Best year(s) for V6 Alfa75?

Old July 5th 04, 11:09 AM
JB

Default Best year(s) for V6 Alfa75?

I'm going to be using an Alfa75 V6 as a donor for a trike project in the
very near future and I need some advice as to which is the best V6 used in
the 75 and what would be the best year to look for and any particular
version of the engine to avoid. A rotten, crashed, or MOT failure vehicle
will be the donor vehicle as I only need the engine/transaxle/rear
suspension/cooling system.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
cheers,
JB

Old July 5th 04, 01:27 PM
Catman

JB wrote:

> I'm going to be using an Alfa75 V6 as a donor for a trike project in the
> very near future and I need some advice as to which is the best V6 used in
> the 75

AFAIK (but as ever I could well be wrong) there was only one version: 12V
in both 2.5 and 3l capacities.

The water pumps show some weakness (apparently) with reports of failures at
20k miles and so forth. Also, the cambelt tensioner will leak oil if not
properly cared for. It's not *hard* to get right, but seems to be done
rarely. There is a conversion available that removes the oil pressure
aspect of the tensioner.

The camshafts are not the toughest either, especially on the exhasut side
where they act through rockers so you may well want to think of changing
them together with belts and waterpump while the engine is out, if you have
a high mileage one.

As with any Alfa, try to find one that has been well cared for. Regular
oil changes help greatly

This should not be an issue, but it's as well to be aware that these
engines do *not* respond well to being turned backwards. The tension comes
off the cam belt, and it will almost certainly jump. Any attempt to start
the engine from there will (AFAIK) result in valve / piston interface. Not
good.

HTH and I'm not too misinformed
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 5th 04, 01:56 PM
JB

"Catman" > wrote in message
> JB wrote:
>
> > I'm going to be using an Alfa75 V6 as a donor for a trike project in the
> > very near future and I need some advice as to which is the best V6 used

in
> > the 75

> AFAIK (but as ever I could well be wrong) there was only one version: 12V
> in both 2.5 and 3l capacities.
>
> The water pumps show some weakness (apparently) with reports of failures

at
> 20k miles and so forth. Also, the cambelt tensioner will leak oil if not
> properly cared for. It's not *hard* to get right, but seems to be done
> rarely. There is a conversion available that removes the oil pressure
> aspect of the tensioner.
>
> The camshafts are not the toughest either, especially on the exhasut side
> where they act through rockers so you may well want to think of changing
> them together with belts and waterpump while the engine is out, if you

have
> a high mileage one.
>
> As with any Alfa, try to find one that has been well cared for. Regular
> oil changes help greatly
>
> This should not be an issue, but it's as well to be aware that these
> engines do *not* respond well to being turned backwards. The tension

comes
> off the cam belt, and it will almost certainly jump. Any attempt to start
> the engine from there will (AFAIK) result in valve / piston interface.

Not
> good.
>

> HTH and I'm not too misinformed
> --

Many thanks for the advice. I'm pretty glad they are only 12v engines too. I
think a trip to the auctions or breakers will be on the cards soon.
Cheers,
JB