Haha, check this out.

Old December 16th 04, 08:00 AM
Mark

Default Haha, check this out.

I'm doing a rear disk brake mod in my '87 using the discontinued M-2300-C.
I'm planning on selling it and since I had the kit a friend at work gave me
free I decided to install it when I did my front brake job. Kind of a pain
in the butt compared to older mustangs. Mix and match metric/standard,
tighter spaces, etc. The next day I had one more double flare to make in one
of the brake lines (had to install a standard thread tube nut) when I found
my new flaring toolkits 3/16 adapter pin was broken off and nowhere to be
found. Suspecting it may have come off inside the last line I reflared, I
removed the line (fortunately a short line to the left front brake) lo and
behold it was there. That may have caused a few problems, eh? The other
night when I returned home from a parts run, I noticed my '71 f-100 390FE
had a little steam venting through the overflow. I figured I'd check it out
in the morning. This morning I checked the water level (low) and fan clutch
(loose) and figured it must have been the 150 mile round trip I did the
other day to pick up a 200 I6 a fellow was getting rid of. The truck always
ran good except for an annoying little exhaust leak I intended to fix when I
got a new exhaust system installed with flowmasters. A little something to
compliment my 4bbl. swap. I filled it up and went to the store to get a new
3/16 adapter was told another store 10 miles away had a replacement
otherwise I'd have to wait another day for them to order it. On the way to
the next store I stopped at the parts store to buy a new thermostatic fan
clutch and a 4 core radiator to replace my old leaky 3 core. I pick up my
new adapter out of another kit they have drive home and park. When I parked
in the driveway I hear a hissing, Suspecting it may be a large radiator leak
I opened the hood to discover steam coming from the valva cover vent, Doh! I
pulled the dipstick, it was covered in baby shiite brown. Double-Doh! I
quickly pulled off the valve cover to find out where exactly it was leaking
from, found more baby brown and it coming out of the lifter valley adjacent
to #5 cylinder. so I'm thinking blown head gasket, or, gulp, cracked head.
There was a couple of times recently I was merging onto the freeway and had
to step on it so that probably's what caused it. Frortunatly I get the
mustang done, bled, cleaned up and barring no leaks when I inspect it
tomorrow (so far so good), I'll have transportation while I pull the 390 out
of the p/u and rebuild it. I need to pick up the new radiator in the morning
for the truck to compliment my nicely freshened up 390 when it's done. Oh
well, another project.

Old December 16th 04, 08:04 AM
Mark

P.S. I take a closer look at my flaring tool kit and discover it had another
3/16 adapter instead of a 5/16, arrrge.

Old December 16th 04, 08:11 AM
Mark

Oh, also, I was contemplating replacing the flywheel because of a few
annoying
chipped teeth that caused an embarrassing grinding on an occasional startup.
Guess I wont have to pull the tranny after all.

Old December 19th 04, 03:46 PM
JS

Sounds like you were having a rough day... lol...

Hope the rest of the repairs went better...

JS

Old December 19th 04, 10:29 PM
Mark

Yea, mustang works good. I almost have the motor out of my truck. Been
taking my time.