3 strikes your............OUT

Old September 6th 05, 04:53 AM
TimY

Default 3 strikes your............OUT

I don't know about you guys,but I would put
6 as the bare minimum of windows reinstalls
I do a year,whether due to massive hardware changes
or a bunged up OS,or whatever.
Maybe I missed the small print,but from what I
understand you are allowed 3 reinstalls of rfactor,
at which point there is a charge to do it again.
I have a closet full of skeltons going back 15
years,and I can reskin any of them, anytime.
All that said,I am more than willing to pay for the
game,but not have it married to my OS.

Actually I already plonked down my money
but there confirmation email gives you 48 hours
to apply for a refund(done)
It only takes a second to take you money but 21 days to give it back.
Its not the game developers that ****ed me off,but the deal the put together
with trymedia.
Here is the text of there confirmation email.

Tim Y

Thank you for your purchase of rFactor.
You have purchased an *electronic* copy and now have FULL access
to the product. No CD-ROM will be shipped since it is not required.

The license you have purchased is only valid for your computer. In the
event of a license loss, a change in your computer's configuration or if
you wish to install the software on additional computers, you will have
to RENEW your license by providing us with your:

ACTIVATION CODE: ##&^&*^((^%*I%&^$$%&^(

You have the right to acquire 3 RENEWALS without charge.

To renew your license, simply you must reinstall the original program
you were using. You can always get a free download he
http://d.trymedia.com/d/imagespace/b...actorSetup.exe

Your purchase information appears below.
Order No: Date: 2005/09/04 15:03:06

Charged To: Tim Y

--, CA

Description Price
------------------------------------------------- --------------------------
rFactor CA $47.99

SUBTOTAL CA $47.99
TAX CA $0.00

TOTAL CHARGED CA $47.99

CUSTOMER SUPPORT:
For questions and help, visit our online Customer Support Center:
http://csc.trymedia.com/csc/start/in...t_tbyb&lang=en

48-HOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE:
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If we are unable to resolve a problem
or if you are not completely satisfied with your product, we are pleased to
provide you with a refund if your request is received within 48 hours of
purchase. To request a refund, visit our Customer Support Center.

Old September 6th 05, 04:55 AM
Mitch_A

No charge, just use up the three then they will give you three more and on
and on.

Mitch

Old September 6th 05, 11:39 AM
Darus

It's YOUR computer, and you do what you want with it, but 6 reinstalls
a year? How can someone screw up an OS install and the associated
proggies that often in so little time? Every 2 months on average?
C'mon....

If you're doing that many, perhaps a drive image program would be a
better purchase than rFactor.

Don't get me wrong, a good cleansing of the HD is a GOOD thing, IMO and
I do it as well. But only after 12-15 months if use, if I'd have to
guess.

It does sound like they give you3 reinstalls on the original code and
then you ask for more, similar to WindowsXP if your hardware changes
significantly enough to confuse the authentification software.

Old September 6th 05, 01:58 PM
Scoob Droolins

you may re-install as many times as you wish, without using up any
additional unlock codes. if your hw configuration changes
significantly, you may be asked to use up a new code. if you use them
all, you can get more no problem. it is also documented in some rsc
threads which files need to be saved so that you can re-format your hd,
and reinstall rfactor without using any additional keys. if you're
still not comfortable with this policy, you can get a refund. tell me
about all the other games you've bought which offered a money-back
guarantee?

Old September 6th 05, 02:47 PM
Peter

2005-09-06, Scoob Droolins wrote:
> you may re-install as many times as you wish, without using up any
> additional unlock codes. if your hw configuration changes
> significantly, you may be asked to use up a new code. if you use them

I only got one to start with...

> all, you can get more no problem.

...."the cheque is in the mail..."

> it is also documented in some rsc
> threads which files need to be saved so that you can re-format your hd,
> and reinstall rfactor without using any additional keys. if you're
> still not comfortable with this policy, you can get a refund. tell me
> about all the other games you've bought which offered a money-back
> guarantee?

The list is too long,
-peter

Old September 6th 05, 04:45 PM
TimY

>It's YOUR computer, and you do what you want with it, but 6 reinstalls
>a year? How can someone screw up an OS install and the associated
>proggies that often in so little time? Every 2 months on average?
>C'mon....

I don't remember asking advice on how often I should
change my OS.Did you ever think that I was exaggerating to drive
home the 3 strikes rule?

>you may re-install as many times as you wish, without using up any
>additional unlock codes. if your hw configuration changes
>significantly, you may be asked to use up a new code. if you use them
>all, you can get more no problem. it is also documented in some rsc
>threads which files need to be saved so that you can re-format your hd,
>and reinstall rfactor without using any additional keys. if you're
>still not comfortable with this policy, you can get a refund. tell me
>about all the other games you've bought which offered a money-back
>guarantee?"

What was I thinking,I should have scouered the forums rather than
rely on the vender themselfes to give me the proper information.
As far as money back guarantees go,it has no bearing on the 3
strike rule.

Tim Y

Old September 6th 05, 04:57 PM
Steve Whitty

"TimY" > wrote in message
> >It's YOUR computer, and you do what you want with it, but 6 reinstalls
>>a year? How can someone screw up an OS install and the associated
>>proggies that often in so little time? Every 2 months on average?
>>C'mon....

> I don't remember asking advice on how often I should
> change my OS.Did you ever think that I was exaggerating to drive
> home the 3 strikes rule?
>

>>you may re-install as many times as you wish, without using up any
>>additional unlock codes. if your hw configuration changes
>>significantly, you may be asked to use up a new code. if you use them
>>all, you can get more no problem. it is also documented in some rsc
>>threads which files need to be saved so that you can re-format your hd,
>>and reinstall rfactor without using any additional keys. if you're
>>still not comfortable with this policy, you can get a refund. tell me
>>about all the other games you've bought which offered a money-back
>>guarantee?"

> What was I thinking,I should have scouered the forums rather than
> rely on the vender themselfes to give me the proper information.
> As far as money back guarantees go,it has no bearing on the 3
> strike rule.
>
> Tim Y

but there is no 3 stikes rule. Its not much different to lfs. they allot
you X amount of keys for the month, then automatically start you from 1 at
the end of the month. all rFactor is doing, is that you have to send an
email to get 3 more. if you regularly reformat the hdd, and know you've
used your 3 keys, email ahead of time. (the forums at rsc will tell you
where to send the email) very simple process and painless.

cheers
steve

Old September 6th 05, 07:27 PM
Darus

Well, ****stick, I didn't offer any advice on how often to change your
OS. I mentioned how often "I" do it and expressed my doubts about the
actual need to reinstall an OS that many times. Perhaps instead of
rFactor or the ghosting program, a reading comprehension class might be
in order. Your post of: "I don't know about you guys,but I would put 6
as the bare minimum of windows reinstalls I do a year" certainly
doesn't indicated in ANY way that you exaggerated. That's what the
English speaking world refers to as a statement. Ppl. tend to accept
statements on their own merit, at least until someone or something
contradicts it. Or until some stupid mute decides that they
"exaggerated" the statement. Oh, sorry....I didn't mean <YOU>....I
was.....exaggerating.

Old September 6th 05, 08:25 PM
TimY

No need to resort to name calling.

"Ppl. tend to accept
statements on their own merit"

You mean Like this one:

"You have the right to acquire 3 RENEWALS without charge"

which is the heart of the post.

Tim Y aka ****stick

oups.com...

Old September 7th 05, 07:44 PM
Larry

If you are in the IT industry and have to do a lot of experimenting, 6
reinstalls a year might not be squat.

-Larry

oups.com...