Protect Your CR-V's Spare!

Old April 2nd 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Scott

Default Protect Your CR-V's Spare!

Hello Honda enthusiasts! I just wanted to take a moment to let fellow
CR-V owners know about an especially maddening rash of
automobile-related thefts that have been going on in my area, and which
may soon spread to other regions ... if it hasn't already!

I live in suburban Buffalo, New York (U.S.A.), and for the past five
or six months there's been a huge escalation in the theft of spare tires
from vehicles that have them attached to the rear door. Honda CR-V
(prior to the redesign, of course) and Toyota RAV4 models have been
particularly hard-hit by thieves, but they're not terribly fussy!
They've also hit other such SUVs like Toyota FJ Cruisers, Suzuki XL-7s,
Hyundai Santa Fe's, Kia Sportages, Hummers, and various Jeep and Land
Rover models. They've also hit older vehicles like Isuzu Amigos, Nissan
Xterras and Chevy Blazers, so be forewarned!

The thefts have occurred both in the dead-of-night and in broad
daylight, and the thieves have even gone so far as to completely rip off
the frames and/or swing-arms holding the spare tires on vehicles
equipped with them. They're hitting tires mounted on steel wheels as
well as stylized aluminum wheels, so it would seem that nobody's safe!

Naturally, the authorities recommend putting high-quality wheel locks
on the spare tires, which is what I immediately did on my '05 CR-V SE
once news of the thefts started to become more widely reported locally.
So far, so good!

So, keep an eye on your CR-Vs and protect your investment; sixty-five
bucks to save five hundred makes economic sense to me, but I just
thought I'd spread the word to anyone willing to listen.

Happy Motoring!