Dundrod - An Appreciation

Old October 19th 04, 03:54 AM
Steve Smith

Default Dundrod - An Appreciation

Dundrod - An Appreciation

Wrong and wrong again! All the great GPL vintage tracks have NOT been
released, as I so precipitously proclaimed in my 9/10 Appreciation of Sergio
Loro's Mellaha (Tripoli) and was subsequently forced to amend in my
Appreciation of John Basara's Monza 10K on 9/27.

Jim Pearson, he of the superb recreation of the fabled 198-turn, 15.4-mile
Isle of Man circuit (7/12/03), has proved me wrong again with--what
else?--an equally superb recreation of the only-slightly-less-stupendous
Dundrod circuit, altho, strictly speaking, this long (7.4-mile) and winding
(36-turn) gambol thru Northern Ireland is not contemporaneous with the GPL
era, having last been used for the 1955 running of the famous "TT" (Tourist
Trophy), which was won that year by a trio of Mercedes-Benz 300SLRs
trouncing a field of Jaguar D-Types and Aston Martin DB3Ss.

In point of fact, no single-seaters (except bikes) ever ran at Dundrod, and
given the "country lane" nature of the layout, a field of 3-liter '67 F1
cars would likely all have ended up in the trees, fences, hedges and
ditches.

It is *very* narrow. As in real life, passing online or AI cars will be
very difficult, but it is nonetheless (at least for the hot-lapper) a
beautiful romp thru the countryside, which includes homey names like
Flowbog, Rushyhill, and Tornagrough, and authentic-looking signage with
warnings like "Slow! Wet Tar!" and "Delays Possible Until Sept. 9" (the '53
TT, simulated here, was staged on Sept. 5).

Anyone who's driven Mobil 1 Rally Championship will find the scenery familar
(and a stone delight with eDimensional 3D glasses), as will anyone who's
seen footage of the historic TT in "A Gentleman's Motorracing Diary" or the
Shell Oil racing films of the day. Pearson's graphics are spot on...and
beautimous.

Three drivers were killed in the '55 race, and the venue was abandoned for
4-wheelers as too dangerous (altho bikes continue to race there to this
day). Now, thanks to Jim Pearson, it lives again. His installation
includes a rip-snortin' 3:28.53 lap in a Brabham, and while I'm sure some
Alien can beat that, I can't...and neither could Stirling Moss, who put his
300SLR on the pole with a lugubrious 4:48 (that's FOUR-forty-eight) for its
last race.

Get Dundrod he

http://www.jrpearson.homestead.com/Dundrod.html

--Steve Smith

Old October 19th 04, 04:08 AM
JP

Steve Smith > wrote in message
> Dundrod - An Appreciation
>
> Wrong and wrong again! All the great GPL vintage tracks have NOT been
> released, as I so precipitously proclaimed in my 9/10 Appreciation of

Sergio
> Loro's Mellaha (Tripoli) and was subsequently forced to amend in my
> Appreciation of John Basara's Monza 10K on 9/27.
>
> Jim Pearson, he of the superb recreation of the fabled 198-turn, 15.4-mile
> Isle of Man circuit (7/12/03), has proved me wrong again with--what
> else?--an equally superb recreation of the only-slightly-less-stupendous
> Dundrod circuit, altho, strictly speaking, this long (7.4-mile) and

winding
> (36-turn) gambol thru Northern Ireland is not contemporaneous with the GPL
> era, having last been used for the 1955 running of the famous "TT"

(Tourist
> Trophy), which was won that year by a trio of Mercedes-Benz 300SLRs
> trouncing a field of Jaguar D-Types and Aston Martin DB3Ss.
>
> In point of fact, no single-seaters (except bikes) ever ran at Dundrod,

and
> given the "country lane" nature of the layout, a field of 3-liter '67 F1
> cars would likely all have ended up in the trees, fences, hedges and
> ditches.
>
> It is *very* narrow. As in real life, passing online or AI cars will be
> very difficult, but it is nonetheless (at least for the hot-lapper) a
> beautiful romp thru the countryside, which includes homey names like
> Flowbog, Rushyhill, and Tornagrough, and authentic-looking signage with
> warnings like "Slow! Wet Tar!" and "Delays Possible Until Sept. 9" (the

'53
> TT, simulated here, was staged on Sept. 5).
>
> Anyone who's driven Mobil 1 Rally Championship will find the scenery

familar
> (and a stone delight with eDimensional 3D glasses), as will anyone who's
> seen footage of the historic TT in "A Gentleman's Motorracing Diary" or

the
> Shell Oil racing films of the day. Pearson's graphics are spot on...and
> beautimous.
>
> Three drivers were killed in the '55 race, and the venue was abandoned for
> 4-wheelers as too dangerous (altho bikes continue to race there to this
> day). Now, thanks to Jim Pearson, it lives again. His installation
> includes a rip-snortin' 3:28.53 lap in a Brabham, and while I'm sure some
> Alien can beat that, I can't...and neither could Stirling Moss, who put

his
> 300SLR on the pole with a lugubrious 4:48 (that's FOUR-forty-eight) for

its
> last race.
>
> Get Dundrod he
>
> http://www.jrpearson.homestead.com/Dundrod.html
>
> --Steve Smith

yawn.

Old October 19th 04, 06:16 AM
Chad Rogers

Ahh don't listen to them Steve, I love the history lessons. Don't read it
if you don't want it, seems easy enough to me.

news

Old October 19th 04, 01:21 PM
Steve Smith

I don't. He's in my killfile.

Old October 19th 04, 10:43 PM
JP

Then I guess you won't see this either......sniff, sniff. How can I go on
?

Anyway Chad, after his making an ass of himself after the Pits track
release, and as usual, never admitting he was wrong, any time he posts more
of his " hey everyone look at me " crusade/diatribes, oh well.

Old October 20th 04, 05:02 AM
Ruud Dingemans

JP wrote:

> Anyway Chad, after his making an ass of himself after the Pits track
> release, and as usual, never admitting he was wrong, any time he posts more
> of his " hey everyone look at me " crusade/diatribes, oh well.

I think you got Steve all wrong JP - he is a genuine motorsports /
simracing enthousiast, and even if he would be off now and then (and
don't we all) he's far more into propagating "Good things" than himself.

Regards, Rudy
--------------------
GPLRank: -24
Old October 20th 04, 03:41 PM
JP

Ruud Dingemans > wrote in message
> JP wrote:
>
> > Anyway Chad, after his making an ass of himself after the Pits track
> > release, and as usual, never admitting he was wrong, any time he posts

more
> > of his " hey everyone look at me " crusade/diatribes, oh well.

> I think you got Steve all wrong JP - he is a genuine motorsports /
> simracing enthousiast, and even if he would be off now and then (and
> don't we all) he's far more into propagating "Good things" than himself.
>

> Regards, Rudy
> --------------------
> GPLRank: -24

k, thanks Rudy.

Old October 21st 04, 03:27 AM
Marc Collins

Who are you to "yawn" at anything, let alone this legitimate, interesting
topic?

Marc

news

Old October 21st 04, 04:18 AM
JP

<laughter>

Can you even see from that horse ?

I just hope someday I can be as worthy as yourself oh majestic one.

. ..

Old October 21st 04, 07:43 PM
Greg Campbell

JP wrote:

> Then I guess you won't see this either......sniff, sniff. How can I go on
> ?

Don't 'go on', just go away.

> Anyway Chad, after his making an ass of himself after the Pits track
> release, and as usual, never admitting he was wrong, any time he posts more
> of his " hey everyone look at me " crusade/diatribes, oh well.

Dude, you might try being decent to others for a change. As of now, you
really are a sad little puppy.

-Greg