Thinking about building a 4V....

Old August 23rd 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Blue Mesteno[_1_]

Default Thinking about building a 4V....

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Blue Mesteno wrote:
>
>> 2V and 4V is MOST commonly used when discussing the carb and intake.
>> Seeing
>> as that style of engine has been around a helluva lot longer than the mod
>> motor.

> "For the 1912 event, Peugeot decided to field a new grand prix car of
> 7.6 liters designed by Ernest Henry, who had collaborated with Marc
> Birkigt in the development of an Hispano Suiza for King Alfonso XIII.
> The 4-cylinder Hispano engine featured twin overhead camshafts,
> hemispheric combustion chambers and four valves per cylinder."
> http://www.team.net/www/ktud/braden2.html

One car, way back in 1912? Besides I was talking about carbs, I'm pretty
sure EFI wasn't invented yet in 1912.
--
Scott W.
'68 Ranchero 500 302

Old August 23rd 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Names Nobody

"Blue Mesteno" > wrote in message
. ..

> "My Names Nobody" > wrote
>> Sarcasm or no, Jim is right about the current use of the terms 2V, 3V or
>> 4V referring to number of valves per cylinder, not the number of venturi
>> in a 20 plus year obsolete carburetor.

> Obsolete? I'm not going there.

Fine then, Scott, remain thick as a brick, your call...
You can take your fingers out of your ears now.

Old August 23rd 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

My Names Nobody wrote:

> As a matter of fact, I have never heard of the new 3 valve modular motors
> referred to as anything else, certainly not 24 or 30 valve engines.

Personally, I have never ever heard anyone say 2V, or 4V.

Everone says 2 barrel, 4 barrel, 2 valve, 4 valve.
My bike has a 3 valve chamber, I never say 3V. I say "three valve".

There should be no confusion in an audible conversation about engines.

The original postee should check out modularfords.com for better
answers to his questions.

Old August 24th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Well, after the 1912 Hispano-Suizas and the Peugeot racecars, there
were 4v Bugattis, Duesenbergs, Millers, and others. Stutz, I think?

Harry Miller built his first 4-valve in 1917, a 289 ci four. It was
inspired by a Peugeot unit in a racecar that Miller had wrenched on.
His golden years of 1920-1929 were founded on a string of blown 4-valve
straight-eights. These engines put out 285 hp from 91 ci -- 3.1 hp/ci
-- and did so for 500 miles at a stretch at Indy.

These years also gave birth to a 151 ci 4-valve four cylinder, designed
for marine use. In 1930 a customer installed one in his racecar. His
racing success caused Miller to release a 220 ci road-going version.
This project caused him to go bankrupt in 1933. Bankruptcy caused him
to sell the four cylinder's tooling to an employee named Fred
Offenhauser. The engine powered 24 Indy winners from 1934 to 1960, a
27-year reign which includes four years -- '42-'42 -- when the 500 was
cancelled. Between 1950 and 1960, Offy cars, putting out around 420 hp
from 252 ci, finished 1-2-3 in ten of eleven 500's.

The Ford Cosworth DFV (dohc four valve) challenged and finally
displaced the Offy upon its debut in 1963. The Offy continued to win,
however. It scored its last victory in 1978 and ran in its last race
in 1982.

Point being, the 1912 Hispano-Suiza inspired the 1917 Miller 289, which
was the ancestor of the 1930 Miller 220, which became the 1933-1982
Offy. So it was a few more than one car.

The earliest 4-valve road cars I can think of, other than the Bugs and
Deusies of the 20's, are the four cylinder Jensen sports car of the
early '70's, with a Cosworth head, and a 4-valve head that Lotus put on
the Ford four-bangers it was using. There was also a Cosworth Vega in
this same period. It seems like the exotics were late to the game, and
that the Japanese were the first to bring the 4v into the mainstream.

http://www.milleroffy.com/Racing%20History.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offenhauser

180 Out

Old August 24th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

wrote:

The engine powered 24 Indy winners from 1934 to 1960, a
> 27-year reign which includes four years -- '42-'42 -- when the 500 was
> cancelled. Between 1950 and 1960, Offy cars, putting out around 420 hp
> from 252 ci, finished 1-2-3 in ten of eleven 500's.

Let's re-write these two sentences:

This engine powered 26 Indy winners from 1934 to 1976, a 43-year reign
which includes four years -- '42-'45 -- when the 500 was cancelled.
Its "Miller" brand ancestor won three more. Between 1950 and 1960,

http://www.motorsportsetc.com/champs/indy500.htm

> The Ford Cosworth DFV (dohc four valve) challenged and finally
> displaced the Offy upon its debut in 1963. The Offy continued to win,
> however. It scored its last victory in 1978 and ran in its last race
> in 1982.

Make that, "its last *Indy-car* victory" was in 1978. The Offy's last
*Indy 500* win was in '76.

Old August 25th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
lab~rat >:-)

On 23 Aug 2006 13:52:18 -0700, "
> puked:

>My Names Nobody wrote:
>
>> As a matter of fact, I have never heard of the new 3 valve modular motors
>> referred to as anything else, certainly not 24 or 30 valve engines.

>Personally, I have never ever heard anyone say 2V, or 4V.
>
>Everone says 2 barrel, 4 barrel, 2 valve, 4 valve.
>My bike has a 3 valve chamber, I never say 3V. I say "three valve".

Then what do they mean by 2bbl and 4bbl?

Bubble?
--
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Old August 25th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Bob Willard

lab~rat >:-) wrote:

> On 23 Aug 2006 13:52:18 -0700, "
> > puked:
>

>>My Names Nobody wrote:
>>

>>>As a matter of fact, I have never heard of the new 3 valve modular motors
>>>referred to as anything else, certainly not 24 or 30 valve engines.

>>Personally, I have never ever heard anyone say 2V, or 4V.
>>
>>Everone says 2 barrel, 4 barrel, 2 valve, 4 valve.
>>My bike has a 3 valve chamber, I never say 3V. I say "three valve".
>>

> Then what do they mean by 2bbl and 4bbl?
>
> Bubble?
> --
> lab~rat >:-)
> Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

Bbl means barrel. To quote from Wikipedia:

"In reference to petroleum, specifically oil and natural gas liquids,
bbl is an abbreviation for 1 barrel, equal to exactly 42 U.S. gallons,
or approximately 159 liters."
--
Cheers, Bob

Thinking of selling my A4 [email protected][_1_] Audi 8 August 9th 06 05:56 AM
Thinking of getting a M3 CK BMW 3 April 25th 06 10:57 AM
Mitsubishi Montero - thinking of buying one. Is it reliable? fern 4x4 5 August 25th 04 11:00 AM
Building a rockcrawler from scratch Terra Guard Fabrications 4x4 0 December 21st 03 01:59 AM