a lot of extra power from a 258CI inline six CJ7

Old February 24th 05, 10:00 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Bill,
Just like you're not using the computer that came with yours. Of
course your Multiport Fuel Injection is electronically controlled and
would need it's computer.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 24th 05, 10:03 PM
Mike Romain

The 82 to 86 258 and the YJ's with the 258 all have a poor Ford attempt
at an emissions computer in them running the carb and the spark timing.

This computer acts like an old fashioned governor and limits the rpm to
slightly over 3000 before it clamps down and the engine won't rev
higher.

By modifying any part of the ignition or carb, this emissions computer
either gets removed or put to sleep or you get really ****ty performance
because it goes into 'limp home' mode.

Adding FI kills the sucker and you get a FI computer with it's inherent
poor(er) gas mileage. The carb well tuned gets about 5 mpg better
mileage than the FI systems from what I have observed.

Mike

Old February 24th 05, 10:04 PM
Mike Romain

I have 3.31's and she will just howl if I am too heavy on the pedal.

Mike

Old February 24th 05, 10:45 PM
William Oliveri

Really? That's pretty close to stock isn't it?

Old February 24th 05, 10:48 PM
William Oliveri

Sounds like I should trash my MPFI for a carb :-)

Old February 24th 05, 10:51 PM
Mike Romain

Exactly stock for my CJ7's D44. A lot of them came with 3.31's.

Mike

Old February 24th 05, 10:52 PM
Mike Romain

The only good thing about the FI is you can ignore tune ups longer. The
carb isn't quite so forgiving... ;-)

Mike

Old February 24th 05, 11:45 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The quickest Pro Stock cars are carburated:
http://www.pro-system.com/domination.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

eScrew [email protected] Driving 0 December 20th 04 11:52 AM
eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Ford Mustang 0 December 20th 04 11:19 AM
extra power cable through firewall Ralph Blach Dodge 10 July 3rd 04 02:13 AM