
boomouse

Lenses are function of how the light emitted by your bulb is
dispersed/focused on the road. Bulbs, depending on the type you use
will determine how well lighted the area aimed at by your lenses will
be and in what color. I have no experience with diamond cut lenses on
the Explorer. But I installed some on my '96 4runner and had to re-aim
the headlights because they came out a bit too high and i was getting
yelled at a lot.

I am in the Philippines where rules on light bulb intensity are not
really a cause of worry if you know what I mean. The new high
efficiency halogens can produce illumination in the effective range of
90w to 135w without using up more than your standard OEM bulb.

I replaced mine with McCulloch Xenon bulbs with a color temperature of
10,000 deg K and effective intensity of over 200w but drawing far less
than the OEMs. Great in fine weather, bloody dangerous when the roads
are wet as the light would bounce up to the oncoming car. I had to put
in foglamps for driving on the wet.