Engine Code P 0442

Old July 8th 05, 07:04 PM
Tomes

Default Engine Code P 0442

Hi folks,
I have my first engine code at about 65000 miles: P 0442. 2 questions if
you please:

1) What is this?

2) What do I need to do about it?

Thanks very much,
Tomes
2002 TJ 4.0, no AC

Old July 8th 05, 07:15 PM
Dave Milne

1) Small leak detected in evaporitive purge system.
2) Apart from the obvious, check the petrol tank fuel cap.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

nk.net...

Old July 8th 05, 07:38 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 8th 05, 07:57 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Tomes" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Hi folks,
> I have my first engine code at about 65000 miles: P 0442. 2 questions if
> you please:
>
> 1) What is this?

It means there is a leak in the Evaporative Emissions Control System.

> 2) What do I need to do about it?

Put the gas cap on securely.

Check it out,
P0442 OBD Trouble Code

Technical Description
Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

What does that mean?
This indicates a fuel vapor leak in the EVAP control system. It means a very
small leak has been detected. In fact, the leak can be from a hole as small
as 0.04" in diameter. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape
of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses
to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a
purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors
into the engine.

Symptoms
You likely won't notice any drivability problems.

Causes
A code P0442 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:

A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
A small leak/hole in a fuel vapor hose/tube
Other small leak in EVAP system
Faulty vent o-ring seal

Possible Solutions
With a P0442, the most common repair is to:

Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, and drive for a day and
see if the codes come back.
Otherwise, replace the gas cap, or
Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses

Old July 8th 05, 07:58 PM
Jeff Strickland

Here is the OBD Website,

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/index.php

nk.net...

Old July 9th 05, 12:12 AM
Tomes

Thanks folks. I went and re affixed the gas cap and I'll take it out for a
run later, likely tomorrow, and then recheck the codes. When I opened it
up, it made a big old sucking sound. I don't know if this is normal tho
(here in NJ we are not allowed to pump our own gas, thank the gods, the
hazardous material that it is).

The real reason that I will take it for a run later is it is now drying out
from being soaked from today's rainpour. I thought that I could get away
with just the bikini top - LOL on me. Actually, I was fine with my doors
put back on, but that gap between the roll bar and the door was the funnel
point for all of the rain from the top and I ended up with 3 inches of water
on the passenger side when I got home (mostly left turns in the beginning
dumped most of it that way). I was dry tho. Seats all wet, the way back
all soaked from shoving the soaked over-cover in there. I have come to
realize that that over-cover is water resistant, not water proof [grin].
Therefore, I want to let it sit in the sun tomorrow for a bit. ;-]
Tomes

Old July 9th 05, 02:48 AM
Jeff Strickland

"Tomes" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Thanks folks. I went and re affixed the gas cap and I'll take it out for
> run later, likely tomorrow, and then recheck the codes. When I opened it
> up, it made a big old sucking sound. I don't know if this is normal tho
> (here in NJ we are not allowed to pump our own gas, thank the gods, the
> hazardous material that it is).

Well, I like to believe the gas pumping professionals are highly trained,
and they know how to put the gas cap back on, as tricky as that might be.
Since these professionals are the cream of the crop, then you may have an
actual leak somewhere, or your professional missed training the day they put
gas caps on. The giant sucking sound is normal, this means that the system
is sealed, which is counter to the P0442 code.

I'd reset the codes and twist the gas cap a few clicks, and wait for the
code to pop up again.

Old July 9th 05, 03:40 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Usually when the vapor system detects a leak, gasoline is missing
in five gallon incumbents.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 9th 05, 02:05 PM
Tomes

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> "Tomes" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
> > (here in NJ we are not allowed to pump our own gas, thank the gods, the
> > hazardous material that it is).
> >

> Well, I like to believe the gas pumping professionals are highly trained,
> and they know how to put the gas cap back on, as tricky as that might be.
> Since these professionals are the cream of the crop, then you may have an
> actual leak somewhere, or your professional missed training the day they

put
> gas caps on.

yeah, I know - I was being a bit facetious too. I do like not having to do
it however - it keeps me from getting smelly and in the vehicle on bad
weather days.

Once I run the Jeep around for a bit later on I will report back. Thanks
again folks.
Tomes

Old July 9th 05, 02:07 PM
Tomes

I am thinking that all my incumbent gas is still in there as my gauge
reading is unaffected, and thanks Bill.
Tomes