hello again

Old February 15th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
John in Vegas

Default hello again

I am trying to reset my puter (again!) Been having problems trying to
get on again. My point is, I cant get anything before today and forgive
me if I sound redundant.
Anything new?

Old February 15th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

Is this the same John that we knew in a former life as White Trash?

Old February 16th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

John in Vegas wrote:
> I am trying to reset my puter (again!) Been having problems trying to
> get on again. My point is, I cant get anything before today and forgive
> me if I sound redundant.
> Anything new?

Hey John, what's new? How's the newest Jeep going?

Not much going on around here... Got a little snow, didn't even need
4x4 to chew out through the driveway snowbank...

I was up North in Ontario Canada to a cottage on a lake a couple
weekends ago in the old Cherokee and it was 4x4 for several hours each
way on the highway.

Nasty Nasty Whiteouts coming back, We got 'stuck' in a line going 30
mph behind a row of plows in the worst of the whiteouts with 8" fresh
down so that worked out just great. Slow and steady wins the race, no
accidents.

Driving a 4x4 is a learning experience. They handle like no other
vehicle when in 'part time' 4x4.

To stop when in part time 4x4, my owners manual says to 'stay off the
brakes' and to use the gears and steering for slowing down or avoiding
something. I have found that my Jeeps will stop amazingly fast like
that and practice it off road all the time. Just need the brakes for
the final stop. Folks are always told to stay off the brakes and use
the gears when in PT 4x4 off road. Same deal when in PT 4x4 on road in
a snowstorm!

The problem with using the brakes is the front and rear axles are locked
together. In a normal 2 wheel drive vehicle when you hit the brakes in
snow, the steering usually just locks up so you track straight ahead.
Jeeps and most SUV's have a combination or proportioning valve that is
supposed to prevent rear wheel lock up to avoid the vehicle swapping
ends for this.

However when you are in part time 4x4, when the front wheels lock up...
so do the rear wheels because of the nature of the locked center
differential.

This means a Jeep or any vehicle in part time 4x4 will slide sideways
faster than you can blink with all 4 wheels locked up. Instant off the
high side of the curve ditch fodder.

I highly recommend folks use their 'shift on the fly' at any legal speed
feature of the 4x4 so they get used to treating it 'just like any other
shift'. See snow coming, shift into 4x4, see clear coming shift back to
2 WD. This way in an emergency, shifting into or out of 4x4 comes naturally.

I find 2 WD better when doing left turn at snowy or slushy
intersections. I use 2WD then as I come out of the turn, I hit 4x4 to
pull me into the straight. I find this because when turning in PT 4x4
one wheel has to scuff the ground because the front wheels and rear
travel different distances around a corner. When this happens, the
front wheels tend to get up on top of the snow and the Jeep just wants
to go straight around the long corner unless you goose it to grab which
isn't always a good thing to do.

I highly recommend an empty parking lot or open trail come first snow to
find out just how your 4x4 does handle.

On our last New Years trip last year it was insane the number of SUV's
that passed me in a snowstorm on the highway only to be found in the
ditch off the top side of a corner aways along. I think we counted 8 in
about a hundred miles. I was doing a nice 55-60 mph in 4x4 part time or
keeping with the transport truck's speed.

Then if you see 'all' the transport trucks parked at the truck stops,
it's time to rethink the timing of the trip and maybe stop for a break
too.....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 16th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Mike Romain wrote:
> John in Vegas wrote:
>> I am trying to reset my puter (again!) Been having problems trying to
>> get on again. My point is, I cant get anything before today and forgive
>> me if I sound redundant.
>> Anything new?
>>

> Hey John, what's new? How's the newest Jeep going?

whoops, that was a reply to something else about winter driving that got
tagged on there instead of my sig line.

Mike
Old February 16th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

It was nice to know you weren't part of that stuck line fifty miles long.
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/

g.com...

Old February 16th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jbjeep

Howdy, howdy, good to hear from you!
-jenn

Old February 16th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
John in Vegas

bizbee wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 20:58:42 -0800 in >,
> John in Vegas > graced the world with this thought:
>
> check groups.google.com and use the name of this group as a parameter

Unless they have changed the google groups, I don't like them. Im using
netscape and started to get the posts after the one I posted, so I should be
ok now.

Jeff, its me, minus White Trash.
Right now, I have a 99 TJ (I had it the last time I got on here) Its all
stock except it has an Atlas II, 4:88s and f/r lockers and 33s. Something is
bent in the suspension, it keeps on eating the control arm bushings. Im
going to put a long arm kit on it to eliminate the existing mounting points,
if I ever save up enough $$.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...p/50217001.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...p/50306007.jpg

Lately, I have been going motorcycle riding. I have an 06 WR450, which I
made platable, so I don't have to tow it to the trails.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...p/wr450001.jpg

I am going to try to stop in here more often, and try to get the JEEP going
again.

John in Vegas