New "City Golf" models - anyone looked at them?

Old November 3rd 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected]

Default New "City Golf" models - anyone looked at them?

Here in Canada, VW is advertising the "City Golf" and "City Jetta" as
their entry-level cars, at what seems to be pretty attractive pricing.
For example, the City Jetta has a base sticker price of only $14,900
CAD. http://www.vw.ca/vwca/models/0,,143,00.html

Has anyone had a look at one of these? Bought one? Test driven one?
My '86 GTI is getting near retirement age, and a black City Golf is on
the list of potential successors.

Old November 3rd 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Ernest

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Here in Canada, VW is advertising the "City Golf" and "City Jetta" as
> their entry-level cars, at what seems to be pretty attractive pricing.
> For example, the City Jetta has a base sticker price of only $14,900
> CAD. http://www.vw.ca/vwca/models/0,,143,00.html
>
> Has anyone had a look at one of these? Bought one? Test driven one?
> My '86 GTI is getting near retirement age, and a black City Golf is on
> the list of potential successors.

In South Africa the Mk 1 Golf is still sold and the newest model is a 90kW
1.8 litre version. Although we have the Mk V too, the Mk 1 is a budget
model which still sells very well. Since the Mk 2 came out in 1984, the Mk
1 has been called Citi Golf in SA.

Have a look at www.vw.co.za. They have not got the new 90kW version on the
website yet but you can order it at a dealer.

Old November 3rd 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Papa

I hope there will be a US version. Looks like a nice design, judging from
the website you referenced.

Old November 3rd 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected]

I just checked the Wikipedia, which says this about the Canadian "City
Golf" model, which is based on the Mark 4 version, and unrelated to the
Mark 1-based "Citi Golf" sold in SA:

Mark 4 "City" Golf in Canada
In Canada, the Golf 4 is now sold as the City Golf alongside the
Mark 5 model, badged as the Rabbit. The Volkswagen City Golf,
a carry-over Golf 4 , is available in the Canadian automotive market
as of October of 2006. It is not to be available in the American
market. It has a base price of C$14,900. The only engine
available is the 2.0L SOHC with 115 horsepower. It is a less
expensive entry-level alternative to the Rabbit. It is not related
to the Volkswagen Citi Golf. Similarly, the Mark 4 Jetta will be
reintroduced for the 2007 model year in Canada as the City Jetta.

The Golf Mark 4 also continues to be sold in countries like China,
Brazil, and Mexico.

Old November 5th 06, 10:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Arrebeest

wrote:
> Here in Canada, VW is advertising the "City Golf" and "City Jetta" as
> their entry-level cars, at what seems to be pretty attractive pricing.
> For example, the City Jetta has a base sticker price of only $14,900
> CAD.
http://www.vw.ca/vwca/models/0,,143,00.html

> Has anyone had a look at one of these? Bought one? Test driven one?
> My '86 GTI is getting near retirement age, and a black City Golf is on
> the list of potential successors.

run out models, a new mk4 golf or bora for secondhand prices in the EU.

--
Nee momenteel effe geen XT

Old November 19th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

"Ernest" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>> Here in Canada, VW is advertising the "City Golf" and "City Jetta" as
>> their entry-level cars, at what seems to be pretty attractive pricing.
>> For example, the City Jetta has a base sticker price of only $14,900
>> CAD. http://www.vw.ca/vwca/models/0,,143,00.html
>>
>> Has anyone had a look at one of these? Bought one? Test driven one?
>> My '86 GTI is getting near retirement age, and a black City Golf is on
>> the list of potential successors.

> In South Africa the Mk 1 Golf is still sold and the newest model is a 90kW
> 1.8 litre version. Although we have the Mk V too, the Mk 1 is a budget
> model which still sells very well. Since the Mk 2 came out in 1984, the
> Mk 1 has been called Citi Golf in SA.
>
> Have a look at www.vw.co.za. They have not got the new 90kW version on
> the website yet but you can order it at a dealer.

the City Golf/City Jetta in Canada and the CitiGolf in SA have nothing to do
with one another other than continuing production and sales of an "old"
bodystyle alongside the "new" bodystyle. The former are Mk4s and the latter
is a Mk1.

Old November 19th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

"Papa" > wrote in message
nk.net...
>I hope there will be a US version. Looks like a nice design, judging from
>the website you referenced.

Neither the Mk4 City Golf/City Jetta nor the Mk1 CitiGolf are coming to the
US.

Old November 20th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected]

wrote:
> Here in Canada, VW is advertising the "City Golf" and "City Jetta" as
> their entry-level cars, at what seems to be pretty attractive pricing.
> For example, the City Jetta has a base sticker price of only $14,900
> CAD.
http://www.vw.ca/vwca/models/0,,143,00.html

> Has anyone had a look at one of these? Bought one? Test driven one?
> My '86 GTI is getting near retirement age, and a black City Golf is on
> the list of potential successors.

I just bought a black 2007 City Jetta, fully loaded with a 5 speed
manual and picked it up last Friday. Personally, I prefer this model
(the A4/MK4) to the new Mk5 model which looks more like a Toyota
Corolla on steroids than a VW. So far, the ride is excellent. OK, so
the 2.0L is nothing to write home about, but hey, a fully loaded, and I
mean fully loaded, Jetta for just over $24k (Canadian) is one heck of a
deal and excellent bang/metal for the buck. As a matter of fact, the
dealers cannot keep them on their lot long enough, except perhaps for
the automatics. I was lucky, I got mine in a week. Most other dealers I
visited couldn't get one in before March 2007. I suggest you test drive
one. The quality is excellent and it's a really great car to drive.