sluggish start on my 91 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Old July 11th 05, 06:36 PM
ksoyk

Default sluggish start on my 91 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Hi all! Jeep girl here needing some help - my 91 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
has suddenly decided to start sluggish (best word to describe it, I
guess). When I turn the key, the turning-over-sound is very sluggish
sounding/feeling, and then it catches and runs just like normal. :?
This wasn’t a gradual problem - it literally just started doing it.
It still does the typical 2-4 Jeep turn overs and then the engine
starts, but the turn overs are struggling now.
I have no idea what’s up, and hold my breath every time I turn the
key, hoping for it to catch. So far, it’s always caught *whew!*.
This is my only vehicle!
Any suggestions on what the problem could be? Many, many thanks for
everyone’s help!

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/4X4-sluggi...ict128481.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=626597
Old July 12th 05, 04:59 AM
Franko

Clean all contact surfaces on the battery, cables, bolts,
etc. Clean the connections to the starter. Remove the
chassis ground and clean their contact surfaces, too. After
doing all of that, fully charge the battery (follow
recommended procedures for battery charging to prevent
electronics damage). Good luck.

Franko

P.S. If you have to crank several times to start, wait at
least 2 to 3 minutes between attempts. Also, do not crank
for more than 12- 15 seconds. These should help prevent
damage to your starter.

"Chris" > wrote in message
Battery??

In article
<1_626597_6fe46eaa4b777664c8942993c0c54309@autofor umz.com>,
says...

Old July 12th 05, 09:36 PM
ksoyk

"ksoyk" wrote:
> Hi all! Jeep girl here needing some help - my 91 Jeep
> Cherokee Laredo has suddenly decided to start sluggish (best
> word to describe it, I guess). When I turn the key, the
> turning-over-sound is very sluggish sounding/feeling, and then
> it catches and runs just like normal. :?
> This wasn't a gradual problem - it literally just started
> doing it. It still does the typical 2-4 Jeep turn overs and
> then the engine starts, but the turn overs are struggling now.
> I have no idea what's up, and hold my breath every time I turn
> the key, hoping for it to catch. So far, it's always caught
> *whew!*. This is my only vehicle!
> Any suggestions on what the problem could be? Many, many
> thanks for everyone's help!

Yay! It turned out to be just the battery - I was worried it’d be
something more expensive like the alternator or something, but *whew*!
Thanks, everyone!
ksoyk
Old July 17th 05, 01:46 AM
Lon

ksoyk proclaimed:

> Hi all! Jeep girl here needing some help - my 91 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
> has suddenly decided to start sluggish (best word to describe it, I
> guess). When I turn the key, the turning-over-sound is very sluggish
> sounding/feeling, and then it catches and runs just like normal. :?
> This wasn’t a gradual problem - it literally just started doing it.
> It still does the typical 2-4 Jeep turn overs and then the engine
> starts, but the turn overs are struggling now.
> I have no idea what’s up, and hold my breath every time I turn the
> key, hoping for it to catch. So far, it’s always caught *whew!*.
> This is my only vehicle!
> Any suggestions on what the problem could be? Many, many thanks for
> everyone’s help!

The most obvious cause would be the battery is getting old.
If that isn't it, loose and dirty connections would be next to
check. Not only at the battery, but the straps to ground.

If you have someone available for a jump start, try the
battery surface charge test. Turn the lights on for over
five minutes, then try to start. If the battery is weak
it will get much worse with the lights on.

You could also have a weak alternator, but typically if
your battery is more than 2-3 years old, have it and your
charging checked.

PS. If the long cranking time bothers you, just turn the
key to on for a coupla seconds [if you can hear the fuel
pump, you'll hear it run and then stop] and then try the
actual start. If that works, you just have a bit of
fuel drain down which is no biggy if you just remember to
always key on a few seconds to charge it.