Car buying agencies

Old April 2nd 07, 10:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
davea

Default Car buying agencies

Hi folks

I've got my Honda Integra up for sale in magazines and web sites,
don't worry I'm not goin to try and get a free ad on this group! I do
have a big gripe though. I keep getting phone calls from these
agencies who say they have buyers lined up to buy my car but before
they give you their details you have to pay them a fee first, usually
about £90! Despite my polite replies of no thank you I'm not
interested, they still persist on calling almost daily. Getting to the
point of phone rage now! I just had a guy on saying he was the
director of the agency and that he owns a £108,000 car and that I have
made a big mistake by advertising the car the way I have. He said no
one reads the car magazines or web sites anymore and that his way is
the way that everyone will be using to buy cars! I was apparently
living in the past! He offered me £1000 more that what I have the car
advertised at and said I have under priced it. Rubbish!
Oh he also said he has a Judge as one of his customers who is using
them to find him a Jensen interceptor!?! What difference does that
make to me, true or not!

The guy was extremely forward and getting to the point of being
aggressive on the phone. I ended up having to say "look I have said no
twice already..." and he hung up.

Has anyone actually used these agencies before either to buy or sell
your car? Most say they are all a scam and that once they have your
£90 or whatever you won't hear from them again. I'm not going to use
them, not after that phone call but interested to hear other peoples
experiences with them.

Old April 2nd 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Matt Ion

davea wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I've got my Honda Integra up for sale in magazines and web sites,
> don't worry I'm not goin to try and get a free ad on this group! I do
> have a big gripe though. I keep getting phone calls from these
> agencies who say they have buyers lined up to buy my car but before
> they give you their details you have to pay them a fee first, usually
> about £90! Despite my polite replies of no thank you I'm not
> interested, they still persist on calling almost daily. Getting to the
> point of phone rage now! I just had a guy on saying he was the
> director of the agency and that he owns a £108,000 car and that I have
> made a big mistake by advertising the car the way I have. He said no
> one reads the car magazines or web sites anymore and that his way is
> the way that everyone will be using to buy cars! I was apparently
> living in the past! He offered me £1000 more that what I have the car
> advertised at and said I have under priced it. Rubbish!
> Oh he also said he has a Judge as one of his customers who is using
> them to find him a Jensen interceptor!?! What difference does that
> make to me, true or not!
>
> The guy was extremely forward and getting to the point of being
> aggressive on the phone. I ended up having to say "look I have said no
> twice already..." and he hung up.
>
> Has anyone actually used these agencies before either to buy or sell
> your car? Most say they are all a scam and that once they have your
> £90 or whatever you won't hear from them again. I'm not going to use
> them, not after that phone call but interested to hear other peoples
> experiences with them.

If buddy wanted to give you £1000 more than you were asking, maybe you should
have just taken it? Tell him to just deduct his £90 off the top.

I dunno, this is probably why a lot of "private" for-sale ads I see actually
specify, "NO AGENTS".
Old April 2nd 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
davea

Yeah I know, I wish I had left space on the advert for "no agencies"
now!.

It was tempting for about 5 seconds until he said he must have my
credit card details now before anything goes ahead. The fact that he
got agressive and hung up abruptly confirmed to me they were not
legit.

Old April 2nd 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Art[_1_]

The only good thing George Bush has done in the US was to sign a do not call
law which created a sign up list for anyone who did not want to receive
unsolicited commercial phone calls. You should lobby your government for a
similar law.

oups.com...

Old April 2nd 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Chris Dugan

"davea" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Yeah I know, I wish I had left space on the advert for "no agencies"
> now!.
>
> It was tempting for about 5 seconds until he said he must have my
> credit card details now before anything goes ahead. The fact that he
> got agressive and hung up abruptly confirmed to me they were not
> legit.

I usually turn the tables on them and say... OK you put me in touch with the
buyers and if the deal goes ahead THEN I will pay your fee. That puts them
on the back foot!

When I had my last car up for sale I put in a line saying "no companies
offering to sell the car for me" and only one phoned me, all I said to
them was "Do you not understand English? Read the last line of my advert
again" and then I hung up on the guy.

Chris

Car buying agencies davea Ford Mustang 7 April 4th 07 02:21 AM
Car buying agencies davea Alfa Romeo 1 April 2nd 07 08:47 PM
Buying an E46 M3 sgfan3 BMW 11 November 9th 05 05:00 PM
Buying used GTI iago_sucks VW water cooled 12 December 3rd 04 04:19 PM
buying a Saturn-like buying a lottery ticket misterfact Saturn 3 July 2nd 04 10:02 PM