Ford F150 Power steering unit leak

Old June 14th 05, 12:15 AM
bingolov

Default Ford F150 Power steering unit leak

My 1990 ford f150 4x4 6 cylinder PS unit has been leaking fluid for some
time. I treated it with the stop leak and that seemed to work for a time
but recently it seems to be leaking somewhat again. Im definately no
mechanic but try to do things I can if I believe its possible. It seems to
come from that pivot arm area. Is this most likely some kind of seal that
would not be too complicated to repair on my own or is this a job
requiring special tools, etc? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I
have a repair manual and plan on checking it but theres no substitute for
asking someone who has the experience. Thanks, Dave

Old June 14th 05, 02:43 PM
Peter D. Hipson

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:15:45 -0400, "bingolov" >
wrote:

>My 1990 ford f150 4x4 6 cylinder PS unit has been leaking fluid for some
>time. I treated it with the stop leak and that seemed to work for a time
>but recently it seems to be leaking somewhat again. Im definately no
>mechanic but try to do things I can if I believe its possible. It seems to
>come from that pivot arm area. Is this most likely some kind of seal that
>would not be too complicated to repair on my own or is this a job
>requiring special tools, etc? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I
>have a repair manual and plan on checking it but theres no substitute for
>asking someone who has the experience. Thanks, Dave

Are you filling it with power steering fluid, or ATF? If ATF, flush it
out and use power steering fluid--it tends to leak *much* less. I've
seen systems that would leak out all the fluid in a few days, replace
with PS fluid and they never leaked since. (Really!)

Now, the real question is where is it leaking? In northern climates
the leaks tend to be caused by moisture/salt wicking past the seal,
and rusting the shaft. THat then destroys the seal more, and more
leaks past, and... You get the picture... Sometiems the shaft can be
resurfaced but it is usually easier to replace them (the box).

Old June 15th 05, 03:54 AM

try a cap full of brake fluid, it will swell the seals up. most of the
time it will work