Heater always on even with air conditioner on

Old December 11th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
explorer1

Default Heater always on even with air conditioner on

Hi guys this is my first message, got some great information off you
guys already, just wondering if some one could help me with this one,
I have an explorer 1998 xlt the heater seems to always be on even
with the airconditioning on (a/c and Max A/c) even when i put the
thermistat swith to cool it still blows hot air. I had the gas filled
on the a/c but did nothing still blowing hot air. Its is starting to
get into the hot weather in Australia and the other day i had a 1.5
hour drive in 40C with hot seeping through the vents, nearly passed
out. (damn)

Thanks for your help in advance

cheers

Old December 11th 06, 08:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

Unfortunately, the best advice in this case is to take the vehicle to an A/C
professional for diagnosis and repair. Servicing a modern A/C system
requires specialized tools and knowledge. It's not rocket science, but the
weekend mechanic is not likely to have either. In particular, "filling gas"
won't solve much and can even be dangerous.

Having said that, you seem to have more than one problem. Please note that
this is based on the US model, which may be different from yours. Here is a
short list:
1) You may have the infamous blend door problem (Google for it -- it's a
bitch to fix).
2) Quite possibly, your A/C system is defective and the 'filling' did not
help. Check if the compressor is even engaging (the hub in the center of its
pulley should be rotating). If it is, touch the accummulator/dryer (the big
cylinder hanging right next to the firewall) or the tubes connected to it.
All should be cold.
3) There is a valve that's supposed to stop the coolant from circulating
through the heater core in Max A/C position. If it's actually heating in
this position, and not just circulating air, that valve is not working. This
is an easy fix, but by itself won't solve your problem.