Check engine light

Old July 7th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Check engine light

Hi All,

How do I turn off the check engine light? The car won't pass inspection
with it on. I tried disconnecting the battery but nothing happened. I
found sone on EBay here http://stores.ebay.com/OneSmartMove

Has anyone tried similar one?

Thanks,

Old July 7th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
anumber1

wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How do I turn off the check engine light? The car won't pass inspection
> with it on. I tried disconnecting the battery but nothing happened. I
> found sone on EBay here
http://stores.ebay.com/OneSmartMove

> Has anyone tried similar one?
>
> Thanks,

First step:
Find out why the check engine light it lit.

Step two:
Fix the problem.

Then you will pass your testing.

The OBD/II scanner you found on eaby will acomplish step one but if
there is a genuine fault, erasing the trouble code may not turn the
light out for long. Once you know why the check engine light is on the
fix amay be simple (or not) however.

Most "chain" autoparts stores like AutoZone, Cragin/Shucks and Pep Boys
will check the codes for you for free.

Good luck
Old July 7th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AZ Nomad[_1_]

On 7 Jul 2006 07:17:32 -0700, > wrote:

>Hi All,

>How do I turn off the check engine light? The car won't pass inspection
>with it on. I tried disconnecting the battery but nothing happened. I
>found sone on EBay here
http://stores.ebay.com/OneSmartMove

>Has anyone tried similar one?

>Thanks,

What you need to do is sell your car and take the bus. You're too stupid
to handle even an extreme-idiot light.

Something like taking your car to a car parts place that offers free
diagnostic readouts, like autozone, is going to be too much for you.
Old July 7th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>
>How do I turn off the check engine light? The car won't pass inspection
>with it on. I tried disconnecting the battery but nothing happened. I
>found sone on EBay here http://stores.ebay.com/OneSmartMove
>
>Has anyone tried similar one?

You have three choices:

1. Remove the light bulb

2. Give the inspector an extra $20

3. Actually find out what caused the light to come on, which involves
getting the code, finding out what the code means, finding out what
caused the error, and fixing it so the error doesn't happen again.
How this is done depends a lot on the kind of car you have.
--scott

Old July 7th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pop

AZ Nomad wrote:
> On 7 Jul 2006 07:17:32 -0700,
> > wrote:
>

> > Hi All,

> > How do I turn off the check engine light? The car won't
> > pass inspection with it on. I tried disconnecting the
> > battery but nothing happened. I found sone on EBay here

http://stores.ebay.com/OneSmartMove

> > Has anyone tried similar one?

> > Thanks,

> What you need to do is sell your car and take the bus.
> You're too stupid to handle even an extreme-idiot light.
>
> Something like taking your car to a car parts place that
> offers free diagnostic readouts, like autozone, is going to
> be too much for you.

YOU are exactly why taking a bus is NOT acceptable - sitting
amongst a bunch of you's is just not something I can stand to do
on a daily basis.
And if you're not riding busses, you should be, because I
don't want you on the road with me or anyone else for that
matter!

Cranking out real replies is too much for you; crawl back under
your bridge. I now pronounce you a non-entity.

Old July 7th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pop

wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How do I turn off the check engine light? The car won't
> pass inspection with it on. I tried disconnecting the
> battery but nothing happened. I found sone on EBay here

http://stores.ebay.com/OneSmartMove

> Has anyone tried similar one?
>
> Thanks,

That's not necessarily true, depending on where you live, and I
didn't know it was true anywhere.
They do NOT check the light here, or care - only the test
results matter.
You could have Check Engine, No Oil, Overtemp and any other
lite you have on, and they would still go by the test results
THEY get. Now, that would get you past the emissions tests if
you passed, but ... dunno about the other inspections where
you're located<g>.

Old July 7th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On 7 Jul 2006 07:17:32 -0700, wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>How do I turn off the check engine light?

MAKE & MODEL OF VEHICLE!!!!

Why do you even bother to post without providing that information?

What is wrong with ME that I even bother to reply?

> The car won't pass inspection
>with it on.

In many areas '96 up won't pass inspection unless all the self
diagnostic monitors have run and passed. Turning off the check engine
lights resets these so they all have to run again. Presumably
whatever caused the check engine light to come on will cause it to
come on again by the time the monitors are complete. Just in case you
are having trouble getting it, it will either fail for monitors
incomplete or the detected fault which you are apparently loath to
have diagnosed and repaired.

Of course since you chose to withhold the make and model of your
vehicle as well as where the vehicle is registered -- which determines
what the applicable emissions standards are -- any answer you receive
from me or anyone else is 98% speculative and useless.

> I tried disconnecting the battery but nothing happened.

That normally won't erase fault codes on 96 or newer.
But, for all we know, this is a heavy duty diesel and not OBDII
compliant.

|I found sone on EBay here
http://stores.ebay.com/OneSmartMove

Why not spend the money on getting the problem diagnosed?

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old July 7th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Pop wrote:

> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > How do I turn off the check engine light? The car won't
> > pass inspection with it on. I tried disconnecting the
> > battery but nothing happened. I found sone on EBay here

http://stores.ebay.com/OneSmartMove

> > Has anyone tried similar one?
> >
> > Thanks,

> That's not necessarily true, depending on where you live, and I
> didn't know it was true anywhere.
> They do NOT check the light here, or care - only the test
> results matter.
> You could have Check Engine, No Oil, Overtemp and any other
> lite you have on, and they would still go by the test results
> THEY get. Now, that would get you past the emissions tests if
> you passed, but ... dunno about the other inspections where
> you're located<g>.

Or he could just go screw himself seeing as he is a SPAMMER offering
fake answers and links to garbage to fake questions...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old July 7th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AZ Nomad[_1_]

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 16:47:34 GMT, Pop > wrote:

>AZ Nomad wrote:
>> On 7 Jul 2006 07:17:32 -0700,
>> > wrote:
>>

>> > Hi All,

>> > How do I turn off the check engine light? The car won't
>> > pass inspection with it on. I tried disconnecting the
>> > battery but nothing happened. I found sone on EBay here

http://stores.ebay.com/OneSmartMove

>> > Has anyone tried similar one?

>> > Thanks,

>> What you need to do is sell your car and take the bus.
>> You're too stupid to handle even an extreme-idiot light.
>>
>> Something like taking your car to a car parts place that
>> offers free diagnostic readouts, like autozone, is going to
>> be too much for you.

>YOU are exactly why taking a bus is NOT acceptable - sitting
>amongst a bunch of you's is just not something I can stand to do
>on a daily basis.
> And if you're not riding busses, you should be, because I
>don't want you on the road with me or anyone else for that
>matter!

>Cranking out real replies is too much for you; crawl back under
>your bridge. I now pronounce you a non-entity.

Aww.. did ums hurt yur widdle feelings?

Old July 7th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shep

Don, great, that is the emissions issue for inspection in NYS, boy we wasted
some typing here!!