Tyres or chains?

Old September 25th 04, 11:42 AM
Paul Rooney

Default Tyres or chains?

Anyone got experience of using snow tyres and/or snow chains?
Is one preferable to the other?
Anything else I should know about them?

Cheers.

--

Paul

(Watch this space)
Old September 25th 04, 11:06 PM
The Ancient One

"Paul Rooney" > wrote in message
news
> Anyone got experience of using snow tyres and/or snow chains?
> Is one preferable to the other?
> Anything else I should know about them?
>
> Cheers.
>

> Paul

Tires for all but extreme conditions, only needed to use chains maybe twice
in twenty years.

Old September 26th 04, 12:36 AM
Lon

Paul Rooney proclaimed:

> Anyone got experience of using snow tyres and/or snow chains?

Yes.

> Is one preferable to the other?

Yes.

> Anything else I should know about them?

Not even chains can make up for driving skills that lack slick weather
experience.

Snow tires tend to be of two varieties. The mud and snow will
typically have rather large tread voids in order to deal with
deep packed or loose snow. Deep as in several inches. A more
typical "snow" tire is really an ice tire...with tread compound
that stays soft at very low temperature, tends to be hydrophilic,
and will typically have a lot of small cuts or sipes to give more
gripping edges on ice. The best of these may be almost as good
as studded tires.

Chains are for severe conditions. Even the cable style will cause
a lot of vibration. Should be used at very low speeds only.
Old September 26th 04, 11:16 AM
Paul Rooney

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 23:36:29 GMT, Lon > wrote:

>Paul Rooney proclaimed:
>
>> Anyone got experience of using snow tyres and/or snow chains?

> Yes.
>
>> Is one preferable to the other?

> Yes.
>
>> Anything else I should know about them?

> Not even chains can make up for driving skills that lack slick weather
> experience.
>
> Snow tires tend to be of two varieties. The mud and snow will
> typically have rather large tread voids in order to deal with
> deep packed or loose snow. Deep as in several inches. A more
> typical "snow" tire is really an ice tire...with tread compound
> that stays soft at very low temperature, tends to be hydrophilic,
> and will typically have a lot of small cuts or sipes to give more
> gripping edges on ice. The best of these may be almost as good
> as studded tires.
>
> Chains are for severe conditions. Even the cable style will cause
> a lot of vibration. Should be used at very low speeds only.

Thanks.
Can you keep snow tyres on all winter and drive on snow-free roads OK,
or do you have to keep changing them over when you get onto clear
roads?

--

Paul

(Watch this space)
Old September 26th 04, 05:51 PM
Generic

"Paul Rooney" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 23:36:29 GMT, Lon > wrote:
> > Snow tires tend to be of two varieties. The mud and snow will
> > typically have rather large tread voids in order to deal with
> > deep packed or loose snow. Deep as in several inches. A more
> > typical "snow" tire is really an ice tire...with tread compound
> > that stays soft at very low temperature, tends to be hydrophilic,
> > and will typically have a lot of small cuts or sipes to give more
> > gripping edges on ice. The best of these may be almost as good
> > as studded tires.
> >
> > Chains are for severe conditions. Even the cable style will cause
> > a lot of vibration. Should be used at very low speeds only.

> Thanks.
> Can you keep snow tyres on all winter and drive on snow-free roads OK,
> or do you have to keep changing them over when you get onto clear
> roads?

Tires are generally safe on clear roads but the wear, noise and handling can
be worse than a regular street tire. The mud & snow type can be incredibly
loud vs. a street tire. It depends on the particular tire.

-John

Old September 26th 04, 06:11 PM
Paul Rooney

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:51:44 -0700, "Generic" >
wrote:

>"Paul Rooney" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 23:36:29 GMT, Lon > wrote:
>> > Snow tires tend to be of two varieties. The mud and snow will
>> > typically have rather large tread voids in order to deal with
>> > deep packed or loose snow. Deep as in several inches. A more
>> > typical "snow" tire is really an ice tire...with tread compound
>> > that stays soft at very low temperature, tends to be hydrophilic,
>> > and will typically have a lot of small cuts or sipes to give more
>> > gripping edges on ice. The best of these may be almost as good
>> > as studded tires.
>> >
>> > Chains are for severe conditions. Even the cable style will cause
>> > a lot of vibration. Should be used at very low speeds only.

>> Thanks.
>> Can you keep snow tyres on all winter and drive on snow-free roads OK,
>> or do you have to keep changing them over when you get onto clear
>> roads?

>Tires are generally safe on clear roads but the wear, noise and handling can
>be worse than a regular street tire. The mud & snow type can be incredibly
>loud vs. a street tire. It depends on the particular tire.
>
>-John

Thanks. What kind of conditions would chains be able to cope with, do
you know?

--

Paul

(Watch this space)
Old September 26th 04, 06:43 PM
Generic

"Paul Rooney" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:51:44 -0700, "Generic" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Paul Rooney" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> Thanks.
> >> Can you keep snow tyres on all winter and drive on snow-free roads OK,
> >> or do you have to keep changing them over when you get onto clear
> >> roads?

> >Tires are generally safe on clear roads but the wear, noise and handling

can
> >be worse than a regular street tire. The mud & snow type can be

incredibly
> >loud vs. a street tire. It depends on the particular tire.

> Thanks. What kind of conditions would chains be able to cope with, do
> you know?

The major use for tire chains is on 2wd vehicles in ice and not too deep
snow on paved roads. They give a 2wd the ability to move when it would
otherwise spin its wheels or slide off the road. They'd probably help
somewhat off road, in mud for example, but in practice the people who go far
off road get a specialized 4wd vehicle.]

[Tire chains are thoroughly miserable to use. Traditionally you must lay
them out then drive on top, and attach clips from behind dirty and wet
wheels. In the middle of bad weather on the side of a road. Then you have
to drive a few feet and tighten them or they'll fall off. Then you must go
25mph or less to avoid tire damage, and they can scratch wheels or slap
against the bodywork. When you finish the wet and dirty chains must be
stored somewhere. Some systems have improved on this routine a bit, but
professional chain installation is big business during ski season in places
like Lake Tahoe.]

-John

Old September 26th 04, 06:58 PM
Paul Rooney

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:43:56 -0700, "Generic" >
wrote:

>"Paul Rooney" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:51:44 -0700, "Generic" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Paul Rooney" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >Tires are generally safe on clear roads but the wear, noise and handling

>can
>> >be worse than a regular street tire. The mud & snow type can be

>incredibly
>> >loud vs. a street tire. It depends on the particular tire.

>> Thanks. What kind of conditions would chains be able to cope with, do
>> you know?

>The major use for tire chains is on 2wd vehicles in ice and not too deep
>snow on paved roads. They give a 2wd the ability to move when it would
>otherwise spin its wheels or slide off the road. They'd probably help
>somewhat off road, in mud for example, but in practice the people who go far
>off road get a specialized 4wd vehicle.]
>
>[Tire chains are thoroughly miserable to use. Traditionally you must lay
>them out then drive on top, and attach clips from behind dirty and wet
>wheels. In the middle of bad weather on the side of a road. Then you have
>to drive a few feet and tighten them or they'll fall off. Then you must go
>25mph or less to avoid tire damage, and they can scratch wheels or slap
>against the bodywork. When you finish the wet and dirty chains must be
>stored somewhere. Some systems have improved on this routine a bit, but
>professional chain installation is big business during ski season in places
>like Lake Tahoe.]
>
>-John

Thanks. I'm thinking of situations when, for example, you park up at
the top of a mountain pass (I'm in England, by the way) and go on a
day's walk, only to find the weather turns bad and there's fairly deep
snow by the time you get back to the car. I wonder whether chains
would get me out of such a situation.
There are some easy-fit chains available on the internet, though I
don't know how easy they really are to fit in a blizzard!

--

Paul

(Watch this space)
Old September 26th 04, 07:11 PM
Generic

wrote:

hydrophilic,

more

cause

OK,

handling
> >can

> >incredibly

> >> Thanks. What kind of conditions would chains be able to cope with, do
> >> you know?

> >The major use for tire chains is on 2wd vehicles in ice and not too deep
> >snow on paved roads. They give a 2wd the ability to move when it would
> >otherwise spin its wheels or slide off the road. They'd probably help
> >somewhat off road, in mud for example, but in practice the people who go

far
> >off road get a specialized 4wd vehicle.]
> >
> >[Tire chains are thoroughly miserable to use. Traditionally you must lay
> >them out then drive on top, and attach clips from behind dirty and wet
> >wheels. In the middle of bad weather on the side of a road. Then you

have
> >to drive a few feet and tighten them or they'll fall off. Then you must

go
> >25mph or less to avoid tire damage, and they can scratch wheels or slap
> >against the bodywork. When you finish the wet and dirty chains must be
> >stored somewhere. Some systems have improved on this routine a bit, but
> >professional chain installation is big business during ski season in

places
> >like Lake Tahoe.]

> Thanks. I'm thinking of situations when, for example, you park up at
> the top of a mountain pass (I'm in England, by the way) and go on a
> day's walk, only to find the weather turns bad and there's fairly deep
> snow by the time you get back to the car. I wonder whether chains
> would get me out of such a situation.
> There are some easy-fit chains available on the internet, though I
> don't know how easy they really are to fit in a blizzard!

It'll depend on the particular conditions, but they'll give you better odds
of getting out than having nothing. If the snow is deeper than the ground
clearance of the vehicle you may still get stuck. The Lake Tahoe region is
at the top of the mountains in California, so drivers passing through
typically put chains on somewhere on the up slope and take them off on the
down slope.

-John

Old September 26th 04, 07:12 PM
Paul Rooney

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:11:43 -0700, "Generic" >
wrote:

>It'll depend on the particular conditions, but they'll give you better odds
>of getting out than having nothing. If the snow is deeper than the ground
>clearance of the vehicle you may still get stuck. The Lake Tahoe region is
>at the top of the mountains in California, so drivers passing through
>typically put chains on somewhere on the up slope and take them off on the
>down slope.

Thanks, John.

--

Paul

(Watch this space)

Tyres again Tony Rickard Alfa Romeo 8 December 1st 04 10:17 PM
Dual Rear Wheel, 4X4 & Snow Chains OrygunGuy 4x4 0 December 22nd 03 05:05 PM
Snow chains on a 2001 Dakota 4x4? Bouncy Tigger 4x4 0 December 16th 03 08:53 AM