Thinking about building a 4V....

Old August 21st 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Nay-Sayer

Default Thinking about building a 4V....

....to go into my 98 gt. I don't know much about engines so - besides
the heads, block, and intake - what will I need to complete a 4V? I
know that some parts will migrate from my existing 2V engine but need
to know what is needed in addition. Thanks

TNS

Old August 21st 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Nay-Sayer wrote:
> ...to go into my 98 gt. I don't know much about engines so - besides
> the heads, block, and intake - what will I need to complete a 4V? I
> know that some parts will migrate from my existing 2V engine but need
> to know what is needed in addition. Thanks
>
> TNS

Last year JEGS was listing a complete engine with trans. and wiring for
$6400
Don't know if they still have any, but would be a great starting point.

Old August 22nd 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Blue Mesteno[_1_]

"Nay-Sayer" > wrote
> ...to go into my 98 gt. I don't know much about engines so - besides
> the heads, block, and intake - what will I need to complete a 4V? I
> know that some parts will migrate from my existing 2V engine but need
> to know what is needed in addition. Thanks

Umm, you don't have a 2V engine. You have a fuel injected engine. 2V and4V
denotes the type of carb/intake setup. You don't have a carb so it doesn't
apply.
--
Scott W.
'68 Ranchero 500 302

Old August 22nd 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Warman

2V = 2 valve...... 3V = 3 valve and 4V = 4 valve... The classifications do
apply and we use them on a daily basis....

Example... the current popular gasoline engine for the pick ups is the
5.4-3V... the classification is given to differentiate it from the 5.4-2V
which, along with some obvious head and cam disparaties, does not share the
variable cam timing featured on it's technologically advanced cousin.. (or
the 5.4-4V that we never get the chance to road test...

Welcome to the 21st century... we hope you enjoy your visit...

Old August 23rd 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Blue Mesteno[_1_]

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> 2V = 2 valve...... 3V = 3 valve and 4V = 4 valve... The classifications do
> apply and we use them on a daily basis....
> Welcome to the 21st century... we hope you enjoy your visit...

Can we get a little sarcasm over here please? I'm running a bit short.

I know when I've seen the mod motors discussed, the word "valve" was used,
or the "V" was used in conjunction with the total number of valves in the
engine, not per cylinder. That is unless the person was speaking
specifically about how many valves per cylinder. I've NEVER heard anybody
call them 2V, 3V or 4V. Now 16, 24 or 32 I have heard.

2V and 4V is MOST commonly used when discussing the carb and intake. Seeing
as that style of engine has been around a helluva lot longer than the mod
motor.

Old August 23rd 06, 06:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Warman

Scott.. when discussing old technology, the 2V or 4V acronym was ascribed to
carburettor Venturis. A 2V carb would be a two barrel carb - A 4V car would
be a 4 barrel. In our brave, new world, it has come to describe valve
arrangements....

None of us has seen everything there is to see.... My 18 year old boy is
distressed because he is starting to relaize that he is just as "stupid" as
Dad is - hard to take after thinking that he knew everything simply because
he has wrenches and coveralls....

This old dinosaur learned on breaker point ignitions and still remembers how
to polarize a generator... there isn't a day goes by that I don't learn
something... If I find that day, it'll be time for me to lay down and let
the good Lord thank me for many years of mediocre service...

You are allowed to be ****ed at me for delivering a come-uppance in an
indelicate manner... ain't no big thing.... New discoveries are a stock in
trade in our shop.... What you need to do is learn from the experience and
realize that there are things that each and every of us DON'T know.... In
the long run, what we know is relatively unimportant.... realizing that
there are things we don't know an realizing what they are, is very
important.

I work in a Ford store... My battle cry "RTFM"....

Old August 23rd 06, 07:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Names Nobody

"Blue Mesteno" > wrote in message

> "Jim Warman" > wrote in message
>> 2V = 2 valve...... 3V = 3 valve and 4V = 4 valve... The classifications
>> do apply and we use them on a daily basis....
>> Welcome to the 21st century... we hope you enjoy your visit...

> Can we get a little sarcasm over here please? I'm running a bit short.
>
> I know when I've seen the mod motors discussed, the word "valve" was used,
> or the "V" was used in conjunction with the total number of valves in the
> engine, not per cylinder. That is unless the person was speaking
> specifically about how many valves per cylinder. I've NEVER heard anybody
> call them 2V, 3V or 4V. Now 16, 24 or 32 I have heard.
>
> 2V and 4V is MOST commonly used when discussing the carb and intake.
> Seeing as that style of engine has been around a helluva lot longer than
> the mod motor.
> --
> Scott W.
> '68 Ranchero 500 302
> '69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
> ThunderSnake #57
> http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/

Sarcasm or no, Jim is right about the current use of the terms 2V, 3V or 4V
referring to number of valves per cylinder, not the number of venturi in a
20 plus year obsolete carburetor.

As a matter of fact, I have never heard of the new 3 valve modular motors
referred to as anything else, certainly not 24 or 30 valve engines.

Old August 23rd 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Blue Mesteno wrote:

> 2V and 4V is MOST commonly used when discussing the carb and intake. Seeing
> as that style of engine has been around a helluva lot longer than the mod
> motor.

"For the 1912 event, Peugeot decided to field a new grand prix car of
7.6 liters designed by Ernest Henry, who had collaborated with Marc
Birkigt in the development of an Hispano Suiza for King Alfonso XIII.
The 4-cylinder Hispano engine featured twin overhead camshafts,
hemispheric combustion chambers and four valves per cylinder."
http://www.team.net/www/ktud/braden2.html

180 Out

Old August 23rd 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Blue Mesteno[_1_]

"Jim Warman" > wrote

I'm not ****ed. I was just surprised by the sarcastic whit.

Old August 23rd 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Blue Mesteno[_1_]

"My Names Nobody" > wrote
> Sarcasm or no, Jim is right about the current use of the terms 2V, 3V or
> 4V referring to number of valves per cylinder, not the number of venturi
> in a 20 plus year obsolete carburetor.

Obsolete? I'm not going there.
--
Scott W.
'68 Ranchero 500 302
'69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W
ThunderSnake #57
http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/

Thinking of selling my A4 [email protected][_1_] Audi 8 August 9th 06 05:56 AM
Thinking of getting a M3 CK BMW 3 April 25th 06 10:57 AM
Mitsubishi Montero - thinking of buying one. Is it reliable? fern 4x4 5 August 25th 04 11:00 AM
Building a rockcrawler from scratch Terra Guard Fabrications 4x4 0 December 21st 03 01:59 AM