Well Thought Out Review/Complaint of NSR

Old February 22nd 05, 06:13 PM
Darus

Default Well Thought Out Review/Complaint of NSR

Posted by "Mr. Nobody" at the OLR Forum. Direct link:
http://www.onlineracin.com/forum/tm.asp?m=41533

"I would like to start by saying I truly enjoy the way the car drives.
The movement of the cockpit (Head movement on 100%) is incredible. You
truly feel the car. There are some things I seen running a league that
must be addressed:

A. Cheating is worse right now on NSR than one could have ever
imagined.
1.-Why Do you allow those who edit the physics to still join the
server?
-So far I have been able to race online in servers after I modified by
Ristrictor plate file.
-So far I have been able to race online after altering my car heighth.
-Vote feature you have now for this is very ineffective. You telling me
if I run a Dedicated server and once we have the option to boot people.
It takes a vote to get cheaters out of servers if an Admin is not there
to personalyy boot them. How is that focused on the online community?

2. RAM CHEAT WORKS JUST FINE IN NSR.
-This is a crazy cheat to be allowed to get into the retail version
after it is so widely known.
-Works identical to the problem that was in NR03.

B. Online Racing is a Mess. 1. Could You Please Actually Enforce The
Nextel Cup Rules
-It is crazy, No Merge BF..
-Yellows come out and it is a Mess. Yellows in NSR are horrendous. Not
handled correctly.
-In some Races on My server & Others their was NO BF for speeding on
Pit Road during Race. I mean 20 to 30 MPH above limit.

2. NO Control for Server Admins.
-Cannot Boot People.
-Cannot give people BF for anything. (Speeding, Merging, Ect..)
-Cannot Set Timer so server will go from Practice, Qual, Race.

3. Netcode is Poor.
-People (All on BroadBand) in the turns are warping all over. This is
with only 8 to 10 racers. This Happens on almost all servers in turns.
- People Join a Race, everyone warps. (Server Pause)
*I have no idea how James Hawkins, lead developer in video, would claim
this sim is focused for online Play.

4. Track Lengths are Inaccurate.
-That is why many of us are beating actual Nextel Cup Records with
default Setups. Bristol, Pheonix, and many others are not to scale in
terms on the tracks length. Half mile is a Half Mile. a Track .533 is
..533, NOT .503 in distance. This is why our times seem so fast. the
tracks are not replicated in distance correctly.

5. Car Models.....
-What can be said after 18 months of developement. No One watched an
actual race? Did they watch the race Sunday? Why are the cars in NSR
narrow and tall, yet it does not take 18 months of developement to
watch 1 race and see Nextel Cup cars are wide (Compared to those in
NSR) and not near as tall (Compared to NSR). This seems basic need for
the immersion factor.

6. Grip/Ability to slam into others online is way to High.
-No way at Daytona should I be able to nail a guy in the bumper as he
merges out of pits, and just have his car push forward a bit. We should
wreck. No Way I can slam into someone in the side and bumper mid-turn
doing 180+ and not have his car move.
-That's not racing, that is just bumper cars with Nascar Logo's.
-Look at Saturday's and Sundays race or even the Twin 150's. You bump
someone to hard they are going around, and/or getting loose and
squirley (JG & Jimmie in 150's are perfect example.) There is NO fear
of this in NSR. You can blast someone and little happens. Fun for the
masses, but to advertise this as a sim it does nothing for realism.

7. Rear View Mirror detail Needs Fixed.
- I know you can edit the plr files to improved the shape and Draw
Distance.
- How about allowing FULL detail in Mirror.
-Part of the immersion is feeling I am in a car. Thus, when I look in
my mirror how about seeing the fence, and other details so I feel I am
in a car.
-How about allowing when A car comes up behind allow for it to look
realitsic with a shadow and in full detail.

8. Car Shadows & Reflections.
- The shadows and reflections just do not appear realistic. Load up
NR03 or even Heat. At least the reflections and shadows appear to make
the cars look real. Best I can describe this item.

Now this game was touted as the most realistic Sim ever created. This
was said by James Hawkins himself, and promoted by EA. Also, James
Hawkins said this game was focused for the sim crowd and online
community. I have no idea if 18 months this was the only project or
that is a promotional idea, but allowing people to even join a server
who have altered their HD files (Physics files) seems little thought
was put into the online aspect of this game.

Love the way the car feels. have No idea what is and is not realistic
in terms of physics, but I like the feel. But NO Way will this sim will
be able to be used for Leagues or even good pick up racing. I sure hope
someone at EA either decides to focus on a sim if they are going to
promote it as a sim. Or next time they take the Hasbro (Heat) approach,
and be honest about what we are getting.

I have no idea if these items can be patched. But you want constructive
criticism, so that is the best I can put it. 18 months with the focus
for online play just seems more like hype right now than reality.
:Shrug: "

Old February 22nd 05, 06:38 PM
Larry

I got IE ActiveX Security/blockage warnings when I went to this page...

-Larry

oups.com...

Old February 22nd 05, 06:50 PM
Darus

Hmmm....

Here's the basic link to the forums:

http://www.onlineracin.com/forum/

It's the thread titled "If EA or Beta Testers read these Boards. Patch
Items Neeeded:"

Old February 22nd 05, 07:00 PM
Plowboy

Yeah larry the site uses cookies to allow posters who register at olr, keeps
track or read groups for me, and knows who I am when I get here... what
else is banging your IE I dont know, have them on my trusted site list,
LOL...

Larry enlightened us with:

Old February 22nd 05, 07:07 PM
JD

works find for me.

Old February 22nd 05, 07:08 PM
JD

that should be "fine"...(smile)

Old February 22nd 05, 07:10 PM
JD

I mean the link, not the game.

Old February 22nd 05, 08:53 PM
Bob V

Excellent evaluation by Mr. Nobody. I have experienced some of the same
things he's talking about online. Regarding the physics, just as a test, go
to Michigan and run the default race setup with no aids. Now loosen the car
up by moving weight back, negative wedge and increasing track bar split. If
you break loose in the turns, just enable steering help and/or stab control.
Then throw the car into the turns so that you're dirt-tracking, and watch
your times decrease. Should easily be in the 36 sec range.

Do the same thing at Bristol. Should easily be in the 14 sec range. In
fact if you wall ride, you can even get close to sub 14's (14.2, my best
without trying too hard)

I definitely think there's cheating going on. I tried only joining servers
where all aids were disabled, and there were still cars dirt tracking
through the turns running some extremely fast laps, and not suffering any
apparent damage after creaming me into the wall.

I was an early supporter of EA's effort with this sim, after all it's our
future for a Nascar sim, but I'm getting very disappointed. There's just so
much that needs to be fixed, I just can't see how a patch or two is going to
take care of it.

I just hope not too many league administrators have made the decision to
switch to NSR. It clearly is not ready for prime time yet.

oups.com...
:

Old February 22nd 05, 09:25 PM
DJRJR

Another rushed out the door product by EA. Maybe they need to work their
programmers harder.. lol!

Old February 22nd 05, 10:30 PM
Plowboy

I do want to say I could not agree more with his pointing out about the
failure to check car- physics or track- physics for changed settings for
each
and any user joining the server, this was stoopid by EA, no matter how you
look at it. Match the server or get booted, no excuses IMHO.

but about the mirrors and "immersion" Puh-Leeze, now Im not saying MR Nobody
even asked this necessarily, but too many times I have already read this
typed in the same vane....

() Posted by "Mr. Nobody" at the OLR Forum. ()

>> 7. Rear View Mirror detail Needs Fixed.
>> - How about allowing FULL detail in Mirror.

() I snipped a bit much here...

I would think, most in simulator vane, use the mirror as a tool. in as much
as I need to know where the online_opponent/AI car is in relationship to me,
that is all. To me it would be a friggin Waste of a bunch of CPU & GFX
cycles to do more than this heck I dont stare at the mirror. I do like to
see the groove though, maybe this is what he mant? anyway full detail?
what the ? not on my machine...

then these people bandwaggin'n (spelled that way on purpose, like wag
the dog) that folow his post with "hell yah" in the next post (if this were
true) will say:
CRAP!!! I only get 14 fps,
I cant see over the friggin spoiler, so they remove the car,
mirror shake is too hard to see, so they remove it...

On and ON and On... well is it imersion, or being friggin picky as h3ll?
Like another post on OLR stated, too many "young-uns" don't appreciate nor
remember wireframes nor appreciate what it takes to produce what we do
have...

There is a small battlefield forming on the territory of how high do you set
the minimum requirements, the kids with just_bought_last_month_ new_ 30ghz_
machines are posting on this tone:
Bring it on, I get 321 FPS with everything on maxed out 13,000 x 60,000, I
wanna see the beer the blonde in row 32 section 42 is drinking nex
time!!!... good for you, but why are you friggin riding the wall, or parked
in turn3, pullin out the pits into traffic, or wrecking everyone like a gd
clown?!?!?!?!

just like I read like (she-it I dunno, enough to make me think this was a
real problem) ??# number of posts that stated to the effect:
"I cant hear the spotter, crew-chief,
the engine is too loud,
the effects are too loud or soft..."
and then usually about 4 or 5 AMENs to follow,

but in the options there were like 7 sliders for volume, from engines, sound
efects, spotter, crewchief... and of course (I have to say, what the hell?
sliders for announcer? and music? in a sim?) Cmon, least it was somewhat
adjustable.

then another post about not knowing on track intervals... hell I found it by
accident 1st thing online... maybe it doesnt work offline so they didnt
try?

>> - I know you can edit the plr files to improved the shape and Draw
>> Distance.

Another thing, it takes time to get things up to snuff, I think we're damm
lucky there is "wiggle-room" in these settings so easily (editing the .plr
file with notepad for crying out loud, it is easy if you can read) because
AFIAK many games do this or if it aint in the game, it aint in the friggin
game... case in point NR1 & 2. I know there are others, hate to pick papy
for all of them but that is about all the games I ever bought. Anyway for
example they both had shortcommings, both had "hacks" that 'people in the
know' knew, that many never admitted to until even just recently. BTW I
remember now, after talkning to my buddy, that I had to buy the game 2
times, with NR1, 1st the 4 or five disk version then after that the CD
version came out and if your PC had the power (and more impoartantly you
were savvy enough to know the tweaks) gave you lots more details and fluff
stuff...

well, I defintily changed my tune, as I typed this, it aint all bad, nor
gravy... with my older system the game ran pretty well I think! I know
your milage varies...

OK Tetz... sigh.