How to select golf balls

Old February 8th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default How to select golf balls

Today's golf balls are the culmination of a variety of disciplines and
talents, from material science to physics. Since there are many kinds
of golfers, engineers have devised many kinds of golf balls. When
matched correctly to a golfer's game, specific golf balls can increase
enjoyment as well as chances for par. The technology of golf balls has
reached an unprecedented level, offering different covers, cores,
dimple patterns and compression to best suit golfers' varying needs.

1.Ball Types
Distance
A ball designed to react quickly off the clubface for maximum speed,
which results in overall distance.
Distance balls appeal to people who find every yard counts, but where
it may bring 15 more yards off the tee, it might also skip off the
putting surface like a flat rock on water.
Control
A ball designed to deter excessive spin, such as backspin (makes the
ball climb higher) or sidespin (hooks and slices).
Control balls help golfers fight hooking-and-slicing tendencies and
maneuver low shots on windy days.
Spin
A ball intended to create as much backspin as possible, which generally
leads to higher trajectory and better stopping ability on the ground.
Better amateurs and touring pros prefer balls that offer high spin.
These models may not be as long off the tee, but they make up for it in
superior control.

2.Construction
Overall Design
Two-piece balls:
Contain a large solid core and thin Surlyn cover
Enhance distance and durability
Offer more durability and improved playing characteristics
Three-piece balls:
Contain a small solid or liquid core
Usually have rubber windings, and cover elastic winding and soft balata
cover
Enhance backspin and control
Other:
Multi-layers provide a multi-purpose ball
Wound balls are made of thin, little rubber bands wound tightly into a
sphere
Core
Solid cores are usually made of a high-energy rubber or similar
compound
Liquid-filled cores offer less trajectory and great feel and can spin
for better accuracy
Titanium cores provide more reaction and greater distance
Cover
Determines feel on soft hits, like putts and chips
Blends co-polymer plastics, high-energy rubber, or similar resistant
compounds
Multi-cover layers material over the core to induce different playing
Surlyn balls travel farther with less spin
Balata-covered balls are softer and offer more enhanced feel, although
they don't resist scrapes and cuts well
Dimples
Vary between 300 and 500
Affects the aerodynamics for more or less trajectory
Larger dimples promote trajectory
Smaller dimples lessen trajectory
Compression
Sorts golf balls by their hardness
If you prefer a softer feel, you should play a 90 compression ball, and
if you prefer a harder feel, you should play 100
Swing speed is not necessarily the determining factor in selecting your
compression

3.Playing Level
When thinking about which ball will help you achieve par, it's best to
imagine a good-sized par-4.
If getting an extra 15 yards off the tee would help you hit shorter
irons on approach shots to green, then maybe a distance ball will help.

Most people feel that high-spin balls appeal only to pros that need
precision on iron shots. But a senior or woman who has trouble reaching
a par-4 in two shots will appreciate the control offered by a
performance ball after the 3rd shot.
Some balls are designed for slower swing speeds with a lightweight
construction that catches air. They are generally marketed for women or
seniors, but don't let labels fool you. Plenty of men play these balls
because, for them, it yields the most distance.

http://www.seegoul.com/home3bg.php

Old February 8th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Personally, I agree with Mark Twain, who said that all golf does is ruin a
perfectly good walk.

Old February 8th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

A5 Golfs are better than the previous years!

oups.com...

Old February 11th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Reminds me of the guy who posted to a VW newsgroup a couple years ago
looking to sell bunny rabbits -- you know, the animals with the long
ears and fuzzy tails. /shakes head